Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Should News International drop its takeover bid of BSkyB?

Voters
    47. This poll is closed
    • Yes

35 74.47%
    • No

10 21.28%
    • Not sure

2 4.26%
    Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Like Tree12Likes

Phone Hacking & Sky

This is a discussion on Phone Hacking & Sky within the Everyday Life forums, part of the Community channel category; It's actually a particular branch of the Police who seem to be the main security personnel on the building. As ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: Phone Hacking & Sky

It's actually a particular branch of the Police who seem to be the main security personnel on the building.

As for the shaving foam, it should of had strawberry sauce mixed in, representing the blood on his hands.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      With regards to his excuse of not knowing what was happening, then I am sorry to say but the owner of any firm must know this. It shows that he has no control of his company and is not fit & proper to run it anymore.
      NOTW accounts for probably around 0.5% of the turnover of News Corp. I'm not sure it would be reasonable for Rupert Murdoch to know what was going on in any detail for such a small part of the business.

I can assure you that our CEO, or even director of the business unit wouldn't know detail at such a low level.

As for Rebecca Brooks and potentially James knowing, then that's a different matter.

PS - I'm not saying that he didn't know, just that I don't think that an owner would know everything that was going on at all their companies, specifically one that is so small in their portfolio.
      Last edited by reddwarfcrew; 20-07-11 at 04:38 PM.

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: Sky fibre 1
      Router: Sky sr203
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

sorry but i disagree with ya isitme sorry to say murdoch and his wife deserved it them two are probably as crooked as the rest of his employers. that may sound harsh but rupert brought this on himself he should of controled his employers better clearly he was hiring idiots behind the newspapers.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post
      as crooked as the rest of his employers.
      deadman1984, you realise that you have just made a claim that all of News Corp employees are crooked? Did you really mean that?

Ps - it's employees not employers

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I may be alone in this, but if I were the CEO of a company with nearly 60,000 employees, I doubt if I would be aware of what some people employed in a very small part of my organisation were doing. Its a bit like expecting Jeremy Darroch to know that a Sky help agent in some Asian country was mistreating customers. He would not know unless someone made him aware of it. I am afraid I am not a great believer in the man at the top being responsible for everything his employees do wrong.

I watched the whole presentation and what I got from it, was that a very old man, who was once the most powerful media man in the world, is now past it and should retire gracefully. His drive made Sky what it is today, but that drive has run out of steam.

The whole enquiry was a waste of time, both for the Murdochs and the Committee. In cases like this those who are expected to answer the questions should be given them in advance. CEOs have CFOs and CLOs who should know, or can find out the answers, to obscure questions such as how much a reporter can pay an informer and if it is legal to do so or if tax was paid on the payment. No CEO knows everything, that is why he has staff..
      reddwarfcrew likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: Sky fibre 1
      Router: Sky sr203
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

yea i do know what i mean they probably are all crooked why you think protesters want murdoch to break up his empire for

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      As for Rebecca Brooks and potentially James knowing, then that's a different matter.
      Whilst NotW was a small part of his company, such information as to the scope of telephone hacking and payments made in relation to all of this should have been passed all the way up the chain of command.

Since the activities were illegal, even if they were used for monitoring an MP known for his or her promiscuity, then someone should have resolved things properly when it was first found out.

What I find disturbing is that it came out in 2003 and 8 years later he still apparently has no idea what is happening lower down. I also find it disturbing that the hacking continued with those affected by the bombs in London on 7th July 2005.

Instead of coming clean and preventing any such recurrences, it was allowed to continue.

A good CEO would of instructed someone close to him, to go in and clean it up back in 2003. He's failed.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post
      yea i do know what i mean they probably are all crooked why you think protesters want murdoch to break up his empire for
      *shakes head* just shows the nature of the britsh public. So the receptionist at News Corp is crooked? So the person 16 year old that has just got their first job is crooked? I dunno hey.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      A good CEO would of instructed someone close to him, to go in and clean it up back in 2003. He's failed.
      I'm not defending him personally, but how do you know that he didn't do this and (for example) RB told him all had been sorted.

We need to be careful to pre-judge. Remember innocent until proven guilty is the corner stone of our country and if we move away from this then we risk our free state that we live in.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I watched the whole presentation and what I got from it, was that a very old man, who was once the most powerful media man in the world, is now past it and should retire gracefully. His drive made Sky what it is today, but that drive has run out of steam.
      I'm sorry, yes it was probably the longest he has appeared on British TV in a very long time, if ever, but I would also remind people that he claims to be a regular visitor to the Gym and likes to keep fit and healthy.

His frequent hitting on the desk shows me that he is someone who is used to having control of things and not someone whom would tolerate anyone telling him what to do.

I will have to agree that there are many companies, including Sky, that have made progress because of the finance and drive behind News Corp.

Yes I agree in that he should have retired.

I cannot agree about him not having any information about the scale of the phone hacking though.
      Last edited by Scubbie; 20-07-11 at 05:08 PM. Reason: correct a typo

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast