Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Tune up utilities 2008

This is a discussion on Tune up utilities 2008 within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; Hi all, I just wondered if anyone has used Tune Up Utilities 2008 to optimize their P.C, and their Internet ...

diverse180 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Tune up utilities 2008

Hi all,

I just wondered if anyone has used Tune Up Utilities 2008 to optimize their P.C, and their Internet conection, and if there has been any problems afterwards?

Tune up system optimizer / Optimize internet connection:

When it comes to selecting channel I clicked DSL, CABLE MODEM OR SATELLITE (FROM 16MBIT)...I'm assuming this is the right one as I'm on max (up to 16meg).

When clicking O.K it tells me my settings are not optimal and that to optimize my internet connection it will do the following:

Max packet size (mtu)
      Maximum packet size will be changed from 1500 bytes to 1492 bytes.

Receiving window (rwin)
      Receiving window will be changed from 17520 bytes to 487872 bytes

I haven't gone any further yet, ie clicked o.k, as I wanted to ask first if anyone has experienced any problems after doing so.

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Tune up utilities 2008

I would advise using a broadband specialized tool for make changes to your set up, rather than a 'jack of all trades'. DrTCP and TCPOptimiser are 2 of the best in this respect, links below.

Sky use an MTU of 1500, whether making this 1492 will make any difference I couldn't say. Remember the Sky routers are set to 1500 by default. The recommended rwin seems to be very high to me. It means if anything is dropped there is a lot of info to be retransmitted, which can slow your connection down considerably.

Why don't you go over to Tweaking for speed - dslreports.com and do a test for comparison.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.