Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Downgrading Sky TV to Freesat from Sky

This is a discussion on Downgrading Sky TV to Freesat from Sky within the Freesat forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi guys, Just in need of some quick advice. Due to budget tightening and adjusting, I am looking to see ...

MrMischief is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Barnabas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Question Downgrading Sky TV to Freesat from Sky

Hi guys,

Just in need of some quick advice. Due to budget tightening and adjusting, I am looking to see if we can downgrade our Sky+ TV to Freesat. This would relieve us of the need to pay Sky for TV every month and just pay for the phone & broadband.

We currently have Sky+ multi-room (2 boxes) and can anyone tell me how to cancel our current TV pack and get Freesat? Will we still be able to have the ability to record TV programmes if we lose the Sky+ subscription?

I was looking at this link: FREESAT from Sky - Frequently Asked Questions but it doesn't mention anything about the recording function.

Appreciate any advice.

Wayne.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MrMischief For This Useful Post:

everogere (23-01-12)

3. Advertisement
      BroadbandKing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1Tb
      Thanks

Re: Downgrading Sky TV to Freesat from Sky

To the best of my knowledge, you will lose the sky+ recording ability to record and even view past recorded programmes.

mcphailan. is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South Harrow
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

That link from SKy only mentions sky hd box, not sky hd+ box, so calling all experts I guess the recording facilities are NOT on sky hd, only on sky hd+ ?

I.e a sky hd box is just an hd version of standard old-style sky box that did not have recording and (by a kinda weird logic) if bbking has HD+ sadly he won't get recording without a subscription as freesat from sky never intended for that feature?

"An engineer from Sky will provide you with all the equipment you’ll need on the date of installation: a SkyHD box, a minidish, a remote control and a Freesat from Sky viewing card - the same equipment as our Sky TV subscribers. Standard installation of your equipment is also included."

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

You can simply cancel your Sky TV subscription (if outside the first 12 months contract period) and the equipment you have left will function as Freesat from Sky, you don't need any further equipment. You will loose the ability to record as the recording facility is inclusive in the Sky TV subscription (however you used to be able to pay 10/month to allow the recording features to function, but that defeats the objective if you want to reduce costs). Just call Sky and ask them to do it! Even the existing Sky card will allow you access to FTV (free to view, which is encrypted but free) channels.