Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Will sky be the next liberty surf ?

This is a discussion on Will sky be the next liberty surf ? within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; I posted yesterday that i was thinking of joining Sky (i still am btw) but it got me thinking. Does ...

bulldog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNCSN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Will sky be the next liberty surf ?

I posted yesterday that i was thinking of joining Sky (i still am btw) but it got me thinking.
      Does anyone remember the old liberty surf package ? basicaly you bought a disk for a fixed price and that gave you a years free net connection.
      I was lucky really i think i paid 25 and got about six months out of it before the server suddenly went down.
      No explanation to its customers or anything i later got told it was because they had under priced themselfs and could not carry on the service.
      I think tiscali bought them out in the end anyway like i say it got me thinking about Sky's deals.
      I know sky is a big company but it must cost a fortune to run an isp they have deals
      1 just a setup fee then free
      2 a setup fee and a fiver
      3 no setup fee and a tenner and an engineer if you want it
      Plus they all come with router ect how does it work ? surely the cost of running an isp is more ?
      Like i say it just got me thinking but interesting.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Hi bulldog

If you are asking if Sky will go bust then no i don't believe they will.

As an ISP thay have a budget of 470 million over 4 years to spend. To put that into context Plusnet a large ISP based in sheffield are valued as a company 40 million approx.

Sky i feel have just allowed too many people to sign up and depend on too many outside suppliers. These include BT

The best thing that Sky could do now would be to suspend signups for a couple of weeks to clear the backlog. But then people would moan at them for not being able to signup. So they are in a catch 22 situation.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Sky is used to losing money they lost a small fortune in there early years but they knew they would but it never stopped them and now they are making a small fortune, unlike BSB who never had the funding they need to compete.

So as far as Sky Broadband goes they will approach it with the same attitude I guess and with the kind of resources that Sky have I very much doubt they will fail.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Hi bulldog

If you are asking if Sky will go bust then no i don't believe they will.

As an ISP thay have a budget of 470 million over 4 years to spend. To put that into context Plusnet a large ISP based in sheffield are valued as a company 40 million approx.

Sky i feel have just allowed too many people to sign up and depend on too many outside suppliers. These include BT

The best thing that Sky could do now would be to suspend signups for a couple of weeks to clear the backlog. But then people would moan at them for not being able to signup. So they are in a catch 22 situation.
      WOW thats a big budget and i think you right about relying on outside surppliers and clearing its back log first.
      I am going to change over tomorrow to the connect option they recon the other packages will be with me in 2 months and they will change me over.
      I dont know what you guys think but that might be the best way to do it ?
      I think it should help with some of the delays (fingers crossed) because my exchange (BT) wont be backlogged with jobs and when it comes it should be straight forward?
      Last edited by bulldog; 17-09-06 at 02:38 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      If you are happy to make the move to connect first them once your exchange is ready for LLU customers then go for it, just remember you will have a 40 activation fee to pay.

Good luck with what ever you decide.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yep 40 pound is a bummer so i will ring them and bring that up ive been with sky for years and one thing i do know they like to haggle.
      The old dog knows how to chew a bone ( eeeewwww thats not right did i type that lol )
      Just out of interest how do you pay for the service ? do they just take it out with your sky dd ?
      Last edited by Wheelie; 17-09-06 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Please do not quote the preceding post. Please use QUOTE sparingly if you wish to aim a reply at a user then please use @User Name this helps us to keep the forum tidy and posts more compact. Thanks

SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      dd or cc payments when you are connected
      "To help would be a great adventure"

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks SatDish i will let you all know how i get on tomorrow
      Last edited by Wheelie; 17-09-06 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Please do not quote the preceding post. Please use QUOTE sparingly if you wish to aim a reply at a user then please use @User Name this helps us to keep the forum tidy and posts more compact. Thanks

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      The 40 I am not sure about but the monthly fee will be added to your Sky bill hen the reason the SkyBB is only open to Sky customers as you cannot have one without the other.
      Ray

click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cheers i dont mind the monthly fee its better than the 29 i pay to bt
      Last edited by Wheelie; 17-09-06 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Please do not quote the preceding post. Please use QUOTE sparingly if you wish to aim a reply at a user then please use @User Name this helps us to keep the forum tidy and posts more compact. Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast