Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connecting Sky box Via Component / S-Video

This is a discussion on Connecting Sky box Via Component / S-Video within the Freesat forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi All, I'm trying to setup a Vista based media centre for my dad but am having issues connecting the ...

Cliff_Wright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Connecting Sky box Via Component / S-Video

Hi All,

I'm trying to setup a Vista based media centre for my dad but am having issues connecting the Sky Box up even to the TV . . .

For the benefit of the media centre, I need to connect to the media centre I need either an S-Video connection or (preferably) a component connection . . . so I bought a Scart >> component / S-Video adapter (you know, the sort with the in/out switch on it) but can't get a decent picture . . . before going anywhere near the media centre, I'm trying to connect the Sky box to the TV directly to check the picture . . .

If I connect the Sky box via the TV out scart socket (actually either . . . seems to make no difference), through the adapter and via a component cable to the TV, I get a black/white picture which looks like a 4:3 format (a black area each side) . . . and if I connect via the same method but using an S-Video cable, I get a full screen picture which looks a better 16:9 format, but it's still black / white picture that's very grainy . . .

I've read a few threads on various formats which talk about how Sky boxes output RGB but I'm a bit lost . . .

I have my own media centre connected up in the same way (via component cable) and it works a treat . . .

Now the only material difference I can see, is that My Sky box is a PACE DS440N box but my dad's (which is a Freesat setup incidentally) is an Amstrad box (a DRX440 I think) . . .

Does anyone know if it's simply the way the box outputs a signal that I'm experiencing?

Do you think buying a PACE box of eBay or similar will sort me out?

Any help much appreciated!

Cheers

Cliff

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Connecting Sky box Via Component / S-Video

In the past I've connected a Sky Pace box using a converter as you describe to Composite Video and it worked fine. But note the Digibox output is Composite and NOT Component video so all the video comes out through a single RCA/Phono connection. The only Sky boxes to offer Component Video are Thomson HD boxes with the three RCA video outputs on the back of the box.