Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Extracting pass from Netgear DG834GT with latest firmware.

This is a discussion on Extracting pass from Netgear DG834GT with latest firmware. within the Extracting Sky Router passwords forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hey, first time poster here looking for some help.. Recently, I've been trying to extract my Sky password from my ...

gidn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Extracting pass from Netgear DG834GT with latest firmware.

Hey, first time poster here looking for some help..

Recently, I've been trying to extract my Sky password from my grey/white DG834GT, which I believe is from 2007 or 2008. My router's firmware is: V1.04.13. I believe this is the latest firmware that has been auto-updated

Firstly, I tried to use Jose's URL injection bug, but I kept getting "Connection closed by remote server". I tried other URL injections scattered around different forums (skyuser, digitalspy.co.uk, etc.) to no avail.

Secondly, I tried cm9.net/skypass and pHMb's password generators after bringing up the telnet daemon by visiting http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug. I used LAN Port MAC address and ADSL Port MAC address to generate username/password, but nothing seemed to give me access to telnet. I just kept getting the login prompt from my router's telnet daemon.

All of this leads me to believe that Sky have patched the URL injection bug and changed their password algorithm in the latest firmware auto-update.

Any ideas/input?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Extracting pass from Netgear DG834GT with latest firmware.

Double post deleted.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Using the cm9 generator does not get you into telnet, it gives you the username and password in plain text. I have just tried it and get the same result I got years ago. The LAN MAC is the correct one to use, it is printed on the label on the router.

Edit - If you would like me to try it for you, PM me your LAN MAC. Copy and paste it from your status page so there is no chance of a mistake.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Using the cm9 generator does not get you into telnet, it gives you the username and password in plain text. I have just tried it and get the same result I got years ago. The LAN MAC is the correct one to use, it is printed on the label on the router.

Edit - If you would like me to try it for you, PM me your LAN MAC. Copy and paste it from your status page so there is no chance of a mistake.
      Oh! I thought that would give me access to telnet, so I could experiment with programs like adsctl on the router.

Do you know any way to get access to telnet then? Keeping in mind, that the URL injection stuff doesn't work anymore.

Thanks

I don't know if James CU firmware will work with the updated firmware but it is worth a try. It allows you to enable Telnet and much more. It may not work, but is probably worth a try. You will find it here -

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/techn...tml#post142601

If it doesn't work all I can suggest is that you try to revert to the previous firmware. I have been using DGTeam firmware for some time now so can't test it for you.

TomD

Useful Utilites

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

gidn (16-10-12)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I don't know if James CU firmware will work with the updated firmware but it is worth a try. It allows you to enable Telnet and much more. It may not work, but is probably worth a try. You will find it here -

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/techn...tml#post142601

If it doesn't work all I can suggest is that you try to revert to the previous firmware. I have been using DGTeam firmware for some time now so can't test it for you.
      Thanks for all the help!

I'm swaying towards not messing with my firmware as I'm afraid I might brick this router or do something silly and irreversible. But even then I've had this thing since 2007, so I could ask for another, right?

They won't know if I use the CU firmware, or will they? I've read elsewhere that they know if you use another router, but what if you change firmware?

And once again, thanks for the replies, Isitme!

Edit: reading through the whole thread (yeah, 12 pages ) you linked me, Isitme.. right after I do the dishes.
      Last edited by gidn; 16-10-12 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Amendment.

Thanks

Having had a think about it, I don't think the router will accept the CU update. It is basically Sky Version 1.03.87 which is older than the version you have. Normally routers will not accept older firmware and will just reboot and reject it. Unfortunately James is not around very often now so will not have done an update to allow his firmware to install. The only way to do it would be to use the Recovery utility, which is a bit of a hassle. Sky would not be able to detect you are using this firmware, but the problem is even if you installed it, it would soon update to the latest firmware thus breaking the CU firmware. James was careful to ensure that his version would not stop the router updating to new firmware should Sky supply it.

Edit: reading through the whole thread (yeah, 12 pages ) you linked me, Isitme.. right after I do the dishes.
      It depends on the setting in your CP, I only have 3 pages in mine.

TomD

Useful Utilites