Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Getting the password to switch to TP Link Archer D20

This is a discussion on Getting the password to switch to TP Link Archer D20 within the Extracting Sky Router passwords forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hello guys, Was recommended this forum from another I post on when I mentioned my issue. Just bought a new ...

wdtwr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: TP Link Archer D20
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Getting the password to switch to TP Link Archer D20

Hello guys,

Was recommended this forum from another I post on when I mentioned my issue.

Just bought a new router to replace my standard black Sky one (not sure which version it is, is there any way for me to find out? No branding on the router itself) and went for the TP Link Archer D20.

I've just been going through the set-up and have been asked for the PPPoA username and password to finalise my connection.

I've read through a few threads on here but in all honesty, 99% of it is completely foreign to me

Could someone possibly guide me through the process of getting the username and password?

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      wdtwr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: TP Link Archer D20
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Getting the password to switch to TP Link Archer D20

Quote Originally Posted by wdtwr View Post
      Hello guys,

Was recommended this forum from another I post on when I mentioned my issue.

Just bought a new router to replace my standard black Sky one (not sure which version it is, is there any way for me to find out? No branding on the router itself) and went for the TP Link Archer D20.

I've just been going through the set-up and have been asked for the PPPoA username and password to finalise my connection.

I've read through a few threads on here but in all honesty, 99% of it is completely foreign to me

Could someone possibly guide me through the process of getting the username and password?

Thanks.
      I've now managed to get the username and password using wireshark but that still doesnt solve the issue

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 21.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

I think you'll find the D20 will not work with sky fibre ( VDSL ) which requires WAN DHCP option 61 support. It will work with ADSL. The only TP-Link router I am aware of that works out of the box with Sky Fibre is the VR900.

I am a little confused though, you say you have a black sky router, do you also have an OpenReach modem? If not then you have an SR102, which is also a VDSL modem, yet the D20 is ADSL only.

I will assume that as your info says SFU the you have an OpenReach modem...

The only way you will be to use the D20 is to leave the Sky router in place and use the D20 as a DMZ device, not the ideal solution. If you can I would suggest returning the D20 and exchanging it for a router that either is, or that can made to be Sky compatible.
      Last edited by marjohn56; 21-12-15 at 09:26 PM.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
      --------------------------------------------------------

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

As said as this does not have a built in vDSL modem it cannot be used to connect direct to Sky Fibe, or any other Fibre Connection. As its an ADSL router, the only way you can use it is to follow the guide here - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html Not ideal, but it will allow you to use the superior wireless.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.