Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Ofcom to Boost UK Base Station Power for 1800MHz Based 3G and 4G Mobile

This is a discussion on Ofcom to Boost UK Base Station Power for 1800MHz Based 3G and 4G Mobile within the Everyday Life forums, part of the Community channel category; Ofcom to Boost UK Base Station Power for 1800MHz Based 3G and 4G Mobile - ISPreview UK The communications regulator ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,241 Times in 2,104 Posts

Ofcom to Boost UK Base Station Power for 1800MHz Based 3G and 4G Mobile

Ofcom to Boost UK Base Station Power for 1800MHz Based 3G and 4G Mobile - ISPreview UK
      The communications regulator has today proposed to boost the maximum permissible “base station transmit power” in the 1800MHz radio spectrum band for 3G (UMTS) and 4G (LTE / WiMAX) based Mobile Broadband and voice services by +3dB, which could improve coverage and capacity.

It’s understood that Ofcom received requests from EE, Three UK, O2 (Telefσnica UK) and Vodafone to implement the power increase under the related Public Wireless Network licence(s). Ofcom noted that the 3dB boost could improve coverage, capacity, the ability to penetrate deeper into buildings and provide “flexibility to coverage and traffic management, load balancing and efficient handovers between different network layers

Licences for use of the 1800 MHz band are held by:

• O2: 1805.1 to 1810.9 MHz
      • Vodafone: 1810.9 to 1816.7 MHz
      • Three UK: 1816.7 to 1831.7 MHz
      • EE: 1831.7 to 1876.7 MHz

Outcome of the 3dB boost:

• 65 dBm per carrier for UMTS (Universal Mobile Telecommunications System); and
      • 65 dBm per 5 MHz for LTE (Long Term Evolution) and WiMAX (Worldwide Interoperability for Microwave Access).

Ofcom
      said, “We do not consider that allowing a higher maximum permitted base station transmit power will result in any detriment to competition or other spectrum use“. The regulator has now opened a consultation on the change, which is due to close on 30th May 2014.

2. Advertisement
      dewdude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Verizon
      Broadband ISP: Verizon FiOS (Fibre)
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Ofcom to Boost UK Base Station Power for 1800MHz Based 3G and 4G Mobile

I've always wondered how they justify increasing base-station power when the real issue is the return trip; from the phone to the tower. The towers are already putting out much power power than the phone is going to; if you can't reach in a building with the base tower...what makes you think the tower is going to be able to hear the signal coming back.

I'll admit I don't understand fully how the 3G and 4G technologies work modulation wise; I know the antennas have a good bit of RX gain....so maybe there's enough to justify pumping up the power. But it seems silly to be able to pump coverage in to an area the tower can't hear you to begin with.
      FTTP Service: (speed upgrade to 75/75 as of 23/7/2014)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,241 Times in 2,104 Posts

Re: Ofcom to Boost UK Base Station Power for 1800MHz Based 3G and 4G Mobile

I can appreciate that point.

I think the answer will be that batteries will drain a little more quickly when you are on the phone and the potential radiation to the brain will rise too due to a stronger signal.

Of course there are several areas where the coverage is poor. In these areas I hope that it will improve enough to make it more worth while for people to be able to use their mobiles.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.