Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Freesat problems

This is a discussion on Freesat problems within the Freesat forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hello, hope somebody can help me please I have just moved into a new house that has a sky dish. ...

Tan82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Freesat
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Freesat problems

Hello, hope somebody can help me please

I have just moved into a new house that has a sky dish. I am not sure if the previous tenants used it. I want to take advantage of the freesat channels available but I can't seem to pick anything up. I have bought a second-hand sky box and attached it to tv and sky cable. When I switch it on I get no signal and a message saying to switch the box off for 5 mins. I don't have a sky viewing card - do I need one? Do I need to do a reset on the box if thats possible and if so how would I do it? Should it just work when I plug in or do you think it sounds like a problem with the sky dish? Are there any troubleshooting steps I could do? Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: Freesat problems

Hopefully someone else will chip in to confirm, but it sounds like the STB is faulty to me.

If I were to remove the viewing card from my STB then I would be able to view the Free-to-air channels.

As for turning the STB off, are you turning it off at the mains or pressing the on/off button on the Sky remote? The on/off button only places the STB in Standby mode.

Check that the coax is connected to the LNB on the Dish and that the shielding is not touching the core wire. It is conceivable that someone has pulled the F-Plug connector off and hurriedly put it back on without checking things.

You may wish to consider getting a Freesat or Freesat+ STB. These will offer a cleaner viewing experience. Freesat & Sky use the same group of Satellites, but offer a different selection of channels on the EPG and in a different order in some cases. A Freesat+ STB will also allow you to record the content for later viewing, in much the same ways as the Sky+ & sky+ HD STBs do. However you will need a subscription to be able to record material on the Sky+ boxes.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Freesat problems

Your old Sky box should simply show FTA channels when plugged in - you don't need any card for it to work.

Are you sure the Sky box works? Can you try it on a known working system to check it out? If it does work then the problem is either with the wiring, LNB or dish alignment.

Check the 'F' connector that is used on the system (on the back of the Sky box and on the end of the cable) and make sure it isn't loose or shorted, it should simply screw off the cable.

Remake the connection with the coax braid pushed backwards up the cable and the central copper wire straight and just longer then the 'f' connector then screw on the connector. When inserting in the box make sure the central wire goes into the central hole on the 'f' connector on the box.

If that doesn't work it could be a faulty LNB or a misaligned dish, both of which will require access to the dish.