Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

OLD ISP viSENT BILL AFTER CLOSING ACCOUNT

This is a discussion on OLD ISP viSENT BILL AFTER CLOSING ACCOUNT within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; I have just sent sky an email to ask whether they used the mac code provided and explained why! It ...

CYMRAES is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: OLD ISP viSENT BILL AFTER CLOSING ACCOUNT

I have just sent sky an email to ask whether they used the mac code provided and explained why! It will be interesting to see what reaction I get as I have told them that I will have to contact ofcom on Monday.

2. Advertisement
      Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I would phone them to be honest, I can't see what Virgin can't cancel your account there and then, I don't understand what this 30 day notice period is. When I had to cancel my old ISP (BT) they did it there and then on the phone after I told them the date I migrated to Sky, I even read out the MAC code to them.

Personally I wouldn't pay Virgin another penny and would be tempted to stop the direct debit with them. I actually stopped my DD with BT after closing the account and they still tried to charge me for another month. It was only after numerious emails theat the whole thing got resolved.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I cancelled virgin DD after the 30 day notice payment was made on 13/4/07 to make sure that no other payment would go out by mistake - glad I did! It is just hastle!

I wonder whether you need to have a 30 notice to close the account! I was connected tosky on 10th March I have had to pay virginmedia already for period 22march -22 April which I thought was my final payment. This month I paid both sky and virgin. Today I was told that they will close my account but I have to serve 30 day notice - account will close on 28th May!!

jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

I can fully sympathise with you, i too have just left Virgin, and the number of calls i've made to their cancellation team is ridiculous - i'll try and keep it brief:
      8th march - advised I could get out of contract early because of poor service - mac requested
      15th march (ish) still no mac, due to problem on line (one of the ongoing probs), took 3 days of me contacting tech support, who then actually telephone BT, sorted the prob out, then I had to call the cancellation team again on 23rd to request mac
      26th march - mac received and signed up to sky
      4th april - migrated
      5th april called cancellation team to advise that I'd migrated, to be told that it looked like sky hadn't used the mac code, and that they'd need confirmation from sky in order to close the account
      5th april, called sky to be told that they definately used the mac, there is no way of them taking control of the line without it!
      5th april - called Virgin back, spoke to someone else who told me that as i'd LLu'd - even with a mac, virgin don't always get confirmation that it's been used! - would need to wait the full 30 day notice period (same length as the mac validity), then call back, if they hadn't been updated, they would put a 5 day cancellation through.
      6th april - called virgin - just to confirm, spoke to same guy again - confirmed same info as above.
      23rd april - called virgin as 30 days notice up, advised that as their marker has been removed from the line, i will automatically have my account cancelled on the 25th - I will know that it has happened because my virgin e-mail address will stop working.
      27th april - virgin e-mail address still working, called virgin, advised that the account was due to auto cancel on the 25th, but for some reason it hadn't, very helpful guy did some checking, and read through the many, many notes on my account, conferred with his team leader and advised that he was then putting the 5 day cancellation through.
      today - 28th april - virgin e-mail address has stopped working and I can't log onto their website!!!!!!!
      phew - it's good to get that off my chest!!

however - as I can no-longer use their e-mail address or website, i've no idea if, when or for how much, i'm still going to be charged??

all good fun, innit? - just as well that my service from Sky has been A1!!!

Cymraes - is your Virgin e-mail address still active?
      Last edited by jayhab; 30-04-07 at 05:01 PM. Reason: spelling!

dancingdog777 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01425
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If you connected to Sky "I was connected to sky on 10th March", that proves that Sky did use your MAC code. Virgin have no claim after 30 days of supplying the MAC, provided it was used, which it was therefore you own them nothing.

Suggest you just ignore them and tell them if they don't stop bothering you, you'll sue them.

PeteC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: cable
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

well i did my 30 days notice with bulldog after 12 months service and they still want 200 from me - they can wish..

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dancingdog777 View Post
      If you connected to Sky "I was connected to sky on 10th March", that proves that Sky did use your MAC code. Virgin have no claim after 30 days of supplying the MAC, provided it was used, which it was therefore you own them nothing.

Suggest you just ignore them and tell them if they don't stop bothering you, you'll sue them.
      Well I told the chap on the phone that I had to give the MAC code before they could connect me but he wouldn't have it, he said they definitely did not use it! I am glad I cancelled the direct debit though, I have already paid them up to 22nd April so I shouldn't have to pay anymore. One thing though - they can't cut me off can they!

Jayhab, my ntlworld email ceased the same day I got connected to sky.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CYMRAES View Post
      Well I told the chap on the phone that I had to give the MAC code before they could connect me but he wouldn't have it, he said they definitely did not use it!
      One thing though - they can't cut me off can they!
      Perhaps you don't understand the mechanics here. Sky cannot send you a broadband signal without using the MAC code. The MAC is an authorisation for BT to disconnect your line from Virgin and connect it to Sky. Therefore the Virgin chap was talking out of his backside! Once connected to Sky you cannot recieve anything from Virgin, except their lies and abuse!
      Also they (Virgin) cannot cut you off since they have no control of your line.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks dancing dog, I did think that they would have had to use the MAC code in order for me to be connected to sky, I told virgin this, but the chap was adamant that sky had not used the MAC code, but how else was I going to be connected - thought perhaps they could have used another code or something wasn't sure.

I do know that virgin can't cut me off that's why I said at least they won't cut me off. I found an email address for ofcom earlier and I have sent them an email of events to see what happens.

I haven't had a response from the email I sent to sky yet - probably won't until after the weekend.

Thanks

Ring Sky on 08702 404040, their Customer Service. Ask them to send you a letter (that you can show to Virgin) giving details of when Sky took over your line. That's proof enough even in a court that Virgin are trying to rip you off. But hang on to the original letter and send Virgin a photocopy.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast