Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor

This is a discussion on Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; After running, the advisor, it says the best version for me is home basic I WANTED ULTIMATE, lol! Anyway, the ...

Ryan1992 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wishaw
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor

After running, the advisor, it says the best version for me is home basic

I WANTED ULTIMATE, lol!

Anyway, the advisor also alerted me of a few problems that I need some help on, here is the info, direct from the upgrade advisor:

The USB adapter is my wireless adapter, somehow wont work on Vista

System details:
      No issues were detected for these system components
      The following table contains system components that meet the minimum hardware requirements needed for Windows Vista. Category Action Required Explanation
      CPU No action required Your computer's CPU is AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
      System memory (RAM) No action required Your computer has 1.00 GB of RAM.
      DVD drive No action required Your computer can read DVDs.

Device details:
      Review these device issues for Windows Vista
      Check the following table for device issues you should address to ensure they will work properly with Windows Vista. Issue Type Category Model Manufacturer Action Required

(ZD1211B)IEEE 802.11 b+g USB Adapter ZyDAS Before installing Windows Vista, go to the device manufacturer's website to download the latest driver for this device. After installing Windows Vista, install the saved driver.

Cannot find information on these devices
      The following table contains devices for which we have no information. Category Model Manufacturer Action Required

WAN Miniport (ATW) America Online, Inc. There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

Realtek AC'97 Audio Realtek There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

No issues were detected for these devices
      The following table contains devices that will automatically work after installation of Windows Vista. Category Model Manufacturer Action Required

ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series ATI Technologies Inc. No action required

Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC Realtek Semiconductor Corp. No action required

Agere Systems PCI-SV92PP Soft Modem Agere No action required

VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller VIA No action required

Program details:
      Review these program issues for Windows Vista
      Check the following table for program issues you should address to ensure they will work properly with Windows Vista. Issue Type Program Vendor Version Data Source Action Required
      ATI Desktop Component ATI Technologies, Inc. 6.14.10.5166 Microsoft This program might have minor compatibility issues after upgrading to Windows Vista. For more information, go to the vendor's website.
      Windows Messenger Microsoft This program might have minor compatibility issues after upgrading to Windows Vista. For more information, go to the vendor's website.
      Microsoft Interactive Training Microsoft This program has compatibility issues and will not work in Windows Vista. For more information, go to the vendor's website.

These programs have a Windows Vista logo
      The following table contains programs that have received a Windows Vista Logo from Microsoft. Program Vendor Version Logo Type Action Required
      Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 1.1
      Microsoft This program has no known compatibility issues.
      MSN
      Windows Live Messenger Microsoft Corporation 8.1.178

Task list:
      Selected Edition Current System Configuration
      Manufacturer:HP Pavilion 061Model:ES067AA-ABU a1429.ukCPU:AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+Memory:1.00 GBHard Disk Drives:"C" - 144.89 GB Free (180.59 GB Total)
      "D" - 477.67 MB Free (5.70 GB Total)

Things you need to do before installing Windows Vista
      Please visit Windows Update to download all the latest critical updates for your system before installing Windows Vista.
      Devices
      Issue Type Category Model Manufacturer Action Required

(ZD1211B)IEEE 802.11 b+g USB Adapter ZyDAS Before installing Windows Vista, go to the device manufacturer's website to download the latest driver for this device. After installing Windows Vista, install the saved driver.

Things you need to do after installing Windows Vista
      Please visit Windows Update to download all the latest critical updates for your system after installing Windows Vista.
      Because of potential incompatibilities with third party firewalls, Windows Firewall will be turned on to protect you after you install Windows Vista. You should only disable Windows firewall if you install and enable a compatible third party firewall. If you were using a third party solution on Windows XP, you should contact your vendor to ensure you have a Windows Vista compatible program.
      Programs
      Issue Type Program Vendor Version Data Source Action Required
      Microsoft Interactive Training Microsoft This program has compatibility issues and will not work in Windows Vista. For more information, go to the vendor's website.
      ATI Desktop Component ATI Technologies, Inc. 6.14.10.5166 Microsoft This program might have minor compatibility issues after upgrading to Windows Vista. For more information, go to the vendor's website.
      Windows Messenger Microsoft This program might have minor compatibility issues after upgrading to Windows Vista. For more information, go to the vendor's website.

2. Advertisement
      Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor

You shouldnt have much of a problem, You have the basics, 1GB Ram, The GFX Card, and the opticals.

You should just download all the new Vista Device drivers and save them on a flash/floppy drive, so when you do get installed you have them..

I personally reccomend, Forget doing an upgrade install and keep any software licenses safe backed up and do a brand new install and then reinstall any software and then install the drivers for your devices you have saved from before on the USB/Floppy.

When I upgraded to Vista on the PC it said Ultimate was fine and it was fine, on the Laptop it said Ultimate but it would run better with Home Basic or Premium, Yet I installed Ultimate on it and it runs fine.

newskyBOd Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

i personnaly wouldnt touch vista with a bargepole remember the days xp was new and they spew it out to make money with updates coming over the years later i know when you buy a pc it comes bundelled with vista apart from dell who realised it was such a terrible OS for their customers they went back to XP

what im trying to say is vista might be great in a few years but not yet to many problems because they dont know what half the problems are yet

big money making machine nothing else

ps i dont care if you have a go at me fibre lmao

PeteC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: cable
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

well i just found a pack of 3 OEM vista ultimates with their own licence keys for 99 + VAT so i've bought 6 to bang out on ebay

they are going for 115 a pop - nice!

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

pretty sure that vista oem has to be sold with a new machine as in microsofts terms and conditions and ebay might [and i say might ]block the selling of oem's ,although i could be wrong [and probably am ]