Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Have you got a nasty case of HTML?

This is a discussion on Have you got a nasty case of HTML? within the Everyday Life forums, part of the Community channel category; 10% of Americans think HTML is an STD while 25% think MP3 is Star Wars robot | Mail Online Have ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Have you got a nasty case of HTML?

10% of Americans think HTML is an STD while 25% think MP3 is Star Wars robot | Mail Online
      Have you got a nasty case of HTML? 10% of Americans think web code is an STD - while 25% think MP3 is a robot from Star Wars

• The study was carried out by discount and coupon site Vouchercloud
      • It asked 2,000 adults to identify a range of tech and non-tech terms
      • One in ten thought web language HTML was a sexually transmitted disease
      • While a quarter thought MP3 audio files were a robot from Star Wars
      • Almost fifty participants believed tablet computers monitor medication

Do you know your MP3 from your C-3PO, or your Blu-ray from your stingray?

A study has discovered one in ten Americans think HTML - the name given to the code that makes up websites - is a sexually transmitted disease, while almost a third think a gigabyte is an insect.

The research was carried out to determine how knowledgeable people are when it comes to tech terms, and how important they think tech is.

Vouchercloud’s study asked 2,392 men and women aged over 18 to identify the meanings of a variety of words.

These words were a mix of technical and non-technical terms, and each term was given with three multiple choice answers.

Participants were also asked how important knowing about technology is.

The term which stumped the most people (77 per cent) was SEO, which stands for Search Engine Optimisation and is the art of writing web content to make it appear higher up in search results.

Almost half of the participants who took part in the Vouchercloud study believed a motherboard used in the computers was the deck of a cruise ship.

Digital audio files, also known as MP3s, were mistaken from a robot from Star Wars by 23 per cent of participants, while 18 per cent though a Blu-ray – a high-definition optical disc successor to the DVD – was a marine animal.

Other terms that confused the participants included software, which was mistaken from comfortable clothing, and USB, which was mistaken from the acronym of a European country.

Almost fifty of the participants thought that a tablet computer was a device used to monitor medication.

Despite these gaps in knowledge, 61 per cent said it was ‘important’ to have a good knowledge of technology today.

‘Technology is a huge interest for our user base, and month after month we see thousands of people visiting our site to look for coupons and deals to use when purchasing their favourite tech products,’ said Jessica Glaus of vouchercloud.net.

‘We wanted to see just how far knowledge of tech terms goes for the average Joe on the street, being an online business.

'It seems that quite a few of us need to brush up on our tech definitions!

‘It’s perfectly understandable that a lot of people won’t know what SEO is, but it will be interesting to see how many more of these terms become more mainstream as tech continues to play a huge role in our lives.’

gymno likes this.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Re: Have you got a nasty case of HTML?

Ho Ho - let's all laugh at the old, the poorly educated and those with low IQ. And as a bonus, they're American!

I just hate crappy journalism

dewdude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Verizon
      Broadband ISP: Verizon FiOS (Fibre)
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

*facepalm*

I'm ashamed of my fellow countrymen. No one knows what an MP3 is anymore since everyone uses iTunes and just "downloads iTunes".

Almost half of the participants who took part in the Vouchercloud study believed a motherboard used in the computers was the deck of a cruise ship.

Digital audio files, also known as MP3s, were mistaken from a robot from Star Wars by 23 per cent of participants, while 18 per cent though a Blu-ray – a high-definition optical disc successor to the DVD – was a marine animal.

Other terms that confused the participants included software, which was mistaken from comfortable clothing, and USB, which was mistaken from the acronym of a European country.

Almost fifty of the participants thought that a tablet computer was a device used to monitor medication.
      They probably forgot to mention they only interview people over the age of 70 who have very little idea what color TV is. Most of those answers are ones I'd expect to her from a senior citizen who has not the slightest clue about technology. I'm willing to bet not one person in that group of people they asked was under the age of 50.

Thanks

Now just you be careful not to catch a VD off your computer there.

Listening to an on-line radio this morning I heard that this story also made it to the news over there .

As for a 70 year old thinking that an MP3 starred in Star Wars, come on! Star Wars was first released in 1977 when they would have been in their late 30s. Are you telling us that they wouldn't have gone to see the film in the Cinemas back then?

In this digital world there are only two possible answers to the following question...

Did they get it wrong?

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

As for a 70 year old thinking that an MP3 starred in Star Wars, come on! Star Wars was first released in 1977 when they would have been in their late 30s. Are you telling us that they wouldn't have gone to see the film in the Cinemas back then?
      Quite the opposite. My grandparents are in their late 80's and have it on Blu-Ray. But you have to admit, the mind isn't as sharp at that age so it's easy to confuse R2D3 and C3PO in the brain.

I do personally think it's a little misleading..it seems like "oh look, stupid Amercans" type of bashing. Yes, it's true; there are a lot of stupid people, but I think that's kind of universal to every culture. But, considering they used a Vouchercloud survey doesn't really mean it should be representative of the country as a whole. At the same time, as much as you could use those questions to poke fun at us; it doesn't take in to consideration that aside from the under-educated WalMart shopping American that survey seems to represent (although WalMart sells Blu-Rays so they'd know what those are), you've got a highly educated intellectual people who just don't know this stuff because they don't want to.

But, again; I think some of the tech terms could be just differences in English. Take tablet computer for example; you don't hear that term over here often because iPad dominates...so just about every tablet computer gets called an iPad by everyone; regardless of how they're advertised. I had one of my friends who teaches high school pop up on Facebook asking me what the difference between an iPad and tablet was. Every mp3 player is an "iPod", every search engine is Google, every facial tissue is a "Kleenix", every adhesive bandage is a "band-aid"; we use the term acetaminophen rather than paracetamol, but it's still known as "Tylenol". The majority of people are very brand-centric; probably due to the commercial nature of 99% of the media we encounter. I ask someone if they want a sound clip in mp3; they go "uhhh..iTunes". To make matters worse, they continually dumb things down so people become less aware of what stuff is and making them think the brands have to match.

I think what bothers me more are visiting the actual articles and reading public comments from people saying "that's exactly how stupid American's are". I mean, if you're going to say that...at least base it on something deserving...like our politics.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dewdude View Post
      I think what bothers me more are visiting the actual articles and reading public comments from people saying "that's exactly how stupid American's are".
      Me too. Too much UK tabloid journalism thrives on selective editing or even straightforward misrepresentation of the facts to elicit in their readers a negative view of whatever the current thing it is that the editor (or owner) doesn't like or objects to. Most of the readership have no idea just how much their views are being manipulated.

We have trashy tabloids, you have Fox News. You're unlikely to get reasonable unbiased reporting in either.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      We have trashy tabloids, you have Fox News.
      We've got some trashy tabloids too, though our "supermarket tabloids" tend to differ from what British tabloids. TV news networks are pretty lousy in one way or another, but Fox is REALLY left-wing to an extreme level. They also call themselves "Fair and Unbalanced", the same words preached by it's "followers"; I've seen more balanced commentary from a drunk homeless lunatic. It's not even news, it's left-wing propaganda. All of it. Of course, there are a ton of indpendant publications that take a hard lean to one side of the other.

I quite honestly ignore most of what media outlets here consider news. I trust BBC and Al Jazerra more than any of our major outlets.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I think you may be wrong about the age range examined. It could be the ones questioned were too young to care. I can only judge my experience on my granddaughter and my next door neighbour's kids. Sure they can use an iPad and send messages to their friends with lightning speed, but ask them what protocol their iPhone or Pad is using and they do not have a clue. There are exceptions, but most just press the right buttons and it works, they don't really care or know how. Don't forget that Bill Gates is very nearly 60, as Steve Jobs would have been had he survived.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Well, generally when one talks about medication, it's an old person as they simply obsess about it. It's never just "how's the weather" with them...it's always something about medication. Like I said, brand-centric; care less about how it works and just what brand it is.

Don't forget that Bill Gates is very nearly 60, as Steve Jobs would have been had he survived.
      It's funny because most of the people that I encounter that know what an MP3 are usually are either around my age, (31) and have grew up in an era where this stuff wasn't so easily accessible; or are slightly older and grew up before a world where iTunes was synonymous with "music". I guess it depends if you had kids or not. My parents know what MP3's and tablet computer are...usually because I've shown them at some point in time. Now, people younger than me...they have no clue what an MP3 or AAC file is..in fact if you call it that they correct you and call it "iTunes".

I'm pretty sure this is probably universal to every culture. Like you said, your grandkids can use the ipad but have no idea what messaging protocol or what format something is. Then again, it's common with Apple to leave a user completely in the dark.

Thanks

All this talk about iTunes makes me think that I'm missing something here.

Hold on a moment... Perhaps not... I don't have to pay for all those tunes to be downloaded from Apple all the time.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast