Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Adding Freesat to Sky setup

This is a discussion on Adding Freesat to Sky setup within the Freesat forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi I currently have a sky installed setup. HD in living room and sky+ in bedroom fed from a quad ...

Rick-uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01275
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Adding Freesat to Sky setup

Hi

I currently have a sky installed setup. HD in living room and sky+ in bedroom fed from a quad LNB. All equipment and subscriptions over 12 months old.

With the analogue TV signal due to be discontinued soon I am looking at my options to feed 3 other rooms

Option 1. DIY upgrade. Buy an 8 way LNB, 3 second hand basic sky boxes, install these myself and then ask sky for 3 freesat cards. Does this affect my sky subscriptions and would sky then claim any faults with the original setup is not their problem? Could I upgrade these to multiroom subs later if I wanted? Disadvantge I see is no option for PVR unless I add to the multiroom.

Option 2. As above but rather than buying sky boxes I would buy freesat boxes. The advantage of this is that I could replace these with PVR versions at a later date. I realise that each would have just a single feed but this would be better than not having the PVR features using Sky boxes.

Option 3. Sky install the whole thing (faints at thought of possible cost) or independent installer installs Freesat (more fainting at costs)

Option 4. I have a spare Sky dish that was removed from the wall of our previous house so I could use that with an additional quad LNB. The advantage of that would be that I don't touch the sky installed setup at all. Could then add a 8 way LNB later if I needed full recording capability in future. Aligning the dish should not be too hard as I just point it in same direction as current one (don't I?)

A sky box will not receive freesat from BBC/ITV and a freesat box will not receive freesat from sky. Is this correct? So i have to choose which receiver I use from the beginning. Looking at pictures on internet it appears the normal freesat receivers do not have a card slot to allow you to use a sky card.

Freeview is not an option. We have a high gain digital ariel already and a still have a weak signal here in the south west.

Any comments or other alternatives would be welcomed.

2. Advertisement
      Roysie2010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Frinton On Sea LLU
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Adding Freesat to Sky setup

Hi Rick

Just a short note from my side.

I have only yesterday installed an additional feed from the sky dish into one of our bedrooms.

Plugged in an old sky box (mini box) did not insert a sky card and it picks up all the BBC/ITV/CH4/CH5 channels along with a few aditional channels. This is ideal to Get digital TV to your other rooms.

However, I think you should give sky a call to see what deal they would be able to do. You may even be surprised with what they offer you. They will do alot to get you to sign up for a further 12-18 months.

Rgds
      Roysie

Huddy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01604
      Broadband ISP: plus.net
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You could buy a satellite reciever box like a fortec star, this gives you all the free to air satellite channels and you can store in which ones you do or don't want, only thing you wont get is sky3, fiver and five us.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've now contacted sky and the silly prices quoted were...

To install 3 freesat boxes 375

To upgrade current subscription with 3 extra multiroom boxes 360 for installation and then 360 per year for multiroom subscription.

I told them "you are having a laugh" and they would not be getting the business. This did not seem to bother them too much.

With the prices quoted and the attitude displayed by the sky representatives it makes me wonder if sky are almost getting a monopoly market with people who have no alternative.

I think I will use my spare dish (it will be on back wall of the house so will not be too obtrusive) and self install 2nd hand boxes.

Just can't decide the freesat or sky route (channels vs recording capability)

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Once the analogue signals are turned off then the terrestrial digital signals are increased in power. You will probably find you can get Freeview then.
      There is no p in Thomson.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I decided to install the dish I had beside my current operational sky dish. Bought 2 2nd hand sky boxes off eBay and have these (and an old box I had spare) in use now as free-to-view setups.

The boxes I bought off eBay were from the same supplier and they are both identical Thompson boxes. Using the "add channels" system I have added channel 5 (10773,H,22.0,5/6). This is fine and displays under "other channels" on one box and yet the identical box (same software and signal etc) shows "insert sky viewing card" when I try to view it. Is this a fault with the box as I can not see where the difference is.

If I wanted to can I just phone sky and request 2 or 3additional multiroom cards (the rooms have a working BT socket) or will they charge me (apart from the subscription) for the privilege.

Resisting the multiroom requests at present as the object of the exercise initially was not to give sky any more money than necessary

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You could just ring and get 3 x FTA cards, this will then give you all the free to air channels with a 1 off cost of 20 each and should last 3+ years.