Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

UAVs or Drones

This is a discussion on UAVs or Drones within the Everyday Life forums, part of the Community channel category; Whilst there are many uses for these vehicles, the kind I am on about are the ones used to capture ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

UAVs or Drones

Whilst there are many uses for these vehicles, the kind I am on about are the ones used to capture stunning video and still images.

They are able to get above where we can normally move and allow quality panning in almost any direction.

But even in the second video above there is evidence that the operator may not have followed the current rules for flying these drones.
      Drones fitted with cameras must not be flown:

• within 50 metres of people, vehicles, buildings or structures
      • over congested areas or large gatherings such as concerts and sports events
      Why have I brought this up?

Simply because there are some out there attempting to capture some images of the Fly Scotsman which has recently completed it's restoration.

Flying Scotsman attacked by drone
      Chilling evidence has emerged of trainspotters deploying drone hordes after a UAV collided with the rear carriage of the Flying Scotsman over the weekend.

She continued: "The next thing we knew there was an almighty crash - it sounded like it had crashed into the roof. It was such a shock and could have caused a major accident. What if it had gone through the window?"
      I'm all for capturing some great videos of still photos, but there is a good reason why we need to be careful.

There has been reports of drones getting close to planes already, but I wonder if you heard about this one...

It has been pretty close in the UK already...

Drone almost hits plane landing at Southampton Airport - Portsmouth News
      A drone nearly hit an aircraft coming in to land at Southampton Airport, aviation investigators have revealed.

It was one of 23 near misses between aircraft and drones in just six months, according to the UK Airprot Board.
      The article goes on to list a variety of other incidents across the UK during the past 12 months.

Do we play the waiting game? When will there be an aeroplane crash due to these drones?

Don't misunderstand me though. Personally I'd love to have a drone to play with and get some great footage from. Of course I wouldn't wish to fly it anywhere near an airport or into an historic locomotive.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      BurnIT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01827
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Re: UAVs or Drones

You probably couldn't fly near an airport anyway as that should be a built in no fly zone, but that would not stop you from downing a plane elsewhere !

There will be a ban on them introduced, or you will need a licence after training, mainly because of the few irresponsible people who "couldn't possibly cause an accident".

The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

The above is animation see the below video.

Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Realist View Post
      The above is animation see the below video.
      It would probably have done a lot more damage if it had been sucked into the engine! Anyone flying a drone anywhere near an airport is an idiot and should be jailed for endangering life.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thinking a little about this, if someone were to have their drone sucked into the engine, resulting in the aircraft crashing with the loss of life of all on board, the potential kick back would be horrendous.

For a moment I won't go into the potential for banning drones. Technically they are already banned any where near an airport without written consent anyway. I'll also avoid going into the accountability of the whole industry surrounding the manufacturing and sale of the products.

How about what may happen to the drone pilot? Of course this would depend on said drone pilot being identified and subsequently caught. Forget about the public outcry demanding why the CAA or Government didn't do something sooner.

Potentially they could face a manslaughter charge for each and every member of the plane's crew and for each and every passenger.

In practise a crash is unlikely to happen to a large jet liner such as a Boeing 747. They are designed to be able to fly with one or more engine failure, although catching a Jumbo at take-off is a serious matter. The Concorde accident was put down to debris being picked up from the runway and thrown from the wheels into the wing at a high velocity due to it's take-off speed and the relatively small diameter of the wheels. This isn't the issue with a Jumbo.

A smaller jet could have a problem. Sure the designers and those who tested them should have planned for and tested for a single engine failure. I would expect the said pilots to have trained for such a situation. They often have to deal with 'bird strikes', so it isn't too much beyond their abilities.

Whilst the pilot of a major airliner would be expected to know what to do in the event of a bird strike, would you expect such stringent practises to be enforced upon the pilots of say a Learjet? What about all those light aircraft flown by other less frequent flyers?

Of course should a plane come down following a crash with a Drone, it has to come down somewhere. In the case of Concorde it was everyone in the Hotelissimo hotel who experienced the consequences.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 20.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

I'm sure the silly B's using laser pens also don't realise the danger they put people in, after all it's only a little pen.

In theory modern engines should not suffer catastrophic failure when a strike happens, at least not such as failure as to cause debris to escape from the engine cage; it's then that something might happen that's fatal, as was the case with Concorde, and very nearly the case with an Australian A380 when one of it's engines exploded.

Don't know what the answer is....

It's not a case of if it happens, it's a case of when.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
      --------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

There is a simple answer.
      Ban them in public without a licence and anyone caught flying one without gets a huge fine and prison - no excuses.
      Also anyone caught with a laser anywhere near a flight path (unless actually used in work) gets the same punishment.

Thanks

Since the whole of the UK is virtually a flight path, it would be easier to just ban laser pens.

https://www.flightradar24.com

Where I live and on a good day, I can see planes flying over the Isle of Wight very easily. Actually I can see them before they are over the Isle of Wight. I can also see aircraft over Brighton and Southampton.

Thanks

That's why I said - unless actually used in work

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

This weeks "The Good Wife" (US Pace) was about an issue (at least the main legal case) with drones filming over people's property without prior permission and/or denied permission.

There are some spoilers below this line for people not watching US pace and there are no spoiler TAG's available on this site AFAIK.

************************************************** ************************************************** *************************************

Was funny actually (IMO) as the client actually resorted to shooting them out of the sky and then lost his case multiple times [sorry for the spoiler].

Aside: weird how I start to capitalise words like Sky, Original, Variety and Family dues to my work when there's no reason to.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast