Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky dish signal query

This is a discussion on Sky dish signal query within the Freesat forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi all I have what was freesat from sky. I have the dish and cables that the previous house owner ...

philipjulie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky dish signal query

Hi all

I have what was freesat from sky. I have the dish and cables that the previous house owner had so i guess they are at least 5 years old now. Since moving in a sky enginer came out to link it up with a sky box that gave us freesat from sky. That was about 3 years ago.

I have an lg hd tv with hdmi sockets etc. not top of the range but more mid range. I have had that tv about 2 years now.

Question is that i am sure over time the picture quality when watching sky channels has got worse. it looks patchy/blocky in places more or less all the time. i have updated the firmware/software for the skybox. i have also taken out and replaced all cables.

Could it be that over time the sky caables and dish i have just need replaced? should I clean the dish? I ask as within sky settings under quality/signal strength they are showing as more medium rather than high quality. Would a dish clean, if receiver was dirty, improve things?

many thanks

P

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky dish signal query

A Miss aligned dish etc wouldn't cause an area of the screen to look blocky, it may cause the picture to freeze in areas or to loose picture all together.

Have you checked the scart cables etc?

Exchange:
      Thanks

many thanks and sorry for delay in my reply. Yes, scart cables out and are in securely.

out of interest my tv is a digital tv (no freeview or freesat built in) but i live in non digital area. my sky box is connected to tv through scart cable running to av1 on tv and i watch sky through av1 channel. should i have it so sky is viewed through the digital channel on tv? when on digital option is reads as no signal available but should my freesat from sky not be a digital source?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You are fine using it via scart and AV1, although you may want to try connecting it to AV2 to see if this improves anything.

You could also try connecting it up via the RF-out socket to the aerial in on the receiver and then just tune it in like a standard channel but this is normally poorer quality than scart.

Normally a digital TV woudld have Freeview built in but would need a digital aerial feed connecting to it to receive them, you annot connect a Sky feed to this as it won't work.

Exchange:
      Thanks

many thanks again. have replaced one of the scart cables for a new one. the 'old' scart cable was good quality but one of the pins/ends looked a bit bent. when tried to striaghten it broke. with new scart picture is so much better

cheers