Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Using one remote?

This is a discussion on Using one remote? within the Freesat forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hello, I've just bought a Foxsat-HDR to use as a digital recorder, and to receive Freesat (as Freeview is non-existant ...

Kermy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sky
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Basic & Freesat
      Thanks

Using one remote?

Hello,
      I've just bought a Foxsat-HDR to use as a digital recorder, and to receive Freesat (as Freeview is non-existant here).
      I wondered if anyone knows if it's possible for me to somehow connect my Sky to the box as well so that I can watch Sky through this?
      This would, I hope, allow me to record Sky digitally, and of course use one remote for everything, instead of having to have my telly still having Sky tuned in and coming in through the analogue connection.
      Am I able to do this, with advice from you people of course?
      Thanks for any help

2. Advertisement
      penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Re: Using one remote?

To record programmes off your standard Sky box you need a DVD/HDD recorder with an analogue input. AFAIK the Foxsat receiver does not have this facility.
      So the answer is no.
      I can't help wondering why you went to the expense of buying a Freesat PVR when you could have got a Sky+ or Sky+ HD box for considerably less outlay?

Thanks

Well as you asked. I bought the Freesat box to prepare for the great digital mix up, as like I said, we can't get freeview here. I also wanted a digital recorder in this particular room.
      Does your reply mean that the LNB ports on the back of the box are not analogue?
      We have not got Sky+ or HD as of yet, due to the fact that even trying to get my parents to believe that the house would need a digital upgrade for the tellies was hard enough, until both of my pensioner parents, and myself due to being disabled, received post telling us we could get help with the switchover.
      I really don't know whether I'll be able to persuade them to pay an extra 9 per month, especially if it doesn't effect the broadband and phone bills, as it may not, but I don't know this for sure having not seen our current contract with Sky

Thanks

Hi,

There is no additional monthly cost in having Sky + aside from the purchase/installation.

You can use your existing Sky Dish to connect to your Freesat receiver.
      The one you have bought needs two feeds from the dish. So it may be that you will need to upgrade to a quad LNB.

Article on how an LNB works
      http://www.satsig.net/lnb/explanatio...iption-lnb.htm

Thanks

Hello again,
      Thanks again for your information. I don't think however that a quad LNB would be enough, as when the engineer came and installed the FreeSat, he mentioned something called an "octo LNB". I really didn't know what that was at the time, but I am a little more clued up now, so thanks for that.
      Oh, and when I mentioned the 9 extra, I was thinking about +HD.
      I've had a look at the Sky website, and to get the +HD box or just normal Sky+ box it does still seem rather expensive for what they actually offer when you're already a customer.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I bought the Freesat box to prepare for the great digital mix up,
      Your standard Sky box would be digital, so you would have still been able to use it. Sky's analogue service closed about 8 years ago, so it must be or it would not have worked. You would have been better going for a Sky+ box, which gives you all the channels available on freesat and at about half the price.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

If you don't mind me asking how much did your FoxSat setup cost you?
      Did the installer utilise your existing dish?
      Why would you want an Octo LNB are you planning on 4 satellite PVR's?

*Sky+: Sky+ box 149 for existing Sky TV customers or 49 if you take a new Multiroom subscription. Existing customers need to sign up to another 12 month minimum term for Sky TV. One 49/149 box per household and not available if you already have Sky+/SkyHD/Sky+HD box. Sky+ box price up to 199 for additional boxes (Sky TV subscription required). Sky+ can store an average of 40 hours of programmes. Sky+ functionality requires a Sky+ subscription (free for Sky TV customers, or 9.75 pm) and two satellite feeds.

Standard set-up: Standard set-up for Sky+HD box is 30 for existing customers (free if taken with Multiroom). Standard set-up for Sky+ box is 60 for existing customers. Standard set-up for a Sky box is 60. Standard set-up 117.45 without Sky TV. Non-standard set-up may cost extra. Set up for existing customers taking Sky Broadband is 60 for Base, 30 for Everyday & Connect or free for Unlimited.

Sky+HD: 9.75 pm for the HD Pack. Sky Movies/Sports HD channels depend on your Sky TV package. Sky+HD box 49 when you take the HD Pack and Sky TV and existing customers sign up to another 12 month minimum term for Sky TV. One 49 box per household and not available if you already have SkyHD/Sky+HD box. Sky+HD box price 199 for customers not eligible for 49 box price (Sky TV and HD Pack subscriptions required).

Thanks

The engineer brought with him a decoder and also ran cables from our existing satellite dish to two extra tellies, one with Freesat built into it, the other needing the decoder which was provided. Then he ran another cable from the satellite dish to my room, upstairs.
      However at the time he didn't have the Foxsat box with him, and he was also missing an Octo LNB which he needed for all the different tellies to work properly. Then, when he came back to finish the job, he said that they couldn't get hold of an Octo LNB and so had to put up another dish.

We now have Sky in two rooms (which we had before the work). One of these rooms is only connected with a TV-Link thingy. Before the work, to watch satellite in two different rooms, we had to both watch the same channel.
      Now we can all watch different satellite channels.

Everything cost us 375 for all the work and two decoders, one with the digital recorder built in.