Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

WARNING: Cold callers claiming to be Sky.

This is a discussion on WARNING: Cold callers claiming to be Sky. within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; Ok I have no idea where to put this so I shall stick it here and hope a moderator sticks ...

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

WARNING: Cold callers claiming to be Sky.

Ok I have no idea where to put this so I shall stick it here and hope a moderator sticks it somewhere more appropiate.

At 11:30am we got a phone call from somebody claiming to be from Sky, they asked for our address and postcode, then they started asking for our sky security details.

At this point my wife became extremely suspisious, why would a cold caller want our security details, surely we should be asking them to prove that they are from Sky. My wife pointed this out, they told my wife to take out the viewing card out of the box and they would read it back to us, when my wife said that we can get the number from the services menu and was told "that is impossible, viewing card numbers cannot be read off the screen".
      So after bringing up the viewing card number they read our viewing card number back to us, then demanded the sky security stuff again.

My wife was not convinced, they refused to say what the call was about, they refused to give us a number where we call them back, my wife said if it is so important they can send us a letter and we were told that it couldn't be put down in a letter it had to be dealt with now.

They then offered to put her on hold so that they could play the Sky on hold message, my wife pointed out that wasn't exactly difficult to obtained and they were getting nastier and nastier about and just kept on demaning the security stuff and without it they couldn't proceed.

After they got throughly obnoxious and still claiming to be Sky we hang up on them, at whitch point they then refused to clear the line for several more minutes.

After we dialed 1471 we got the number 0800 183 0142, which when you dial it you get a recorded message saying that it was from Response Handling Ltd.

We then decided to phone Sky Customer Realtions on 0207 705 3000 to find out what was going on, we were informed by Sky that Response Handling Ltd is now allowed to do 3rd party marketing calls on behalf of Sky and is allowed access to the Sky systems to do this!!!!!!!

Well at no point were we told that they were acting on behalf of Sky, they kept on insisting that they were in fact Sky themselves, they got more and more obnoxious with us when we refused to deal with them and yet the Sky system shows that a phone call was made to us by them but as it was a point of call offer they have no idea what they phone call was about.

My wife was gobsmacked the fact that Sky has allowed these guys access to the Sky systems or that Sky don't know what they are up to, or that Sky still don't recommend them for extended warrenties they only recommend legal & general yet they can try and sell me what they like as they don't have to put down what they have done on Sky's systems.

Customer relations also didn't seem to be too bothered that this was happeneing and Sky felt that we were acting unreasonable complaining about what was happening and my wife was told that when Response Handling Ltd cold call they have to ask 3 security questions from us beofrre they can proceed "under the data protection act rules". Strange that the Home Office recomends that nobody should give any form of personal details out to cold callers.

So my recommendation if somebody phones claiming to be from Sky, and starts demanding your security questions tell them to go to hell.
      Last edited by Undecided Adrian; 16-04-08 at 01:07 PM. Reason: spelling
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

2. Advertisement
      Kidd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Netherley,Liverpool
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

Re: WARNIG: Cold callers claiming to be Sky.

I got a call yesterday morning (Tuesday 15-4-08) from a chap claiming to be from Sky but as I was a bit busy told him I couldn't remember my security code, He said he couldn't proceed without it so I appologised and hung up!

greyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01267
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet
      Router: Whatever Plusnet supply
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Register with TPS (Telephone Preference Service) at TPS Registration it does take a couple of months for it to kick in but it does work. You can also register your preference not to recieve spam snail mail as well on the same site. That does not work quite as well as the telephone preferences but its better than not being registered at all. I give all cold callers, well those that get through now which isn't many, the hang up treatment including Sky. If I want something from them I will ring them.

steesh2302 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Broadband ISP: VM 10Meg
      Sky TV: VM V+ HD
      Thanks

Nuisance callers, thank gawd I got caller display on my phones, if i don't recognise it, I don't answer.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

That's the thing we have been registered with the TPS for quite a while now and we are down for no 3rd party or direct marketing from Sky.

The fact they will happily ignore that and let 3rd parties all over their systems and phone you against your preferences on their systems is worrying.

But anyhoo complaint has been put into TPS so a slap on the wrist for them.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!