Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky+ v Freesat

This is a discussion on Sky+ v Freesat within the Freesat forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; I have Sky+ and I am very happy with it. Next year the digital switch-over will be happening in South ...

DRGW is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0117
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Sky+ v Freesat

I have Sky+ and I am very happy with it.

Next year the digital switch-over will be happening in South Wales so I am looking to purchase myself a new HD tv to replace my 15 year old Panasonic analogue tv.

Is it worth upgrading to Sky HD or going to Freesat?

I understand Sky charge a monthly premium of around 10.00 for the privilege of HD. Will this charge be dropped like they did with Sky+ as initially there was a 10.00 per month charge for that.

What sort of channels can I pick up on Freesat?

Is it worth looking for a TV with built-in Freesat or a standalone Freesat box?

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky+ v Freesat

Freesat HD will be a poor comparison to the SkyHD offering. From what I can see their data rate will mean that although it is technically HD it will be a poor version.

As for the HD sub, I doubt it will be removed for a long time if at all, there are plenty of people paying for it currently and there is still no real competition.

I would get a TV with Freesat built in (most are now) they are easier to work.

DRGW is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0117
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I am more confused now!!!

I read yesterday that next year the BBC will be launching their HD service on Freeview but you will need to upgrade existing equipment!

Goes this mean that an existing tv equipped with freeview won't be able to pick up BBC HD.

When I do purchase a new tv I want it to be able to pick up freeview on HD (if it's available). It seems ridiculous if people who have already purchased new tv's thinking they are HD compatible won't be able to receive HD on them!

Another question.

What is the difference between HD ready and full HD?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

A HD ready TV can show a HD picture, it is just that the majority of them have been fitted with standard freeview receivers and so it is that that cannot get the HD picture to show.

If you connect an external HD freeview receiver to it, it will be able to show it.

As for HD ready and full HD, this is not the problem, it all boils down to whether the TV has a HD freesat receiver in it.

HD ready is anything that can show a 720 picture or above, full HD is 1080.