Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Like Tree22Likes

New iPhone 5

This is a discussion on New iPhone 5 within the Everyday Life forums, part of the Community channel category; Calling me a smug idiot?...

stereohaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-AC56U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 2TB Box
      Thanks

Re: New iPhone 5

Calling me a smug idiot?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

With Apple's own benchmark it looks like the 4s was pretty useless if they can improve by that much in one jump. If the Android and the Apple benchmarks are comparable, which they are probably not, it seems the 4s would hardly make the top twenty. Am I just being over suspicious, but does it look like the Apple benchmark comparison has been tweaked in some way. An improvement of around 150% seems a lot for any device, I can't help thinking if this were true Apple would be trumpeting it from the rooftops.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Geekbench who provide the results run exactly the same tests on every handset and are independent of any company, so this isn't Apple marketing, nor have the figures been tweaked in any way.

What this does show is that when Apple said that the iPhone 5 is up to twice as fast as the 4S, they weren't lying. Of course it also shows that the supposedly superior hardware in the SIII isn't as fast, but I can understand some people wanting to ignore these facts when they are presented in black and white...

Thanks

I wonder where these benchmarks were when the iPhone 4 was the supposedly king of the mobiles?

Honestly, I don't really care, I have a Nokia 3200 which is great, when I want to phone someone I just key in the number and there I am, speaking to who I want. I must be one of the few who have no need or desire for a 'smart' phone. I do have an iPad 3, bought for me by my son, which I have hardly used since I got it back in June. I don't want to hurt his feelings by selling it or it would be gone by now.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I wonder where these benchmarks were when the iPhone 4 was the supposedly king of the mobiles?
      They were there and if I remember correctly, the SII actually beat it.

Honestly, I don't really care, I have a Nokia 3200 which is great, when I want to phone someone I just key in the number and there I am, speaking to who I want.
      Nor do I really, I know what works for me but I do feel like I need to jump in occasionally when there is at least some real evidence about what things can actually do!

I must be one of the few who have no need or desire for a 'smart' phone. I do have an iPad 3, bought for me by my son, which I have hardly used since I got it back in June. I don't want to hurt his feelings by selling it or it would be gone by now.
      I'll give you 5 for it.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

There will always be arguments over who has the best device and which one does something better than the other.

For a long time I stuck with a simple phone as it could dial the numbers and I could speak to others. Reception was also good and so it wasn't an issue.

With the Nokia 5800 it was nice to be able to use some of the extra apps on it. Even though they were good, initially the Sat Nav was subscription based so I didn't use it until they made it free for everyone, it was limited and you could only download a limited number.

Modern smart phones are nice. They can host a great deal more applications, but each is locked to a particular service (Apple or Google or Microsoft), with a few exceptions.

Ultimately each will have a great app hear and there, whilst the other will have an equally good or perhaps a better app to do the same thing.

Personally I think that Apple charges too much for the product. I hate all the extra hype. If it were that good then you would not need to hype it up.

Credit where it is due though, Apple has been responsible for reshaping the devices that allow you to listen to your own music. They have also helped to push the other mobile phone companies to produce a better product.

Competition can be healthy. Market dominance is not.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Poppet25 (01-10-12)

Thanks

Going off at a complete tangent, my SII has recently been updated to "Ice Cream Sandwich With Chocolate Sauce" or something like that and battery performance has gone through the floor!

I can't even get a whole day out of a full charge any more unless I turn off everything that is actually useful.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

or something like that and battery performance has gone through the floor!
      Something else Samsung have copied Apple on then, cue the court case. pmsl
      stereohaven likes this.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

I bought myself a new large battery as the original wasn't lasting too well. There are a few to choose from on places like Amazon.

It can also be that certain apps are using the battery behind the scenes which doesn't help.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

I've found a good use for the iPad and iPhones.
      SatDish likes this.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast