Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

ITV HD - Freesat exclusive

This is a discussion on ITV HD - Freesat exclusive within the Freesat forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Originally Posted by dms05 The Sky Freesat offer is 75 inclusive. No installation fee. 4 months free Sky TV. After ...

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: ITV HD - Freesat exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by dms05 View Post
      The Sky Freesat offer is 75 inclusive. No installation fee. 4 months free Sky TV. After that the equipment is the buyers and the buyer choses if to continue with Sky (and then get free Broadband and free telephone calls along with the sub). To anyone wanting SD content it easily beats the Freesat offer of 120 for the cheapest box and cheapest installation.

The difference is HD. Sky offer a very sophisticated PVR. Freesat offer a simple HD STB. The difference in price isn't massive but it is the only clear equipment difference between the two freesats.

But HD is still answering a question the consumer isn't asking. Sky hasn't sold a lot even after a couple of years. Only about 5% of Sky customers have gone HD whereas the same customers have largely bought HDTV sets. So HD isn't a great motivator to sales. Maybe the competition between the freesat's will increase public appetite for HD. I'm sure everyone (except the customer) want it.
      I don't think it would be difficult for Sky to change their STB to make it easy to access the ITV HD content if the want to. As I understand it the ITV HD content will only be accessible via a red button prompt, but the actual video is still H.264 HD video, which the Sky box can see if told how to see it correctly.

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I was just about to take the plunge and buy a HD box. Now we have another format war (like Betamax and VHS or more recently Blu-ray and HD-DVD). So like any sensible person I will not now buy anything and wait 2 years for this to be sorted out. I think we can thank ITV for putting back the cause of HD satellite TV by years.

Thanks

I can see what you are saying, but ITV are still basically using H.264 for their HD. The thing they are trying to do is make their HD channel only be available when they have something to show, i.e it wont be available 24hrs a day so they dont have to fill it with up ressed content. When they have an event they can allow users to access it via the red buton. Whilst this could have been done via skys red buttons they have decide to go away from the Open TV way of doing it, and I believe are using MHEG.
      I can now watch ITV HD's tests using equipment and software that has cost me less than 100quid - now sound and vision! Bloody colour bars all day today!
      Last edited by richone54; 09-05-08 at 09:32 PM. Reason: removed preceeding quote

chuff is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bristol
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I think you will find that you can get a Freesat card for 20 issued from sky wether or not that includes the free HD channel I'm not sure and you can use your existing skybox. you can buy a Freesat set up from sky for 150 but this is not HD.

freesat from Sky - A new way to get free digital satellite TV

Thanks

ITV HD is formatted in a way which most FTA and Sky boxes cannot see.
      No smart card will change the formatting. Only a HD Freesat box, or HD equipment capable of being told what PIDs to use will see ITV HD.
      BBC HD and Luxe HD are freely available on Sky HD and FTA boxes without a Sky smartcard.

mattylad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCROSS
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I live in an area that when freeview is fully launched will NOT be getting all the channels.
      We will only get the few basic ones.

So this will be a godsend as old sky dishes & boxes are relatively easy to get.

totalwar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bermonsey
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky HD T1x2
      Thanks

Seems the best option to me.

I already have Sky's digital satellite equipment - what else do I need?
      All you need to get access to the free channels available on the digital satellite platform is a Freesat viewing card which costs just 20.

Surrender_Monkey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lichfield
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
      The upcoming "ITV HD" (currently undergoing test transmissions) will be Freesat exclusive.

Digital Satellite viewers with Sky HD boxes, or even with non-Sky FTA HD boxes, will not be able to view it.

And it's not simply a case of it not being in the EPG & just needing a manual tune... the box cannot actually view it at all, as it's only going to be available via ITV's red button interactive service on Freesat, and the current test channel apparently does not follow the same DVB standards that a normal channel would follow.

Sky may eventually get it... if they do a deal with ITV (or maybe if ITV actually realise they're preventing a great number of potential viewers from seeing it).

Do ITV really think that any of the half million Sky HD owners will rush out to buy a second box just to watch ITV HD? Will Freesat get enough Freesat HD box owners to compete with Sky HD?

Don't really care myself... I think ITV is awful anyway. Still sucks though, IMO, as I thought the whole point of Freesat was to increase access/availability to digital TV for everyone...restricting a channel to Freesat boxes only (& not even allowing normal HD FTA boxes to view it, let alone Sky boxes) is no better than FTV channels being restricted to Sky boxes only 'cos of NDS.

Freesat aims to link up with broadband | Media | guardian.co.uk

Satellite - News - Confirmed: ITV HD is Freesat exclusive - Digital Spy

Satellite - News - Sky responds to Freesat launch - Digital Spy
      I can get this on my Vantage 7100HD receiver with a Diablo cam. Not that I am too excited by this but ITV HD is not exclusive but rather Sky exclusive if you know what I mean.

Regards,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12