Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

Life under the sea

This is a discussion on Life under the sea within the Everyday Life forums, part of the Community channel category; Ever wondered what the draw to go diving is like? The article linked below may help. I won't cross post ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

Life under the sea

Ever wondered what the draw to go diving is like?

The article linked below may help. I won't cross post this one because this is most definately a case of 'a picture painting a 1,000 words'.

Coral in the Great Barrier Reef showcased in this amazing video | Mail Online

The embeded video is also available on youTube. However it isn't at full HD in the article, so I have linked it below:

Some more of Daniel Stoupin's work:

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Life under the sea

That is beautiful.

Although for those of a 'drier' persuasion, i've often thought that cacti, if viewed from a distance, carry a similar aesthetic pleasure:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Life under the sea-tumblr_mm2nurlpip1rnta3io1_500.jpg  

Thanks

Very nice.

One of the joys of Diving is that you can come across some wonderful sights, including the various fish and mammals.

On land they tend to run away from us, but under the sea humans are mostly unknown. so the will watch.

As for chasing them, yes I have seen some people attempt this, we aren't built with good hydrodynamics in mind, especially with a cylinder on your back. They just shoot off very quickly when they need to.

Below is a nice close up of a common fish in some areas, the Parrotfish. Whilst the picture is very good, with clear colours and no detritus reflecting back, the pose would otherwise be easy to get compared to what you need to do on land.

Life under the sea-parrot-fish_656_600x450.jpg

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

It's definitely worth getting wet then.

Despite the fact that that a densly packed collection of cacti can often appear as indistinguishable from coral, the only fauna one could expect to see with my 'dry' version are mealy bugs & red spider mites.
      Which are a pain.

Still, better than sharks though.

Thanks

Sharks? Lovely creatures.

There is a popular saying amongst the diving community. If you are on a boat and shout "Shark!" the snorkellers jump out, and the divers jump in. Believe me, it's true!

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

I know.
      Presumably you've heard of Mike Rutzen?

Can't get my head round that kind of behaviour to be honest.
      I mean, at what point do horror films & roller coasters stop being enough?
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Life under the sea-454773559_65b8a3cef2.jpg  

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus 3200
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

I was going to be a diver when in the Royal Engineers until some stupid second lieutenant cocked things up!

I was on the waiting list to be assessed and then if successful to do a course at Southampton, I believe it was. Marchwood rings a bell in my memory, would that be right?

One Friday morning as usual, we paraded outside the HQ block before going about our daily duties.

My name and another was called out to remain behind, which we did.

We were asked by a second lieutenant if we were ready to go.

We both replied "go where?"

"To Kiel"(I think it was. I was stationed in Germany).

"What for?" we both replied.

"For the assessment".

"What assessment?" we replied.

"For an army diver's course".

To cut a very long almost comedy like conversation short..........

We had been selected to be assessed above hundreds and hundreds of applicants and were due to leave the barracks within 10 minutes for a weekend spent in a compression chamber.

I had to run 1.5 miles to my married quarter, pack a case quickly and explain to my wife that I was going to be away for the weekend.

I ran back and met up with the second lieutenant again.
      The other soldier turned up and we were ready to go. Transport had arrived.

We were then both asked if we had our chest x-rays to take with us.

Obviously we hadn't had any x-rays because we hadn't been told about the course.

So we couldn't go and I never got the opportunity again.

The second lieutenant apologised and admitted that it was his fault and that he had failed to notify us of the course when he should have so that x-rays could be obtained and we would be ready to go.

When I left the army I never had the opportunity to do it privately because I became a single parent of two young children and now I am too old and have health issues that would probably prevent me from doing it.

Thanks

Sounds like someone either did it deliberately or didn't know what he was doing.

Life is full of surprises and different opportunities. Some work out well, others don't.

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus 3200
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

I am quite sure that he didn't know what he was doing. I recall that he looked very embarrassed and at one point he was being told off by the sergeant major very discretely.

Most officers below the rank of Captain tend to be incredible buffoons with no common sense or life coping skills at all!
      I suppose it's because almost all of them have come from a life of luxury, nannies and servants where everything was done for them.

After any briefing from a junior officer we would always turn to a corporal or sergeant and ask what do we really do.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I signed up for a diving course in Cyprus some years ago, but unfortunately before the course started, I went on a three day trip to Egypt and the Holy Land. I returned with a severe case of Delli-belly and was confined to my hotel room for the remainder of my holiday.
      Curiously my wife who was not the least effected by the trip at the time, fell ill on the way home and was hospitalised for a week. She never smoked all the time she was ill and has not smoked since. That was 30 years ago and again, unfortunately, I am still a slave to the weed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast