Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Freesat form Sky and my elderly Mum!!!

This is a discussion on Freesat form Sky and my elderly Mum!!! within the Freesat forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; First post and first set of dumb questions! My dear old mum bought a new LCD TV and had it ...

LindaLoo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01483
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin Media
      Thanks

Freesat form Sky and my elderly Mum!!!

First post and first set of dumb questions!

My dear old mum bought a new LCD TV and had it installed yesterday along with, what I believe to be, FreeSat from Sky. She lives in a block of 'warden assisted' flats with other elderly folk, some of whom already have this service.

To be honest, she's so technically challenged and gets in such a tizz and a flap that I had trouble even getting her to understand the principle of keying in the three digits to change to a specific channel.... and as for using the + and - buttons!!! Having spent over an hour and a half on the phone with her I was just about ready to meet my maker.

Anyway, as we have cable via Virgin Media I'm not all that familiar with Sky so I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

1. She has a freesat box made by Amstrad which I think might be a DRX400 going by her description of its appearance. Is it normal for Freesat with Sky to use such a unit?

2. I'm sure that yesterday when I was scouring the web I saw a page on Sky's site about Freesat from Sky but today, all Google links go to this page and I can't find any mention of it on their website. Am I missing something?

3. I was hoping to find a full channel listing of what's available including the 3-digit numbers but the listings I've seen on some adhoc websites are not consistent. Can you recommend a reliable and up-to-date source? She's been given a channel list by the installers but I'd like something that I can view here.

4. I asked her to key in some channel numbers for channels that aren't supposed to be available with Freesat (such as 112 Living) and I think she was able to view the channels. Is this sometimes the case? Is it possible she's got some other 'enhanced' Freesat service from Sky or what?? I'm pretty sure she's not subscribed to Sky per se - just the one-off payment.

Any pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated as I suspect I'll be getting another call all too soon!!
      Thanks!

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: Freesat form Sky and my elderly Mum!!!

What, no replies?

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

A far better way to deal with this would be for your mum to ask some of her mates who already have Sky, get the warden involved. Trying to do this over the phone is difficult for all concerned.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Sky do have a Favourite Channel setting. You pick your Favourites from the list offered and then by repeat pressing of the blue key the favourite channels are offered on a carousel basis. When you reach the one you want you press Select.

Of course Sky invented it's EPG so you didn't need to remember channel numbers. If she looks at the EPG then she will see the channel numbers next to every single channel.

But I do know your problem, I had a similar one when my octagenarian father was alive and I was stood next to him. I guess Brian69's suggestion of 'self help in the group' is the best solution.

Good luck!

Thanks

Its less to do with how you explain things but more who you are. I had all these problems when my parents were alive with their new automatic washer, they just could not understand, and I began to loose my temper "look just turn the knob clockwise in the direction of the arrow!!" and "no you cannot open the door when it is full of water" we were all just getting nowhere. But as soon as my son showed them, they understood straight away!! "well I dont know why your dad could not explain it like that, it was much easer the way you said"
      I just sat back with a large scotch, looking on as wonder boy read the instruction book to them and they listerned all ears

Thanks

Thanks folks!

I am actually really patient with her and go through things slowly and calmly - it's just when I come off the phone I scream!!! It doesn't help that she's everso deaf as well and thanks but I did suggest she asks her neighbour to show her but she said she finds her totally unintelligible!! Hey ho! Bless her cotton socks.

Anyway, thanks for the tip about the Favourites thing. I shall have to drive down and see her as soon as I can so that we can sit together and go through it.

Anyone fancy a trip to Littlehampton??!!!!

Thanks

The real worry Linda is that slowly but surely you turn into them