Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Two Mini Dishes?

This is a discussion on Two Mini Dishes? within the Freesat forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi, I have freesat installed which I got by buying a dish and box from a friend who was moving ...

jaystreet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Freesat
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Two Mini Dishes?

Hi, I have freesat installed which I got by buying a dish and box from a friend who was moving and having it installed by a third party installer. I am now looking to get a new intallation from sky but i have a couple of questions:
      1. Can i still get the new customer offers?
      2. Will they put a new(second) mini dish in so i can keep my old freesat box separate from the new

Thanks for any help you can give

2. Advertisement
      mrmt32 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: West Malling
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Two Mini Dishes?

1. I dont see why not, you would be a new customer to sky's service.

2. You don't need another dish, the installer will just fit a duel/quad lnb (the thing that sticks out of your dish that the cable connects to, one with more outputs) and yes this is possible.

spike7451 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Donaghadee
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

The local council may have something to say about 2 dishes on a property,I know some do so I'd check if it's allowed.
      As to the Quad LNB suggested above,Sky are anal about stores accounting & normally you get issued the kit you need for the days jobs.The engineer carries a van stock & has to account for it all.If he fits a Quad on a standard STB job then he might have to pay for using the Quad.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

You could always buy a quad LNB for a mini dish, and let the guy fit that, or fit one to your existing dish yourself, and keep the new dish as a spare.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      You could always buy a quad LNB for a mini dish, and let the guy fit that, or fit one to your existing dish yourself, and keep the new dish as a spare.
      Or do that!

Sky Digital LNB Quad

nobby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Batley
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spike7451 View Post
      Sky are anal about stores accounting & normally you get issued the kit you need for the days jobs.The engineer carries a van stock & has to account for it all.If he fits a Quad on a standard STB job then he might have to pay for using the Quad.
      ur having a laugh, a lad i know whos a sky employed fitter has just moved house and pays his mortgage selling sky remotes, lnbs and used boxes on ebay, no idea how he gets them all but hes been doing it well over a year now, the only thing he wont sell is new boxes..

quad lnb, sky plus, sky box, octo lnb items at low prices on eBay.co.uk
      Last edited by nobby; 03-04-08 at 05:32 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nobby View Post
      ur having a laugh, a lad i know whos a sky employed fitter has just moved house and pays his mortgage selling sky remotes, lnbs and used boxes on ebay, no idea how he gets them all but hes been doing it well over a year now, the only thing he wont sell is new boxes..

quad lnb, sky plus, sky box, octo lnb items at low prices on eBay.co.uk
      No,I'm not having a laugh, When I worked for Sky up to 18 months ago,Sky used to regulary come over & do a snap audit on our vans.If the was anything missing llike STB's,Quad LNB's ect,we got charged for them & possibly sacked as well.
      We all used to carry gash stock on board the van like LNB's,remotes ect which were normally stuff left over from a swap out ect.
      If we went to a service call & the work order said to collect 65.00 off the customer & did'nt we had to either go back & try & get the 65.00 or it came out of your wages,same if we swapped a faulty standard STB when on the work order it said it was Sky+ (The Sky Call Center idiots used to put down for faulty Sky+ to placate the customer cause they did'nt want to pay the 65.00 for the faulty out of warrenty standard box) we had to go & get the money or STB or we'd pay again.
      Also if we did'nt complete the daily job quota & did'nt make it up by the end of the month,then the shortfall came out of your wages.
      Some of the reasons I left.

nobby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Batley
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

dont know how hes doing it but hes selling 10-15 sky+ remotes and the same with hd remotes he also does octo lnbs. He leaves his mobile no with the customers, if they have any problems they call him and not sky so he still gets his bonus. He called and looked at our Sky+ a while back, a legit call thro sky, he did nothing as he was going to swap the box for a Pace PVR3 but didnt have one with him, when hed gone i read the job sheet Id just signed and it said hed replaced LNB and replaced cabling.. surprised hes not been caught out yet..

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

I have seen too many unprotected LNB F plugs to trust any Sky installer. I dont think this is their fault, they are just so pushed for time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      I have seen too many unprotected LNB F plugs to trust any Sky installer. I dont think this is their fault, they are just so pushed for time.
      Thanks!
      It's so easy to put some self amalgamating tape onto an F,what about ten seconds?
      One of the main causes I found for no Satalite Signal was they engineer did'nt fit the pin thru the arm & LNB,so the LNB gradually moves out of the arm which decreases the signal,or the LNB being help on by PVC tape.
      It's just lazyness on the part of the installer.
      I actually had a service call once to move a dish about 6 feet over to one side of the front of a house,sited between the ground floor & upstairs because the engineer who called out originally told the customer he did'nt move dish's as he was'nt paid enough & he would have to get the bokes who move the dish out to do it!
      I nearly thumped him the next day when I saw him in the stores,Still he got the sack for pulling that stunt one too many times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast