Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Unfair Contract Terms

This is a discussion on Unfair Contract Terms within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; It is indeed 8 Working days not calendar days and yet again I misinterpreted your post lol, im just going ...

The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      It is indeed 8 Working days not calendar days and yet again I misinterpreted your post lol, im just going to stop now

2. Advertisement
      dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i was promised that my evaluation would re-start from the day of delivery of my REPLACEMENT router when i complained i would not be given an opportunity to evaluate it properly. However this was all done over the phone and legally i expect they could still back-down from their promise as nothing was written.

EL_PRESEDENTE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      well tbh i think this having to use there router is to make it as easy as possible this way you dont have to go through configuring your router and for a majority of the population they cant/dont understand certain things i think sky should be commended on making it simple as possible.

BUT

they should include a way for you to use your router incase theres a hardware problem with there routers or for more advanced users.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i think you are probablly right. but who knows - only sky, it will be intersting to see what they do in my case as i have made no secret of what i have had to do and why.

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Been following yuor debate. I have the saem problem having a very nice zyxel router i want to use as it has more facilities than the sky box. i was only advised of the need to use the sky box when the T 7C's arrived after i signed up. Clearly a case of unfair practice and trading. Need to direct this striaghht at the OFT and get some answers. Clearly Sky do not respond. Have sent nubmeroues emails and only got the auotreposnder to date!

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Here is my take on all of this:

Sky probably put the bit about "you must use their router" because they thought no one could use anything else. I find it hard to believe anyone would care what you were connecting with if you were happy with the service.

Sky have probably done all of this in an attempt to reduce the number of support calls, thinking if they only have one router to support they will not get bogged down with having to support others - there is nothing wrong with this idea it it quite sensible really, if you want to reduce support calls. Thet probably hid some of the router functions so people will not use them unwisely and then end up calling support to sort it out - once agin nothing wrong with that. And the bit about "allowing access to the router to upgrade it" once again this would reduce support calls.

As far as username and password management goes - all sky have to do is scan the mac code on each router they send out and create an account for it. I don't think they are delibrately hiding it, but doing so could once again remove one line of possible support when someone has changed it and cannot get in anymore.

They have tried to build the system as "plug and play" and for some this has worked well. Unfortunately where the whole idea falls apart, is that it seems many of the routers are faulty - this leaves you without a working connection unless you obtain your user name and password and use an alternative or backup router you are stuffed.

I will await my router replacement and if it works i will use it, if not then i will carry on using my own until such time that sky may or may not decide to terminate my contract for doing so. I think this is unlikely - but time will tell

Unregistered -incognito Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Quote Originally Posted by EL_PRESEDENTE View Post
      well tbh i think this having to use there router is to make it as easy as possible this way you dont have to go through configuring your router and for a majority of the population they cant/dont understand certain things i think sky should be commended on making it simple as possible.
      My thoughts exactly, however a big flaw in that,
      for that to work properly, we would all, have to
      use exactly the same Spec PC, built from the same brand of gear,
      even then, thats no guarantee, they will all be compatible

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Give them time

EL_PRESEDENTE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      well the other point of the "one router for all programę" is there call centre mmm ill use the term staff loosely have the f&q on how to fix and setup little problems that if everyone had a different router they wont seem so smarty pants then.

i think itll be just a matter of time before they give you the option to use your own router (gawd i hope) as nice as its working now it still raises the temp about 5 degrees when its downloading

john5197 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Astley Bridge
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Not sure if this has any bearing on the matter, but BT say that only equipment subject to their approval should be connected to BT lines, and if you connect anything not approved you could be disconnected, perhaps Sky have seen BT's T&C's, or can a router give Sky any problems on their Broadband service?,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast