Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

OLD ISP viSENT BILL AFTER CLOSING ACCOUNT

This is a discussion on OLD ISP viSENT BILL AFTER CLOSING ACCOUNT within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; Thank you for your replies and advice. I emailed the debt recovery people this morning but have not heard anything ...

CYMRAES is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: OLD ISP viSENT BILL AFTER CLOSING ACCOUNT

Thank you for your replies and advice. I emailed the debt recovery people this morning but have not heard anything back. I sent an email to virgin asking for an explanation and requesting a reply to my letter - I received an email from them an hour ago and guess what it said .....

Thanks for your email.

Unfortunately we are unable to disclose any account-specific information via email due to the Data Protection Act 1998.

If you'd like to call our customer support line, please use the following number:
      It is absolutely ridiculous, I just replied asking them to reply to my letter and said I had given them all the details of my account and see no reason why they couldn't give a simple explanation without disclosing specific details of my account via email. I am so cross that they did not reply to my letter which had every detail of events etc. The thing is I am a little scared about this debt recovery letter as I have never received anything like this before and have always paid my bills, but this is making me angry.
      For goodness sake, I phoned them to confirm closure of the account March 28th (as I had asked for confirmation by email the previous day and had received the same reply about the Data Protection so had to phone) which I was told was fine. It was a month later I had another bill and when I phoned they said I hadn't closed my account - they can say whatever they like over the phone and you have no record!

2. Advertisement
      Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Go to Citizens advice and print out all your emails you have had from them about your account closure as they should be able to help you. Take all the stuff you have had from both Virgin and the baliffs as well.

Exchange:
      Thanks

MORE CONFUSION
      This morning I phoned 'virgin media' after 8 mins getting through gave my account number and was told that it did not exist, I was asked my details and then was cut off! Phoned again and eventually got through and was told account did not exist - I told her that I used to be ntl freedom customer and was told that they only dealt with cable customers I had to phone another number! With me so far?! I phoned the number gave my details and they found my details and I explained the whole situation and that I had received a letter from debt company for outstanding balance of 29.23 of which I had not received a bill for. I then asked why I had not received a reply to my letter regarding this matter dated 31st May - reply: what letter? We have not received a letter - where did you send it??? I asked why I had not received a bill from them with regard the debt company's demand of outstanding balance (although I had closed the account on 28th March and had confirmation of this over the phone but then received further billing??! ) And what about closure of the account??

It was explained that the MAC code had not been used properly and that BT had 2 departments and problem is that they do not pass on information about MAC CODES blah blah blah! - pass the buck sound like! I asked why wasn't I told about this over the phone on 28th March (end of 30 day notice) when I asked if my account would be closed as from then and was given confirmation of this? He said well we did not know this at the time. I said this was unfair as I received another billing a month later when I thought the account was closed!
      Anyway, you won't believe this ... I asked about the account and he said the account is closed! I asked about the so called outstanding balance and the debt collecting letter? he said: disregard the letter WHAT??! I will calculate how much WE OWE YOU and let you know
      It turns out now that I do not owe them a penny and that they owe me money! I still do not know what to make of this, I shall wait and see what happens but this company with regard to customer service is a joke. The problem is that I have no record of this morning's conversation so anything is possible I have sent a message to the debt company with the information following my conversation with virgin media to say that I am to disregard their letter demanding payment, and had been assured by virgin media that I will not be contacted again with regard this matter.

Cross fingers!

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CYMRAES View Post
      It turns out now that I do not owe them a penny and that they owe me money!
      I think I mentioned this before that this happened with me when I left BT. At first they tried to bill me for another month but I had already stopped the direct debit so they sent me a letter stating that I owed them money. A call to India got me nowhere so I emailed them and although it took over a month to sort out we went from "yes sir you owe us money" to "no sir, we owe you money". They sent me a cheque out eventually although the first time it contained paperwork with no cheque, fortunately it turned up the second time and I could draw a line under it.

Why is moving between ISPs and closing and sorting your old account out so much trouble and hassle ?
      Last edited by Alan b; 25-07-07 at 09:45 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      Why is moving between ISPs and closing and sorting your old account out so much trouble and hassle ?
      The person I spoke to this morning tried to say that it is BT to blame as far as the MAC code is concerned as they have (apparently) 2 departments and one isn't communicating with the other and letting the old ISP's know that the MAC code has been used by customer - when the customer a month later has another bill and contacts them, they tell them that the MAC code wasn't used and therefore account wasn't closed, (even though it was used) and it isn't their fault because they don't receive the information.

I do think it is disgusting that they use a debt recovery agency to demand money when they haven't even billed you for the so called outstanding balance which turns out doesn't exist! How many people get a scare and just pays up to these people? I was angry and also a bit scared when I received the demand for money as I have never had anything like that before as I always pay my bills. There wasn't even an apology!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789