Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.


    Advertisement

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 12

    HD quality - Freesat compared with Sky

    This is a discussion on HD quality - Freesat compared with Sky within the Freesat forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; I have just compared ITV HD on Freesat with an internal tuner and the same programme via a Sky HD ...

    1. #1
      Smartmart's Avatar
      Smartmart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01792
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Location
      Swansea
      Posts
      10
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      HD quality - Freesat compared with Sky

      I have just compared ITV HD on Freesat with an internal tuner and the same programme via a Sky HD Box on a Panasonic LCD (same dish).

      The Freesat version was much sharper. Is there a reason for this? The bit rate may be reduced on Sky or the internal tuner may make a difference, I would suggest.

      The programme was the Holland match by the way.

      Comparing the SD and HD on the Sky HD box can sometimes show little difference.

      This adds to the debate on whether the 10 charge is worth it.

      Is Sky reducing their HD quality, in order to put out more channels? - 50 by Christmas they say.

      Can anyone add to my thoughts on this topic.

      I suspect that many are considering adjusting their package in October when most will see a 3 per month increase.


    2. Advertisement
    3. #2
      bulldog147's Avatar
      bulldog147 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cuckoo Oak
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: 1 x Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Posts
      163
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

      Re: HD quality - Freesat compared with Sky

      Sky is going to drop the 10 HD charge in October (only if you are subscription to skyworld with sky sports & movies pack with espn). Instead they put up 3 increase on sky sports pack except sky movies going up by 2. But the 10 charge for multiroom is still unchanging at 10 per month. And another increase in January 2011 with 2.5% VAT extra charge on it.
      Last edited by bulldog147; 08-07-10 at 02:43 AM.

    4. #3
      simonmpoulton's Avatar
      simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Feb 2007
      Posts
      1,620
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts

      Re: HD quality - Freesat compared with Sky

      Quote Originally Posted by bulldog147 View Post
      Sky is going to drop the 10 HD charge in October (only if you are subscription to skyworld with sky sports & movies pack with espn). Instead they put up 3 increase on sky sports pack except sky movies going up by 2. But the 10 charge for multiroom is still unchanging at 10 per month. And another increase in January 2011 with 2.5% VAT extra charge on it.
      You keep spreading this like fact, the drop of the 10 charge is **unconfirmed**

      Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

    5. #4
      dms05's Avatar
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      Wirral
      Posts
      1,694
      Thanks
      12
      Thanked 52 Times in 50 Posts

      Re: HD quality - Freesat compared with Sky

      Sky and Freesat use the same data stream from the same transponders on the same satellites to receive ITV/BBC/C4 etc. The only difference is they use their own EPG version. So any difference you are seeing is due either to the receiver, the connecting cables or the TV.

      My Samsung TV allows me to set different parameters for different inputs and so I can vary the look/feel of various sources to meet my tastes. Maybe you are just seeing that effect. In any case the raw picture quality starts off the same and the changes are occuring after the signal reaches the dish.

    6. #5
      Smartmart's Avatar
      Smartmart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01792
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Location
      Swansea
      Posts
      10
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: HD quality - Freesat compared with Sky

      Quote Originally Posted by dms05 View Post
      Sky and Freesat use the same data stream from the same transponders on the same satellites to receive ITV/BBC/C4 etc. The only difference is they use their own EPG version. So any difference you are seeing is due either to the receiver, the connecting cables or the TV.

      My Samsung TV allows me to set different parameters for different inputs and so I can vary the look/feel of various sources to meet my tastes. Maybe you are just seeing that effect. In any case the raw picture quality starts off the same and the changes are occuring after the signal reaches the dish.
      Thanks for your input. I suspect that it is at my end. It is worth having a closer look at connections etc. The picture settings may be different for each input, which would make some difference.

      This is in fact my neighbours set up. We will have a con-flab when he gets back from holidays next week and I will report the outcome. I have a Panasonic TH 42PX70 with only SKY via a dish. The Freesat HD version came later.

    7. #6
      bulldog147's Avatar
      bulldog147 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cuckoo Oak
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: 1 x Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Posts
      163
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

      Re: HD quality - Freesat compared with Sky

      Quote Originally Posted by simonmpoulton View Post
      You keep spreading this like fact, the drop of the 10 charge is **unconfirmed**
      It will be confirmed in 1st August when football season kick off.

    8. #7
      Old_nick's Avatar
      Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Posts
      1,241
      Thanks
      3
      Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts

      Re: HD quality - Freesat compared with Sky

      Getting back on topic, I have just taken delivery of a Panasonic Viera 46 TX-46G20B with Freesat and Freeview tuners, and I can confirm that the pictures displayed by BBCHD on the Freesat tuner and the Sky HD box via HDMI are exactly the same. So close, in fact, that I had to double-check that the TV was actually switching ! Unfortunately I can't compare BBCHD via Freeview yet, because it doesn't get here until May 2011.

    9. #8
      Medicuk's Avatar
      Medicuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Poplar
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Free to Air
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Posts
      112
      Thanks
      4
      Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

      Re: HD quality - Freesat compared with Sky

      As far as I can see on my Panasonic all HD content Freeview, Freesat, and Sky look the same but sound volume differs.

    10. #9
      Smartmart's Avatar
      Smartmart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01792
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Location
      Swansea
      Posts
      10
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: HD quality - Freesat compared with Sky

      Sky man called today and came up with some very good reasons for Freesat HD being better than via the Sky HD box..

      Firstly, it should be known that the Panasonic set is the latest 1080p version with the integrated HD Tuner.

      Apparently, the HD tuner in the Panasonic is a better quality tuner than in the Sky HD box and Freesat HD are giving out the 1080p signal. Sky, of course, only do the 1080i.

      I certainly did not know about the 1080p from Freesat. Does anyone have a comment on this?

      My next move is to send an email to Freesat.

      If this is correct then all those with 1080p sets can benefit.

    11. #10
      Proppinupthebar's Avatar
      Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      Posts
      962
      Thanks
      1
      Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

      Re: HD quality - Freesat compared with Sky

      Quote Originally Posted by Smartmart View Post
      Sky man called today and came up with some very good reasons for Freesat HD being better than via the Sky HD box..

      Firstly, it should be known that the Panasonic set is the latest 1080p version with the integrated HD Tuner.

      Apparently, the HD tuner in the Panasonic is a better quality tuner than in the Sky HD box and Freesat HD are giving out the 1080p signal. Sky, of course, only do the 1080i.

      I certainly did not know about the 1080p from Freesat. Does anyone have a comment on this?

      My next move is to send an email to Freesat.

      If this is correct then all those with 1080p sets can benefit.
      The Sky man talked out of his backside. As has already been stated, the same data stream used for Freesat, is the same one Sky viewers get. Nobody, and I mean nobody currently broadcasts with 1080p.
      There is no p in Thomson.

     

     
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    SkyUser - Copyright © 2006-2020. SatDish and NewsreadeR | SkyUser is in no way affiliated with Sky Broadband / BSkyB
    RIPA NOTICE: NO CONSENT IS GIVEN FOR INTERCEPTION OF PAGE TRANSMISSION