Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow connection with non Sky router after extracting username and p/w from Sagem ?

This is a discussion on Slow connection with non Sky router after extracting username and p/w from Sagem ? within the Extracting Sky Router passwords forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Im having some trouble getting a fast connection on my new ADSL modem like I did before with my Sagem ...

neoglow is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Slow connection with non Sky router after extracting username and p/w from Sagem ?

Im having some trouble getting a fast connection on my new ADSL modem like I did before with my Sagem F @ ST 2504n Router.

I extracted the username and password eventually, after lots of tries I finally extracted the correct ones, I know its the right one because I can login with the those details with my new non Sky Modem (a Draytek Vigor 120) and use the internet.

I got confused with which MAC address to use, the LAN or WAN. Turns out it is the LAN MAC you need in order to get the username and password.

However, the connection is really slow compared to the Sagem, I can only get about 3-4mb downstream connection with the Draytek, whereas the Sagem was on about 12-13mb downstream!

Ive been reading about this MAC spoofing, but which MAC do you assign to the non Sky router/modem ? Im guessing its the WAN one and not the LAN one?

Also, there is a section in the Draytek modems web interface/setup where it shows the WAN Status, and this is always 'disconnected' even though I am actually on the internet at the time??? Does this mean I have successfully connected to the internet with a non-sky router but my connection is massively reduced as their networks have still identified I am using a non sky modem/router?

Ive read about this MER and PPPoA, how can I find out if my phone line is connected to an MER or PPPoA system?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated!

Pics...

Sky Router

Draytek Router
      Last edited by neoglow; 02-01-12 at 12:45 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Slow connection with non Sky router after extracting username and p/w from Sagem

Firstly, could you post the connection stats from both your Sagem 2540 router and also your own router please?

I suspect that the answer is as simple as your own router is not configured for ADSL2+. The routers stats will confirm this.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view-routerstats.html

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Slow connection with non Sky router after extracting username and p/w from Sagem

I have updated with pics of the router stats for the Sky router and the Draytek ADSL modem.

Thanks

Ok, why have you still got that router configured for DNS servers in Holland?

Whilst I appreciate that many people do configure their own routers for public DNS servers, could I ask that for now you perhaps use OpenDNS, Google or Sky's DNS servers?

This may help a little, but doubtful.

It does appear that the settings are correct and ADSL2+ is being picked up.

With regards to specifying the MAC address, this isn't required for Sky's PPPoA connection. I am just fishing to see if there is something obvious that is causing a problem.

I also notice that you are not posting from a Sky BB connection. Could you confirm what is happening there please?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I was under the impression that the Vigor120 did not require setting up. All of this, including entering the username and password, are done in the connecting router. Doing what you have done, I am not sure how you are getting a connection at all.

What router are you using to connect to the modem? To work properly with the Vigor120, you need a router with a WAN port, does your router have this?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Ok, why have you still got that router configured for DNS servers in Holland?

Whilst I appreciate that many people do configure their own routers for public DNS servers, could I ask that for now you perhaps use OpenDNS, Google or Sky's DNS servers?

This may help a little, but doubtful.

It does appear that the settings are correct and ADSL2+ is being picked up.

With regards to specifying the MAC address, this isn't required for Sky's PPPoA connection. I am just fishing to see if there is something obvious that is causing a problem.

I also notice that you are not posting from a Sky BB connection. Could you confirm what is happening there please?
      Thanks for reply,

Ok, I think I am going to need some help here.

First, DNS servers in Holland, which router are you refering to the Draytek, or the Sky one? I havent changed (dont think I can change) the settings for the Sky one, never have. If you mean the Draytek, where or how could you tell I am connected to a Holland DNS?

Posting from non Sky BB? I do sometimes use the work internet to post on the forum but 99% off the time I use my Sky BB connection at home. Again, how could you tell that?

The only thing I can think of with the Sky DNS Holland thing, if you are referring to the Draytek modem, then could this be caused by the firmware? I sure I have the UK firmware installed?

Please help me

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I was under the impression that the Vigor120 did not require setting up. All of this, including entering the username and password, are done in the connecting router. Doing what you have done, I am not sure how you are getting a connection at all.

What router are you using to connect to the modem? To work properly with the Vigor120, you need a router with a WAN port, does your router have this?
      At the moment Im not using a Router, Im connected directly to the Draytek modem. It has a single ethernet port on the back of it which according to the manual can be used to connect to a router or PC. Its conencted directly to my PC through the LAN/ethernet port on the motherboard. The same port I used in the past to connect the Sky Router.

Is this the problem? Surely it wouldnt matter if the Draytek modem is connected straight to my PC or to my router first? I will connect one soon as I need to connect my Xbox up to the internet too via a router.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neoglow View Post
      First, DNS servers in Holland, which router are you refering to the Draytek, or the Sky one? I havent changed (dont think I can change) the settings for the Sky one, never have. If you mean the Draytek, where or how could you tell I am connected to a Holland DNS?
      The Primary & Secondary DNS settings on the Draytek router are not numbers that I recognised, so I ran them through a program I have to check the IP Address location. The come up with a company in Holland.

The Sky Router pic shows Sky's DNS Servers.

Posting from non Sky BB? I do sometimes use the work internet to post on the forum but 99% off the time I use my Sky BB connection at home. Again, how could you tell that?
      The DNS Server figures got me thinking. As a forum moderator I can see the IP Address that people post from, so I looked yours up.

The only thing I can think of with the Sky DNS Holland thing, if you are referring to the Draytek modem, then could this be caused by the firmware? I sure I have the UK firmware installed?
      DNS Servers can be set manually or automatically. I have mentioned the Sky ones above. There are also public DNS Servers available. A quick Google search will find these.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Is this the problem? Surely it wouldnt matter if the Draytek modem is connected straight to my PC or to my router first?
      To connect to Sky you normally need a username and password. These are 'built in' to the Sky router/modem but must be entered manually if you are using your own. I am at a loss to understand how you are connecting at all if you are not entering these somewhere.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.