Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Like Tree22Likes

New iPhone 5

This is a discussion on New iPhone 5 within the Everyday Life forums, part of the Community channel category; id be more than happy to try a s3 or maybe a windows phone 8 device mind...

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: John Lewis broadband
      Router: Nighthawk r7000
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

Re: New iPhone 5

id be more than happy to try a s3 or maybe a windows phone 8 device mind

2. Advertisement
      andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

New iPhone 5

I agree with stereohaven. It's not all about the hardware. Yes the S3 might be better spec'ed than the iPhone 5 but for me it's about usability. The 4s is perfect for me at this time.

I also prefer iOS over android, yes it's a bit limited but it does everything I need without being jail broken and is a very simple easy to use OS. Android admittedly does something's better and can be customised more but again it's down to personal preference.

As for cost regarding contracts and sim free it comes down to what you need and money upfront. iPhone's are expensive and 500 is a lot of money for something upfront. As I said earlier in the thread in my case it's cheaper to buy the phone and then get a rolling 30 day contract due to the fact I have a work phone and don't need loads of mins, texts etc. Others will be different and a 24 month contract will be a better deal.
      SatDish and stereohaven like this.
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > Ubiquiti UniFi | 58301/12298

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: John Lewis broadband
      Router: Nighthawk r7000
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

that maybe but the fact ios is locked down and restrictive is why people move away from ios because it lacks in customizability which is why allot choose android because they customize it to how they want also allot prefer to choose there own ringtones something ios has problems ie you cant use a 4 minute mp3 or something like that as a ring tone ios you can only do a 44 sec clip. plus the price tag for a apple is way higher than a s 3 because the s3 drops in price after a few months apples don't i have sites like Amazon and expansys and they charge roughly the same for months and months till a new iPhone is released.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

Perhaps I should say, in fairness, that there are some aspects of the Android system which I am not so keen on.

I hate Google Maps' navigation tool. When using it down in Devon last month we took a different route briefly and it couldn't get a data link and there for could not recalculate the route. Also the picture maps need that data link too. You also can't change the voice and the directions keep referring to road names that you can't read when driving around a roundabout. The Nokia Sat Nav was excellent.

I also hate the fact that I can no longer personalise the message tone. I so miss 'Message from the darkside' whenever I receive a text.

There are voice commands, but simply speaking someone's name followed by 'mobile' or 'home' was so much easier than 'dial scubbie home telephone' which isn't always recognised.

One aspect I really miss from my Nokia too is the headphone piece it came with. For those who don't know it was a two piece item. The 1st piece contained the controls and mic. This has a standard headphone socket, so you could plug any old pair of headphone in.

However, I do love the ability to record video on it whilst in the car (personal black box if someone does something silly in front of you). The photo apps are really nice too (I've uploaded some on this forum) and being able to use Dropbox, for example, to automate the system to transfer the pictures to my laptop really makes life a doddle on this side.

I have a lot more apps on my phone already, with plenty more room available too. At the moment it's around 130.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Absolutely agree about the personal preference bit, if the price was right and the phone did what i wanted then i would buy any make that fitted that criteria.
      "To help would be a great adventure"

Paul2003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leamington Spa
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

New iPhone 5

Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post
      that maybe but the fact ios is locked down and restrictive is why people move away from ios because it lacks in customizability which is why allot choose android because they customize it to how they want also allot prefer to choose there own ringtones something ios has problems ie you cant use a 4 minute mp3 or something like that as a ring tone ios you can only do a 44 sec clip. plus the price tag for a apple is way higher than a s 3 because the s3 drops in price after a few months apples don't i have sites like Amazon and expansys and they charge roughly the same for months and months till a new iPhone is released.
      Jailbreak it and you can do the above

Sent from my iPhone

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2003 View Post
      Jailbreak it and you can do the above

Sent from my iPhone
      Your just kidding, you didnt really understand any of that.
      SatDish likes this.

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

maybe so, but again its personal preference.

4 minute ringtone?!?! you must let your phone ring for a long time.
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > Ubiquiti UniFi | 58301/12298

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Well my iPhone 5 was pre-ordered from Apple at 08:03 this morning, went though first time with no issues

Just need a nanoSIM now from T-Mobile.

EE have also come out today and said that EE/T-Mobile/Orange iPhone customers will be getting visual voicemail from early next year too

Don't you get a free pair of jeans now with every Galaxy S3 phone, what with having to need bigger pockets to carry it round with (only joking)

SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I myself wont be get ten any apple device.
      how about one? you greedy wanting ten
      reddwarfcrew likes this.
      "To help would be a great adventure"

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast