Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

OLD ISP viSENT BILL AFTER CLOSING ACCOUNT

This is a discussion on OLD ISP viSENT BILL AFTER CLOSING ACCOUNT within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; Thank you dancingdog, I have already sent sky an email to ask whether they used the MAC code and explained ...

CYMRAES is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: OLD ISP viSENT BILL AFTER CLOSING ACCOUNT

Thank you dancingdog, I have already sent sky an email to ask whether they used the MAC code and explained why telling them that virgin had accused them of breach of contract. I shall however ask them for a letter saying when they took over the line, although I did receive the letter about the order being processed, and BT had informed them that they estimated that my line should be active by 12/3/07 (it was active on 10th) I suppose this isn't enough.

Anyway I said this to virgin and they said that they did not the MAC code virgin had provided?!

2. Advertisement
      jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CYMRAES View Post
      Jayhab, my ntlworld email ceased the same day I got connected to sky.
      Can you still log into the website and view your account?

I only ask because if your e-mail has stopped working and you can't log into your account, then you've been cancelled.

Did they e-mail you the latest bill or was it sent in the post? - i'm just wondering how they may contact me as i'm expecting a bill for this month anyway, I just don't know when or how much it will be???

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi jayhab, I have just checked this morning to login to my account but it won't open, mind you I tried before. I get postal bills although I had a direct debit but I always get an email telling me that they are ready to take a payment of an amount on or after a date. Obviously I didn't get an email this month because I haven't got their email account!

I just thought this morning, my 30 day cancellation period begun (should have) on 26th February so shouldn't I have just to pay up until 26th March? I have paid them up to 22nd April already - or have I got it wrong?? The bill I received on Friday is for period 22April-22 May.

I don't know how much your bill would be - how much a month do you usually pay? I was on ntl freedom (not cable) and was 24.99 a month, I was on unlimited talk in that so it would sometimes vary if I had phoned an 0870 number or a mobile number.

What annoys me is that if the only way you can discuss your account is over the phone you have nothing in black and white and so you can't prove what is said etc.
      I have a good mind to write to virgin with a complaint, there is no point in sending an email as I have sent emails to them before about something and tried to sort this mess out by email but I had a replay stating that they could not
      Unfortunately we are unable to disclose any account-specific information via email due to the Data Protection Act 1998.
      although I had sent my account details etc in the email. On the back of each bill it says if you have any queries you can contact by email or by telephone! Also there is only a general address, no customer support address. What is annoying is that if you are only able to discuss your account by phone, you have nothing in black and white and no proof of what you are told!

dancingdog777 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01425
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If you get any further letters from Virgin, just mark them "Gone away - return to sender" and put them back into a letterbox. Don't open them.
      Don't let Virgin wind you up any further! You've cancelled and they've disconnected you, and you've given them an extra month's money which you didn't owe. Let them get stuffed.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I wish it was that easy but I don't think it will be, it's a feeling I have but I will not pay anymore, I expect I shall get a response from sky tomorrow and from ofcom - it will be interesting I'm sure!

A funny thing just happened, I tried again to sign in to virgin account (remember as from 10th March I was unable to send or receive their emails in outlook or go into my account) I re entered my details and an email account came up!! I tried to get into account details but it won't show any bills - I am now really confused!

Thanks

i'd tend to agree, if the e-mail address and 'my account' no longer work, it kind of suggests that the account is already closed, and if it stopped working the day you migrated, could have been closed then - in which case they owe you money!!

Cymraes, I kind of know how much a bill could be, (20) my point was that i've no idea if they will bill me - did you always have paper bills? I never have, so I'm guessing they won't start sending them now!

Although you may feel like ignoring them, it may not be the best option. It's not worth obtaining a Default over this (which, if you simply ignore the request for payment, you're likely to receive!) Clearing up this matter will be easier than reversing a Default on your Credit File. Perhaps a call to the complaints department or straight through to disconnections? I think you have a very valid point to make regarding the status of your e-mail and 'my account' - if they are closed, so is the account, if the account is closed, they can't charge you anymore money, and in fact they owe you a refund and an apology!
      if you are still calling the 090 number, try 0845 045 0709 - option 4 is straight through to disconnections - the staff in that department have been pretty helpful in what they say (i've only had issues with what they say will actually happen!!)

Anyway, I think you've got a very strong case - how can they bill you for an account that isn't active? And from my own experience, they can do a 5 dday disconnection that is actioned in less than 1 day! But as per my previous posts, i'm not holding my breath just yet! - I'm hoping for some sort of account closed letter from them - I did receive one for the Talk part of my package when that closed, maybe they'll send one for the Broadband part??

anyway - good luck and keep us posted!
      Last edited by jayhab; 29-04-07 at 11:58 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CYMRAES View Post
      A funny thing just happened, I tried again to sign in to virgin account (remember as from 10th March I was unable to send or receive their emails in outlook or go into my account) I re entered my details and an email account came up!! I tried to get into account details but it won't show any bills - I am now really confused!
      You posted this while I was writing my last post -

Are you saying that you can now log into the website? will it let you look at your e-mail account online (not using outlook)? Can you view your account details - name, address, billing date etc?
      It won't let you see any bills because the calls part of your package has closed.

If you can still access the website, i'm assuming that your account has not been closed, in which case i'd definately place a call to the cancellations department - just be very polite and explain that you did serve a 30 day notice period when you requested your mac, they will probably check your line and find that there is an incompatible service on the line (sky) fingers crossed they will do a 5 day disconnection for you - maybe they will do something about the bills?

Have you still got your mac e-mail? - could be worth quoting from it:
      "If you decide to use your MAC and leave Virgin Broadband, you will lose
      your Virgin email address immediately. The day you request your MAC code
      will also be the start of your 30 days notice period. Any cancellation
      charges will also be collected."

jayhab

Exchange:
      Thanks

jayhab, I started having paper bills over a year ago because I queried a couple of bills about being charged for calls I had not made!

With regard phoning disconnections, I was put through to them yesterday and it was they that said that the MAC code had definitely not been used! I will not ignore it, first thing is to see what sky has to say as I am sure they will respond to my email as I informed them that virgin stated that they were in breach of the rules and would be fined 150 - I'm sure they won't ignore it. Also I shall wait to see what ofcom has to say in response to the email I sent yesterday.

When I receive another bill or a reminder from virgin which I am sure I will I shall write them a letter, but hopefully by then I will have received advice from ofcom, but in the meantime I am not paying.

dancingdog777 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01425
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I was with Virgin broadband for a year paying 12.49 a month but I moved when it went up to 17.99 a month. I, too, got loads of hassle from them but their terms stated that when a MAC was issued, the service was deemed canceled 30 days after it was issued. In the end I just stopped replying to their e-mails and now they leave me alone.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jayhab View Post
      You posted this while I was writing my last post -

Are you saying that you can now log into the website? will it let you look at your e-mail account online (not using outlook)? Can you view your account details - name, address, billing date etc?
      It won't let you see any bills because the calls part of your package has closed.

If you can still access the website, i'm assuming that your account has not been closed, in which case i'd definately place a call to the cancellations department - just be very polite and explain that you did serve a 30 day notice period when you requested your mac, they will probably check your line and find that there is an incompatible service on the line (sky) fingers crossed they will do a 5 day disconnection for you - maybe they will do something about the bills?

Have you still got your mac e-mail? - could be worth quoting from it:
      "If you decide to use your MAC and leave Virgin Broadband, you will lose
      your Virgin email address immediately. The day you request your MAC code
      will also be the start of your 30 days notice period. Any cancellation
      charges will also be collected."

jayhab
      Yes I am now able to get into an email account, but I am unable to see account details. When I spoke to cancellation yesterday I explained that I had served 30 day notice when I requested MAC, they said they would cancel the account but a 30 day cancellation period - account will close 28 may! They said that they were unable to close my account 30 days after requesting mac as sky had not used it! They would not do anything about bills - they said it was up to sky to pay them - I have to pay and then it is between ofcom and sky to sort it with me!!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast