Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Should News International drop its takeover bid of BSkyB?

Voters
    47. This poll is closed
    • Yes

35 74.47%
    • No

10 21.28%
    • Not sure

2 4.26%
    Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Like Tree12Likes

Phone Hacking & Sky

This is a discussion on Phone Hacking & Sky within the Everyday Life forums, part of the Community channel category; IMHO if it wasn't for Murdoch we wouldn't have had sat TV. BSB was a failed business model and effectively ...

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Phone Hacking & Sky

IMHO if it wasn't for Murdoch we wouldn't have had sat TV. BSB was a failed business model and effectively went bust...... no one else would have risked entering the market and cable would have been the focus.

In fact the same happened with cable with NTL buying all the small companies to which then became VM.

Without Sky, VM would not be anywhere near as advanced as it is and the cost would have been a lot more...... oh and how many of us wouldn't have had cabled streets.

Murdoch's desire to create a media empire in the UK is the only reason that the broadcast media has advanced as much as it has. It's clear that the next bg player (VM) have never had that same desire.

Without the Murdoch's, we wouldn't be anywhere near as advanced as we are.

Does that make recent events okay.... of course not, but we do need to remember that without the tenacious visionary skills of the like of these people the world would not advance as much as it has.

You have to experience the bad to benefit from the good.

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Just watching John Whittingdale MP in the Commoms. Worth getting a transcript..... I could have written his speach!!!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      ...Does that make recent events okay.... of course not, but we do need to remember that without the tenacious visionary skills of the like of these people the world would not advance as much as it has.

You have to experience the bad to benefit from the good.
      I've hinted at some stories covered by his newspapers in the past that caused a lot of problems for the people concerned. I can never believe that these stories were 'in the public's interest'.

They placed specific individuals at high risk from violence and no they were not breaking the law or anything close to it. The Police had to be involved in order to protect those affected.

In 2000 the NotW launched a campaign to name & shame Paedophiles. On several occasions they got it wrong and innocent people suffered. Also some photos looked similar to some innocent people who were then beaten up.

I am sorry, but this was not responsible journalism.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Not sure I understand your response?

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

We would have probably got Fibre sooner had he taken over..

Exchange:
      Thanks

I think that's partly my point. Murdoch has got to where he has and brought a lot of good by taking risks.

Unfortunately this type of person/company can all so easily cross the line and when they do (as is now) the book should rightly be throw at them.

However we would be a poorer place without the Murdoch's and we shouldn't forget that.

It's all about balance and when the balance tips too far one way.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I think you are wrong about Sky saving BSB, I am pretty sure it was the other way round. They were very close to bankruptcy and were only saved by the advertising revenue from British Satellite Broadcasting with whom they merged in a 50-50 basis. BSB's coffers had been nearly emptied by having to pay for putting up the satellites they used. The Murdoch conglomerate, used existing satellites, which BSB were not allowed to do. A certain 'Dragon' probably regrets to this day that he withdrew from BSB, if he had continued his support he would be a lot richer than he is today. In its day it was like the battle between Betamax and VHS, like Betamax the BSB system was superior to Sky's, but was expensive and complicated. I had BSB in the early days and also had a Betamax recorder, never seemed to make the right choice.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

So this morning the FBI has announced that it is looking into the accusations of hacking the 9/11 victims phones.

Now Rebekah Brooks has resigned.

BBC News - FBI to open 9/11 victims 'phone-hacking' investigation

Rebekah Brooks: News International Chief Executive Resigns Following Phone Hacking Scandal | UK News | Sky News

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

mcphailan. is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South Harrow
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

I wonder what 100% legit techniques the "quality" papers have been using to find out all the naughty stuff that NOTW have been doing ?

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I would think the quality papers have been employing ex NOTW journlists and then they tell their new bosses what they got up to in their old job.

Some of the NOTW people don't seem to think that this kind of activity is wrong anyways.

What has tipped this is not the power of parliment or the media but power shifting back into the hands of regular people via the internet.

Now your voice can be heard wether it be on Facebook, twitter or forums like this. The editor of the Times slammed Mumsnet for their involvement on Sky News and that is how little the media understands the new power emerging from the new media that is the internet.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast