Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

How stupid are the Inland Revenue?

This is a discussion on How stupid are the Inland Revenue? within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; Ooh, choices, should I step in and defend the government, should I explain why it'll be a "junior member" who ...

Kbramman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dulwich
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: How stupid are the Inland Revenue?

Ooh, choices, should I step in and defend the government, should I explain why it'll be a "junior member" who sent it out, or should I say why we will still end up getting ID cards no matter what happens...

Hmm... I'll think about it and might post later if I get bored during work today, whilst I laugh at my colleagues over in HMRC..

2. Advertisement
      SimpleRules is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by terrorvis View Post
      Of cause we do. The current Labour government wants to go ahead with ID cards. As a voter I don't trust the ID card scheme, and I don't trust that our government can act responsibly with our data, therefore I can vote against them in the next general election.

ID cards are going to cost billions, and as proven over the last couple of years, no effect on terrorism which has recently effected this country, which is the excuse they are bringing them in under. The whole scheme is an expensive joke.
      Problem is we don't have any viable alternatives, they are all as bloody useless as each other. We only have 2 main parties in this country and they really don't seem very different any more, we only have the illusion of choice.

I doubt any other party will truly scrap ID cards, the petty pen pushers absolutely love the control they have over our daily lives and look for it to get worse, these ID cards will undoubtedly be linked up with EU systems so the cheese-eating pen pushers can also exert imeasurable amounts of control over our lives ... these big ID databases will be available across 27 nations, some of which I wouldn't consider giving data about my dog to because they really are Europes rubbish dump of identity fraudsters and other criminals(ie. Romania).

terrorvis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Draytek 2830n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Fair enough, I understand your argument that the two main parties are basically the same. However on this issue I think the tories have said scrap the database due to cost and effectiveness.

The lib dems are quite vocal about the stupidity of the idea.

Even if the government continues with the ID card plan, I am not going to have my details on it. Neither will thousands of others. Are they going to lock us all up for withholding information?

As our government continue to make these stupid mistakes, more and more people will be refusing to give info. Under the DPA you are allowed to withhold evidence if you don't believe it will be kept in accordance to the DPA if I remember correctly. That's before looking towards the european court of human rights.

In other news... Not only did this database get sent on the 18th of October never to turn up... a few days later when it was clear it had been lost guess what they did? They sent it though the post AGAIN! Priceless

Kbramman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dulwich
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

SimpleRules, sorry to say this, but us "pen pushers" really don't want ID cards any more then the rest of you.

Many ideas like these or School Academies, come from either No 10 or other Ministers, Civil Servants get no choice in the matter. Our job starts when these ideas turn up, and we have to come up with a way of getting them to work in practice, even if it's badly!

When the ID card bill was debated in both the house of lords and house of commons, both sets tried to throw out the bill and failed, they then watered down the bill to such a state that the ID card scheme is pointless.
      This isn't the Government's fault sadly, the orginal bill did state that you had to have it all the time, there were also other areas that were heavily watered down to such a degree that it becomes an uphill battle to get them to work even partly right...

Why have an ID card if you don't need it all the time???

What control do you think the civil service or government really have over your life? Really here the question is about the civiil service, Ministers can come up with the ideas, and we shout a hell of a lot of them down, but there are some times when this can just not happen!

Oh, and from people I know in Home Office/IPS they don't want these systems linked into the EU databases, and there are no plans to do so.

Sorry for the longish post and half rant, but I'm well fed up with us all being criticised and "outsourced" due to public perception that we do nothing!

Keir

SimpleRules is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Its not the civil servants etc that bother me, its the MPs, government, etc who come up with ideas to take more and more of our data and stick it somewhere, the ones who continually centralise everything making it even easier for stuff like this to happen.

The people who want any form of ID card are dangerous people, to give so much information to government, information not even Hitler, Stalin or the rest held, is inconcievable to me ... even if they do claim it will somehow make terrorists disappear.

The pen pushers reffer to MPs and MEPs ... I guess civil servant is a good name, slaves to the ministers I guess.

SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kbramman View Post
      Ooh, choices, should I step in and defend the government, should I explain why it'll be a "junior member" who sent it out, or should I say why we will still end up getting ID cards no matter what happens...

Hmm... I'll think about it and might post later if I get bored during work today, whilst I laugh at my colleagues over in HMRC..
      You didn't post the cd's did you?
      "To help would be a great adventure"

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

It just gets better

A junior official from the Child Benefit IT department has reportedly been suspended and sent to a nearby hotel with a minder in order to protect his or her identity.

Senior officials now in frame for HMRC data fiasco | The Register

And now after all this our taxes are paying for this person to stay in a hotel.

2 x CD's - 3.00
      Delivery - 6.00
      Wages for staff member - 35.00
      Cost of looking for the discs / manpower - 3million

Put the muppet up in a hotel - Priceless!
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

who ever has the disks may find this link usefull
      Last edited by SatDish; 23-11-07 at 08:20 PM.
      "To help would be a great adventure"

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Nice of them to keep all this so quiet for almost a month.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast