Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

The official what have the government lost or had stolen this week thread

This is a discussion on The official what have the government lost or had stolen this week thread within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; No matter where the user, users are all the same - save data on the hdd! Why don't they use ...

steesh2302 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Broadband ISP: VM 10Meg
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: VM V+ HD
      Thanks

Re: The official what have the government lost or had stolen this week thread

No matter where the user, users are all the same - save data on the hdd! Why don't they use servers?!

And these people are meant to be running the country - think I'll emigrate

2. Advertisement
      Kbramman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dulwich
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Erm, lets see, Hazel Blears had the entire PC stolen, this is in an office of about 4 staff, why would they have a server? Most likely they have a local network setup.

The laptops, mobile working, that would be when your not in the office so you don't have access to the server.

Please mind the door as we slam it on your ass

SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Remote access to the server? or that be deemed as not secure enough, having a server in each department has got to be cheaper then replacing thousands of misplaced laptops surely?
      "To help would be a great adventure"

Thanks

Exactly. Government workers handling sensitive/confidential data should never keep all data on pc/laptop. Just asking for trouble

mikey4020 is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Halfway/WSHAL
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium (4th Aug)
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Are we really talking thousands of laptops here? Can't have been that many surely. I stopped worrying about my data when I went to the US on holiday, they take your picture and finger print on arrival so that along with all my details on my passport could be anywhere by now
      Last edited by mikey4020; 20-06-08 at 12:55 AM.

Thanks

ok, I explained that wrong, Hazel Blears had nothing to do with departmental security, other then they emailed it to her constituency office - probably because she told them to.
      That is why they won't be on a server most likely, nothing to do with Departments or the civil service, these are privately employed people.

Laptops - I said these because the story above was about NHS laptops, yes they probably do use docking stations to connect to a server, however remote access is a best flakey and at worst pointless.

Many departments have a desktop where you do not save things to and store on a server, or servers for most departments.

But laptops are inherrently different, you will always find people store documents on the hdd because you won't have access to them on the train, or potentially in a different hospital. There is currently NO NHS wide IT system, and the one they are building is years off.

Steesh, are you saying it should all be on paper? We should go back to using typewriters instead of computers?
      The number of restricted papers that are written and created each day would shock you, if you think that in certain departments everything that is written is restricted!

SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikey4020 View Post
      Are we really talking thousands of laptops here? Can't have been that many surely.
      Not far of..
      More than 1,000 government laptops lost or stolen, new figures show | Politics | guardian.co.uk
      "To help would be a great adventure"

Thanks

No, not paper. I'm saying hold nothing on a laptop. Store all on a central server, and access via remote secure site using a 3g card etc, wireless network on a train, and connect to https site using secure credentials, as well as a security token. That doesn't take years to implement

Thanks

Wireless networks on trains, those that have them are nonsecure.
      3g cards, as good as the mobile phone network in the area, or whilst travelling by train, known as pointless.

Plus, as we are now using encrypted laptops 3g cards are not compatible - I know this because I've just had to hand 3 back because they can't get them to work correctly, plus they won't work when I will need them.

But aside from the technical side of this, it costs money. Money that Departments do not have because you, the voter, feel that the civil service is too big.
      So budgets are cut, staff numbers are cut, but the work loads increase because of the staff cuts.

It's all well and good saying don't do this, go and do this. But build into the fact that major departments are like major companies, fitting a new bit of IT in takes months of testing and retesting, then deploying across multiple sites.
      But that is time and moeny they don't have because you and Parliament want to cut left and right.

Thanks

Kbramman, chill. A little argument didn't hurt. Besides, it's Friday. Have a drink

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast