Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

freeview through sky box

This is a discussion on freeview through sky box within the Freesat forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Correct me if I'm wrong, but FreeSat uses their own Satellites. These are located at a fraction different to the ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,233 Times in 2,099 Posts

Re: freeview through sky box

Correct me if I'm wrong, but FreeSat uses their own Satellites. These are located at a fraction different to the Sky Satellites, hence most people can view both systems off the one dish.

If you use the Sky Box to receive the 'Freeview' channels, aren't they actually coming off Sky's Satellites?

So for Sky to ask people to pay for the Viewing card that allows you to see the free content that is streamed off their own Satellite networks is surely a fair deal IMHO.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

2. Advertisement
      AndyJG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWSHAR (South Harrow)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

You are wrong.
      There are no Sky or Freesat satellites.

Europe, Africa & Middle East - LyngSat

At 28.2 degrees east there are Astra 2A,2B and 2D.
      At 28.5 degrees east there is Eurobird 1.
      Both are received by a single dish.

The broadcasters rent transponders on these satellites.
      It is up to them if they encrypt their signals.

Whether it is right that only one dominant company has control of the encryption system is another matter.

Andy

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The only differences between Sky & Freesat is that Sky use their own EPG to access the channels, and the Sky box has inbuilt decryption. With Freesat, only unencrypted channels can be viewed without the use of a CAM (Conditional Access Module), and the Programme Guide is totally different to Sky's.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Freesat is only an EPG. It's nothing else. The content is available to both Sky and Freesat as well as 3rd party FTA boxes. Sky (and others like EPSN) choose to encrypt so they can charge for content. Others like the BBC choose to be in the clear and are available on Sky, Freesat and FTA. A few chose the FTV route (where the signal is encrypted and a card is needed to view them but no subscription is payable).

Freesat isn't free. You HAVE to buy a Freesat receiver otherwise you can't use Freesat's EPG. You can use a Sky box to watch all Freesat channels but you can't watch all Sky Freesat channels on a Freesat box. The card you need gives access to FTV encrypted channels. So if you complain about the cost of such a card then moving to Freesat won't help because you won't receive the channels the card decrypts.

Your choice. But it seems at a cost of about 5/year it's hardly worth worrying about. If you don't want the extra programmes don't pay the price of a card.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,233 Times in 2,099 Posts

Ok, I stand corrected (it's a while since I was involved in looking through the satellites & what they broadcast). I based my response on a story some time back where I witnessed someone's dish being realigned because it wasn't picking up Freesat, only Sky. The result was that the person could now receive both.

There are some other minor differences between the Sky & FreeSat boxes. The FreeSat boxes have BBC iPlayer & ITV Player built in. Sky is attempting to include BBC & ITV shows in it's Anytime+ service, but technically there should be nothing stopping it from adopting this process instead.

You are still using the technology that Sky developed to view the content (i.e. their EPG).

So in essence, Sky do have a right to charge a one-off fee for you to obtain a card that enables your Sky Box to view only the free channels.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

this is a sky box i bought when digital first came out and its been using freeview for about 3 years. surely its a breach of the trade description if you call it free then charge 25 whenever you feel like it
      It is not a case of charging 'whenever you feel like it'. The cards are changed every 3-4 years for security reasons and to update the facilities it provides. If you were a Pay Once or Digital switchover customer, you would also receive a free card.
      http://www1.sky.com/skyviewinghelp/

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

irradiated is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: workington
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

w0w this has certainly got the sky fanboys up in arms
      ill be sure to tune in next time sky increase the subscription by a 1 and see how many whinge then (and yes i subscribe too but i dont mind paying for that coz i know it isnt free)
      this is no different to anyone who bought a freeview box a few years back being charge to continue to watch tv, afterall i bought this sky box too!!
      anyways i can see its all falling on deaf ears so i hope you lot keep paying whenever old rupert says so, no wonder this is called rip off Britain with so many quitters who fail to stand up for whats right

rant over now who wants my soap box, only one careful owner, low ranting and fully serviced
      Connection Speed 7302 kbps 963 kbps
      Line Attenuation 47 db 27 db
      Noise Margin 6 db 7 db

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12