Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

OLD ISP viSENT BILL AFTER CLOSING ACCOUNT

This is a discussion on OLD ISP viSENT BILL AFTER CLOSING ACCOUNT within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; Originally Posted by Russ I don't think it works like that, try logging into your sky mail from another isp ...

CYMRAES is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: OLD ISP viSENT BILL AFTER CLOSING ACCOUNT

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
      I don't think it works like that, try logging into your sky mail from another isp and i think you will find you can't....ie i was with orange and migrated to Sky, as soon as i tried getting mail from my orange account ( when i fist migrated )through outlook express i found i couldn't. Yet if i log in through the orange website i CAN access my old mail even after 5 months of being on Sky !!! So i wouldn't bank on thinking you can't access mail so your old accounts closed!
      This is exactly what my situation it Russ, after joining sky I found that the ntlfreedom email in outlook no longer worked. I have now found I can access the ntlfreedom email through virginmedia website but not account details.

However no news yet, no information from sky or ofcom.

2. Advertisement
      jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

Well actually Russ, Up until Saturday, I could still access my Virgin account and e-mail online and my Virgin e-mails using outlook - this is 3 weeks after migrating to Sky. As mentioned in my previous posts, I've been told numerous times that when I can no-longer access e-mails or log into the website, THAT IS WHEN THE ACCOUNT HAS BEEN CLOSED. (BTW I was on Virgin provided by BT - not cable).

As I can no longer log onto the website or retrieve any e-mails, I'm believing that at last, my Virgin account is closed, however again, as mentioned previously, I've now no idea if I will be billed again - I am expecting 1 more but until the normal DD date, I won't know!

Russ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston Bridge (ESLVB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER115
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

I'm sure i read somewhere it was up to BT to tell your old isp you were now migrated so to close your account. The reasoning being BT were connecting you so only BT knew when your old isp would stop and your new isp take over. Mine went ok , confirmed when i phoned Orange after 7 days. ( they actually informed me BT told them of the changeover and so cancelled my account )

jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

BTW, outlook should work accross ISPs, it just needs configuring to check the different accounts using the right connection. Your orange e-mail address is normal webmail i.e you can keep it without taking broadband from them. I've still got my old Tiscali e-mail address, but I stopped taking BB from them in December. My freeserve e-mail got disconnected about 12-18 months after i left them - probably because I didn't use it. A friend of mine maintains an old BTinternet e-mail address, but to keep it from being closed, he has to connect to the server using BT dial-up once every 6 months or so.

So each ISP has different rules connected to the e-mail accounts - some let you keep them, others insist you keep a service with them or they'll close them.

As mentioned earlier, Virgin expected Sky to inform them by using the mac code - which would have been fine if I hadn't gone over to LLU. Something to do with LLU stops the reporting back to Virgin? The way the Virgin helpdesk checked for me, was by looking for their marker on my line, it wasn't there, so they put the 5 day cancellation through.
      Last edited by jayhab; 30-04-07 at 05:18 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just an update of the situation, I have just received an email from sky stating:
      We have checked our records and can confirm that your Sky Broadband account was activated on 12 March 2007. The order was placed with BT and we used the MAC Code _ _ _ _ _ which was supplied by yourself, BT have confirmed this was used in our order.
      I deleted the actual MAC code there just in case.

I haven't heard anything from ofcom yet, but I think I shall write a letter to virgin together with all the dates of phonecalls made and the call I made on 28th March to confirm account would be closed as 30 day notice was up - it was confirmed.

I will not accept the new cancellation date they have given me of 28th May and also as I paid a bill which I believed to be the final bill from period 22 March to 21 April (30 day notice ended 28th March) that I have overpaid and wish to be reimbursed for those 24 days.

I think it is pointless phoning them - look what has happened since I phoned asking for confirmation that my account would close after 28th March!

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Have you tried emailing them, as this is what I did in the end with BT and it did get resolved.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I emailed virgin about the closure of my account on 27th March stating that as the 30 notice was up on 28th I wanted confirmation. I included my account number, name and address etc in the email - they replied:

[QUOTE]Unfortunately we are unable to disclose any account-specific information via email due to the Data Protection Act 1998.
      [QUOTE]

This is why I telephoned them on 28th March for confirmation that my account was closed.

For that reason I don't think I shall bother emailing them, what do you think?

I have a feeling that even when I tell them that sky did use the MAC code they provided and that BT confirmed they used it in the order, they will say otherwise.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CYMRAES View Post
      I have a feeling that even when I tell them that sky did use the MAC code they provided and that BT confirmed they used it in the order, they will say otherwise.
      I have a feeling you are right, you really are stuck in the middle at the moment. Good luck to you sorting this mess out. My issue with BT was minor compared to this and at least it did get sorted out eventually.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well this is why I think a letter would be better as when you phone they can say anything to you and you have no evidence or anything to back up your case. I shall get a letter started tomorrow - if I find the energy from somewhere! I would like a response from ofcom though before I post it.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I have received an email from ofcom this morning and this is what they had to say:

[QUOTE]Virgin Media

Thank you for your recent e-mail to Ofcom regarding Virgin Media.

I was sorry to read about the problems you have been experiencing and I can confirm that a record of your complaint has been made here at Ofcom. This will feed into the statistics that we collate to help us monitor trends in consumer concerns.

I appreciate that you have approached us for help but Ofcom does not become involved in settling disputes that consumers have with their service providers.

Ofcom’s role is about encouraging the communications industry to take ownership in addressing and resolving these.

If you have already contacted Virgin Media and feel you have been dealt with poorly or unreasonably, you can ask for your complaint to be taken to a higher level. Information on how to go about this can be found in your service provider’s code of practice which should detail their full complaints procedure. Some service providers also print complaint information on the back of their phone bills.

By following your service provider’s complaints procedure, it is likely you will be able to resolve your dispute. If you have exhausted the complaints procedure and you remain unhappy, you should request that your service provider sends you a letter which outlines their final position. This is known as a ‘deadlock’ letter. Once you have received this, you will be able to take your dispute to an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) scheme. You are also able to take your dispute to an ADR scheme if it remains unresolved after a period of 12 weeks after the date you first complained.
      [QUOTE] ...and it goes on. So basically it is up to me to try and sort this mess out!

Before I write to Virgin media with a letter of complaint I have now sent BT an email to ask if they can confirm that the MAC code provided by virgin media was used on ordering sky - just to check that the information sky gave me is correct, this way virgin media will not be able to dispute it.

Where and when will this end!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast