Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

sky card in non sky box

This is a discussion on sky card in non sky box within the Freesat forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi - I am wanting to replace my sky box & freesat HD box with a single receiver that will ...

astonman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01388
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

sky card in non sky box

Hi - I am wanting to replace my sky box & freesat HD box with a single receiver that will receive the free to air HD channels & my basic sky channels. Will my card work in any of the HD receivers such as theTechnomate 6900
      Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Woodster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01442
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: sky card in non sky box

No. The sky card will only work in a sky box.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
      No. The sky card will only work in a sky box.
      Not strictly true. It is possible, if you have the knowledge and expertise, to use a CAM in some 3rd party DSAT boxes to access Sky services using an official Sky Card. However as I've no interest in doing this I can't provide any further information but it is all available if you Google the subject.

In any case why isn't a Sky+HD box all you need? It obviously gives you access to all Sky offerings and Freesat doesn't offer anything that isn't available via Sky - after all they are the same programme streams from the same satellites.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies - getting a sky hd box was the other option, but if I leave sky I wouldn't be able to get the free to air HD channels with it, would I?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by astonman View Post
      Thanks for the replies - getting a sky hd box was the other option, but if I leave sky I wouldn't be able to get the free to air HD channels with it, would I?
      If you left Sky you would continue to receive the FTA channels on the Sky box. In fact you'd receive more than you would on a Freesat box because whilst some channels are free they are FTV (ie free to view) and require a Sky card to decrypt the programme but no Sky subscription (C4 HD is the best example). So cancelling your Sky subscription but leaving the Sky card in the slot would allow you to access C4 HD but a Freesat box won't access C4 HD at all.

However cancelling your Sky subscription would mean loosing the PVR facility on the Sky+HD box.

As always - no simple answer!

Thanks

So I'd still get BBC & ITV HD? this may be a better option than I thought. The other advantage of going with a non sky box was being able to receive channels from other satellites. I know it can be done with a sky box but it sounds tortuous.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by astonman View Post
      So I'd still get BBC & ITV HD? this may be a better option than I thought. The other advantage of going with a non sky box was being able to receive channels from other satellites. I know it can be done with a sky box but it sounds tortuous.
      If you are going to get into multi-satellite viewing then you should buy a 3rd party box for non-Astra2 viewing and stick with a Sky+HD box for the standard UK satellites. Multi-satellite viewing will be expensive (large dish, motorised mount, DSAT box) for very little return. The vast majority of English language programming is on Astra2 at 28 degs. Remember the other satellites also use encrypting and you'd need different CAM's for different systems plus pay for viewing cards..

A Sky+HD box will deliver BBC HD, ITV HD (via add channels), C4 HD for free. After that you pay. A Freesat PVR will deliver BBC HD and ITV HD. Of the three only C4 HD is a simucast of the main channel. BBC HD is a mix of previously broadcast material and occasional simucast of BBC1. ITV HD is almost bare and broadcasts for a very short times on some days. C4 HD is always on and broadcasts C4 but in higher definition - when C4 is in SD they upscale to HD.

Thanks

well thanks for clearing that up. I've worked out a 'free' Sky HD box would cost me 180 (60 for installation which I don't need & 120y subscription for channels I don't watch), which is still cheaper than buying a 3rd party box I suppose. I already have a large dish with quad LNB & motorised mount - just needs a new motor. The extra outputs are fed to other rooms which is part of the reason why I wanted 1 box to replace the other 2, freeing them up to go into other rooms.