Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky buys amstrad

This is a discussion on Sky buys amstrad within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; from wotsat: What Satellite & Digital TV Sky buys Amstrad Sky has created its own consumer technology R&D and production ...

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky buys amstrad

from wotsat:

What Satellite & Digital TV

Sky buys Amstrad

Sky has created its own consumer technology R&D and production division after buying Amstrad for £125million.
      The deal is backed by Amstrad's directors and its chairman, TV grump Sir Alan Sugar, with shareholders receiving a 24 per cent bonus on the current price of Amstrad stock.

Sky's chief executive, James Murdoch, said: “Sky and Amstrad have had a long and positive relationship. The acquisition accelerates supply chain improvement , and will help us to drive innovation and efficiency for the benefit of our customers.”

Sky said the deal will provide it with an in-house product design and development capability, so it would be able to accelerate the development of new and more innovative products.

It will also have greater control over product design, technical specifications, and product quality, and will save on the cost of equipment to Sky.

Amstrad's chairman and chief executive, Sir Alan Sugar, will stay on to run the new division, with a healthy £34.5m in his back pocket.

He said: “Amstrad has worked closely with Sky for many years and I cannot imagine a better home for the Amstrad business and its talented people.

"Our companies share the entrepreneurial spirit of bringing innovation to the largest number of customers. Sky is a great British success story. I'm proud to have worked so closely with it, and I look forward to continuing to play a part in this exciting business.”

However, the deal will probably mean the end of business with external equipment manufacturers like Pace and Thomson, which had already declined over recent years.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky buys amstrad

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

I bloomin looked down the posts as well to see if someone else had, but couldn't see anything!

i'll get my coat

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

tbh I think Sky got an absolute bargain @ £125 million, if I worked for Sir Alan, I would have got him twice that much.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

PeteC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: cable
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

well aslong as the apprentice rubbish can now be taken off the tv it was worth it