Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

OLD ISP viSENT BILL AFTER CLOSING ACCOUNT

This is a discussion on OLD ISP viSENT BILL AFTER CLOSING ACCOUNT within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; Today I received a bill from virgin media to be paid immediately, however I telephoned them to make sure my ...

CYMRAES is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Virgin Media Sent Bill After Closing Account

Today I received a bill from virgin media to be paid immediately, however I telephoned them to make sure my account was closed end of February and paid my final bill in March - paying for 30 day notice. After the phone call (where they were unable to find my account) where I spoke to two people as I was previously on ntl freedom they had problems finding my details, they assured me that the account would be closed 30 days after sending the MAC CODE. After the phone call I also received an email from them stating that the account would be closed.

I was connected to sky on 10th March and after paying final payment to virgin media I cancelled the direct debit. I have now sent them an email regarding the bill and a copy of their email stating that my account would be closed.

Anyone else had a problem receiving bills after closing account? I had made a point of phoning to close account so that this would not happen!
      Last edited by CYMRAES; 27-04-07 at 01:32 PM. Reason: accidentally sent before writing the message!

2. Advertisement
      adlams is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: OLD ISP viSENT BILL AFTER CLOSING ACCOUNT

Quote Originally Posted by CYMRAES View Post
      Today I received a bill
      Time & time again i see this posted, surely people must understand that if you change ISP to another one then make sure cancel your existing one. Sky or any other provider will not do it for you.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adlams View Post
      Time & time again i see this posted, surely people must understand that if you change ISP to another one then make sure cancel your existing one. Sky or any other provider will not do it for you.
      I did cancel, I am afraid what you read was the beginning of the message as I accidentally sent the thread before writing the message and had to edit!

adlams is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Apologies

Don’t Virgin bill in arrears?

Exchange:
      Thanks

The bill I received today is for service periond 22APR - 21MAY! The final bill would be for 22MARCH - 22APRIL which I paid.

I received mac code on 26th Feb, my broadband with them ceased on 10th March when I was connected to sky. 30 day notice was up on 26th March and I paid a bill for periond upto 22 April.

Russ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston Bridge (ESLVB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER115
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adlams View Post
      I migrated from Orange ( Freeserve ) to Sky and it was actually BT who cancelled my Orange broadband service. ( although i did phone to confirm this ) It would seem 'some' providers put a cancellation in for you when you request your MAC code. 'some' others don't

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
      I migrated from Orange ( Freeserve ) to Sky and it was actually BT who cancelled my Orange broadband service. ( although i did phone to confirm this ) It would seem 'some' providers put a cancellation in for you when you request your MAC code. 'some' others don't
      I know this Russ but I did cancel, I phoned them to make sure my account was closed and asked them to confirm it!

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CYMRAES View Post
      The bill I received today is for service periond 22APR - 21MAY! The final bill would be for 22MARCH - 22APRIL which I paid.
      It looks to me then that despite you telling them to cancel they didn't if they have tried to bill you for another month.

I had a similar problem with BT when I migrated to Sky, although I stopped the direct debit and eventually got things sorted, it turned out they owed me a few quid.

Exchange:
      Thanks

What a palaver! I received an email from them just before 5pm saying they could not close account by email!! I have just telephoned them giving all the dates of when MAC code given, telephone calls to close account, confirmation by email to say it would be closed and payment of bill for 30 day notice etc. Guess what, they blame sky and said that they did not use the MAC code and because of that it goes back to them and account then continues!!

I was then told that the people I needed to speak to that would be able to sort it out finished at 5pm and would I call back tomorrow between 9am and 5pm and it would be sorted out! I told him that I would not be paying two providers

Why blame sky when they had confirmed to me by phone and by email that the account would be closed.

I shall see what goes on tomorrow - I did ask if they would phone me but hey, they don't do that - now there's a surprise, just another 0870 call!

Exchange:
      Thanks

9am I was on the phone to ntl freedom/virgin media to try and sort this out, have just come off the phone after speaking to 3 people and I am not happy

It turns out that my account with them is still open and fairplay to them they are going to close it which takes me into another 30 day notice!

The blame is put on to sky because they did not use the MAC code provided and therefore my line was kept open! Although I stated that I had telephoned them 30days after receiving the MAC code to confirm that my account would be closed they didn't because sky hadn't used the MAC code!

I was told I now have to take it to OFCOM as they say sky was in breach of the rules and are liable to pay my bills and 150 to ofcom! I have ofcom's number but are closed until Monday! In the meantime they expect me to pay the bill plus I have another 30 day notice period to pay which will be next month as well, but they say I need to sort it out with sky and ofcom for them to pay.

I asked if I could have an email or a letter sent to confirm what they said - that sky did not use the mac code. He told me he couldn't do that because he couldn't send emails as he wasn't trained!! I then asked for a letter instead to confirm what I had been told, he said that a letter would be sent out to me stating that the account would be closed in 30 days but they would not mention anything about why it hadn't been cancelled before or that sky had not use the MAC code.

What I don't understand is that when I telephoned 28th March to make sure the account would be closed and told them that I was with another provider wouldn't they have known then that the MAC code hadn't been used?

If I don't pay their bills I am going to get a lot of letters from them to pay up immediately! I can see this turning into a flippin drama!

Do you think I should write to ofcom or would a phonecall be enough? Looked on their site and there is no email or form to do it online.
      Last edited by CYMRAES; 28-04-07 at 10:48 AM. Reason: added question

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast