Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ITV HD - Freesat exclusive

This is a discussion on ITV HD - Freesat exclusive within the Freesat forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; The upcoming "ITV HD" (currently undergoing test transmissions) will be Freesat exclusive. Digital Satellite viewers with Sky HD boxes, or ...

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

ITV HD - Freesat exclusive

The upcoming "ITV HD" (currently undergoing test transmissions) will be Freesat exclusive.

Digital Satellite viewers with Sky HD boxes, or even with non-Sky FTA HD boxes, will not be able to view it.

And it's not simply a case of it not being in the EPG & just needing a manual tune... the box cannot actually view it at all, as it's only going to be available via ITV's red button interactive service on Freesat, and the current test channel apparently does not follow the same DVB standards that a normal channel would follow.

Sky may eventually get it... if they do a deal with ITV (or maybe if ITV actually realise they're preventing a great number of potential viewers from seeing it).

Do ITV really think that any of the half million Sky HD owners will rush out to buy a second box just to watch ITV HD? Will Freesat get enough Freesat HD box owners to compete with Sky HD?

Don't really care myself... I think ITV is awful anyway. Still sucks though, IMO, as I thought the whole point of Freesat was to increase access/availability to digital TV for everyone...restricting a channel to Freesat boxes only (& not even allowing normal HD FTA boxes to view it, let alone Sky boxes) is no better than FTV channels being restricted to Sky boxes only 'cos of NDS.

Freesat aims to link up with broadband | Media | guardian.co.uk

Satellite - News - Confirmed: ITV HD is Freesat exclusive - Digital Spy

Satellite - News - Sky responds to Freesat launch - Digital Spy
      Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 06-05-08 at 10:04 PM.

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: ITV HD - Freesat exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
      it's only going to be available via ITV's red button interactive service on Freesat
      So the only way to record it will be on VHS!!!!!!!!! Cracking.

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I've been looking at decoding this. So far I can get a still image from my Technotrend receiver and TS Reader Pro, by fooling it to use the PIDs correctly. The video is still H.264 encoded, but the tables don't describe it so a box can decode it.
      I'm hoping for more success tommorow!

Thanks

Got it working this morning, I can get video using CoreAvc Pro, but no audio, and I can get audio with VLC but no video!
      Core Avc Pro deosnt currently support AC3 audio but eventually will.
      Bit of overkill here tho just to watch one single channel! (over 300quid)

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I love you Sky-centric guys -- the point of Freesat is to reach people who can't already receive Freeview. The 300 (or so) is a one-off cost and brings with it access to HD -- which will be some time coming for terrestrial Freeview-ers and only otherwise available by subscription from Virgin and Sky.

While I agree that ITV sucks , nothing is worse in my view that Sky's formula of having to pay for a TV licence -- then having to pay a subscription and watch endless ads on Sky.

I should admit that my flatmate's taste in TV is God-awful (she pays the Sky sub) but from what I see of her viewing I can't believe that anyone would pay to watch Sky when Freeview is, well, Free !

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I have a problem with the 'Freesat' title. It isn't 'free' - I have numerous FTA Satellite boxes and none will receive 'free'sat. If I want to receive it I have to go out and buy another (overpriced) box. I did think PSB was meant to be receivable on standard equipment without additional costs. My STB's are standard equipment and won't receive Freesat and my industry standard HD box won't receive ITV HD.

ITV's HD move is really odd. Only a few people will be able to receive ITV HD when it should have represented an enormous boost in advertising revenue from sponsors keen to exploit the new format. But with only a few geeks watching why should they rush to pay ITV more money for slots on HD?

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I'am sure that ITV are still hurting over the failure of ON/ITV digital and wont give an inch to Sky untill they are forced. I remember they were ages before they arrived on digital sat. It wont be long before they have to get their HD service on Sky as well.
      Freesat are playing a risky game by going head to head with Sky's own free offering (the 150 no subs one). If there looks like any sort of take up, Sky will just under cut it and this may see an end to the 10 for HD
      Last edited by Brian69; 07-05-08 at 11:53 AM.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

The Sky Freesat offer is 75 inclusive. No installation fee. 4 months free Sky TV. After that the equipment is the buyers and the buyer choses if to continue with Sky (and then get free Broadband and free telephone calls along with the sub). To anyone wanting SD content it easily beats the Freesat offer of 120 for the cheapest box and cheapest installation.

The difference is HD. Sky offer a very sophisticated PVR. Freesat offer a simple HD STB. The difference in price isn't massive but it is the only clear equipment difference between the two freesats.

But HD is still answering a question the consumer isn't asking. Sky hasn't sold a lot even after a couple of years. Only about 5% of Sky customers have gone HD whereas the same customers have largely bought HDTV sets. So HD isn't a great motivator to sales. Maybe the competition between the freesat's will increase public appetite for HD. I'm sure everyone (except the customer) want it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      I love you Sky-centric guys -- the point of Freesat is to reach people who can't already receive Freeview. The 300 (or so) is a one-off cost and brings with it access to HD -- which will be some time coming for terrestrial Freeview-ers and only otherwise available by subscription from Virgin and Sky.

While I agree that ITV sucks , nothing is worse in my view that Sky's formula of having to pay for a TV licence -- then having to pay a subscription and watch endless ads on Sky.

I should admit that my flatmate's taste in TV is God-awful (she pays the Sky sub) but from what I see of her viewing I can't believe that anyone would pay to watch Sky when Freeview is, well, Free !
      The 300quid is me using the equipment I have at hand not what it will cost the end user.
      I have no problem with Freeview and I haven't been playing it down.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dms05 View Post
      I have a problem with the 'Freesat' title. It isn't 'free' - I have numerous FTA Satellite boxes and none will receive 'free'sat. If I want to receive it I have to go out and buy another (overpriced) box. I did think PSB was meant to be receivable on standard equipment without additional costs. My STB's are standard equipment and won't receive Freesat and my industry standard HD box won't receive ITV HD.

ITV's HD move is really odd. Only a few people will be able to receive ITV HD when it should have represented an enormous boost in advertising revenue from sponsors keen to exploit the new format. But with only a few geeks watching why should they rush to pay ITV more money for slots on HD?

I think the way ITV have done it may be due to the licencing of content and the lack of UK focused transponders. By making it difficult for people to watch it then they do not have to encrypt but can still use one of the europe wide transponders (cheaper as well).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast