Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

What is happening to our shopping centres?

This is a discussion on What is happening to our shopping centres? within the Everyday Life forums, part of the Community channel category; With the news of Comet last year, Jessops last week and now HMV this evening, what is happening to our ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

What is happening to our shopping centres?

With the news of Comet last year, Jessops last week and now HMV this evening, what is happening to our shops?

Are they unable to adjust how they work in order to compete with the likes of Amazon and eBay?

BBC News - HMV: Debt-laden retailer to appoint administrator

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: What is happening to our shopping centres?

Just take a walk down your local high street half of the shops are either boarded up or charity shops that receive the 80 per cent business rate relief. It's not only online sales but also the large out of town shopping centres that can afford to undercut high street stores due to lower ground rents and economy of scale. One thing I have noticed is an increase in the number of cafés and coffee shops. Is this due to the large markup on their products or are the British becoming a café society?

Thanks

I know it is bad. When we have such large national chains going down though, you need to wonder how much worse it will get.

The big superstores talk about profits in terms of £Billions (i.e. Tesco), yet these ones are struggling so much.

As for the Cafés, these are constantly shifting and changing around too. The ones local to me have only been around for a few years now. There is one which has been around a little longer, but it isn't a big national, like Starbucks.

AdamLC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Zen Internet
      Router: TP-Link Deco M5
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Its such a shame! So many empty shops now, especially these larger stores. Zavvi / Virgin Mega Store by us has been empty since it shut down (I guess HMV now too). Jessops also opened a brand new store around 2 weeks ago, only for it to close a few days ago!

TBH in a couple of years I don't think we will have any high street shops outside of shopping centers at all!

Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

We all love to indulge in nostalgia from time to time but we are all to blame. The age-old axiom springs to mind and applies to so many forms of human activity: USE IT OR LOSE IT .

What really does surprise me in this modern age though is the failure of so many huge businesses to see the writing on the wall and do something to adapt.

Kodak failing to notice that we would no longer be requiring film cameras is perhaps the classic example but even the mighty Microsoft took several years to wake up to what was happening in the mobile marketplace and have suffered massively as a result.

Thanks

MVC went several years ago now for similar reasons. HMV has been working hard to adapt and has a large on-line site.

The thing which surprises me is the pricing. Ultimately if two places are able to sell me an identical product at vastly different prices, who is willingly going to go to the one which is more expensive?

Last summer a friend was looking to get a new memory card for her camera. We looked at the Jessops web site and a suitable 8GB memory card was available for £36.99. We could have gone into Portsmouth's main shopping centre and picked one up the same day, problem solved.

After a brief search we found the same memory card available on Amazon for I think around £8 or £9. There was another card with the same specifications and from a reputable brand available for around £7, including next day delivery.

Who could blame her for paying the £7? It was at her place when she got home a couple of days later.

As much as I have reservations for the likes of Currys, based upon past issues with how they have treated customers, they are at least willing to drop their prices where possible to compete with other traders. Their on-line prices are also quite competitive.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I wonder if amazon employ the same amount of uk staff ( would have thought not) and also what the total contribution to the uk economy was by comparison ?

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Just purchased a Eye-Fi 8Gb SD card here

£33 from Amazon or £99 from Curry's

...and people wonder why high street shops are failing. I couldn't care less how either one gets to that price, I'm buying the cheapest one.
      NewsreadeR likes this.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James_Mitchell View Post
      I couldn't care less how either one gets to that price, I'm buying the cheapest one.
      As long as you do not work in an an industry that supply's the general public I agree, either tax laws need to change or there will be no one left working to buy anything (with comet/ jessops/HMV closing, there is another 12,000 people out of work, most would need benefits, government now has less money coming in and more money going out)

Sorry for this negative post

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richone54 View Post
      As long as you do not work in an an industry that supply's the general public I agree, either tax laws need to change or there will be no one left working to buy anything (with comet/ jessops/HMV closing, there is another 12,000 people out of work, most would need benefits, government now has less money coming in and more money going out)
      The likes of Amazon, Pixmania, eBay and many more will be employing people as well to dispatch goods from their relative warehouses. Admittedly there is likely to be fewer employees overall.

Sadly some people will be losing their jobs and I do feel sorry for them.

I do not feel sorry for the large companies who have not been able to adapt to the changing market place.

A similar revolution occurred within the office a few decades ago. It used to be that every large firm had a huge typing pool. Now everyone has access to a computer and in most cases they type up things themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by richone54 View Post
      Sorry for this negative post
      Don't be sorry. This is a subject that I suspect will affect quite a few members.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast