Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree1Likes

The devices quietly running up your energy bills

This is a discussion on The devices quietly running up your energy bills within the Everyday Life forums, part of the Community channel category; Not quite right Saturday! We already have a major stored water energy producer at Llanberis in N Wales Electric Mountain ...

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: The devices quietly running up your energy bills

Not quite right Saturday! We already have a major stored water energy producer at Llanberis in N Wales Electric Mountain - Dinorwig . It's known as Electric Mountain.

The output is of the order of 2,000 MW and the stations 6 turbines can switch from 0 to full output in 16 seconds. It was commissioned in 1984.

The water is pumped uphill during the night when the nuclear plants are under utilised and allowed to flow back down through the turbines when demand needs meeting during the day.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

One of the first pump storage systems was the Cruachan Power Station, commissioned in the 60s, just after the Ffestiniog Power Station. There are 4 such stations in the UK, including Dinorwig which is by far the largest and Loch Sloy. Unfortunately the requirements for such schemes means there are few places where they are feasible, only parts of Wales and Scotland in the UK.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dms05 View Post
      Not quite right Saturday! We already have a major stored water energy producer at Llanberis in N Wales
      That's the point I was making: the very first sentence I wrote
      The only efficient and practical way so far devised to store significant amounts of energy is through kinetic energy in stored water
      I then went on to say that the scale needed (e.g. to the levels needed to iron out the vagaries of wind power) was the showstopper, not that you can't store energy that way.

The current UK energy demand is 37 GW*. Projects like the one you mention, combined, are currently capable of delivering around 1%* of that demand but not continuously, so we would maybe need 100 times what we currently have, plus extra for growth to cope with calm days when wind doesn't contribute and dull days or night time when solar doesn't deliver. That would, as I say be a truly remarkable engineering project.

Remember too that this is stored energy so you have to generate that much power (more actually to allow for inefficient energy conversion) to be able to use it from store. Middle of winter, high demand, no wind, dull days and long night time hours. How much energy do you need stored now and how much do you need to generate to replenish that store? Can't be done in the UK with wind and solar power and stored water.

If you are interested in the UK power grid, here's a pretty informative dashboard - U.K. National Grid status

* as at the time of writing. Those figures are dynamic and vary by the hour.

mattylad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCROSS
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Actually you wrote
      The scale of the requirement would require civil engineering works of a scale never achieved so far anywhere in the world
      Yet it has been achieved so your post was "not quite right" as suggested

Has anyone actually monitored their set top boxes to see what the current drain of them actually is?

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by mattylad View Post
      Has anyone actually monitored their set top boxes to see what the current drain of them actually is?
      I was ready to monitor every device i owned a few years ago because my electricity supplier at the time were giving away the equipment to do so.
      Unfortunately i didn't receive mine at the time & so never got around to doing it, however i see that these monitors are now available from around just 15 or so.

It would certainly be interesting to see how accurate the manufacturer's of many products claims are, particularly with the trend of firmware updates significantly altering a products' performance.

Paul2003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leamington Spa
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

The monitors are brilliant, turn on your microwave and they go crazy

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2003 View Post
      The monitors are brilliant, turn on your microwave and they go crazy
      Why do you need a monitor to see what is inside the Microwave?
      jrfer likes this.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12