Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Wil you vote Yes or No in the referendum

Voters
    36. This poll is closed
    • I will vote No

18 50.00%
    • I will vote Yes

16 44.44%
    • I couldn't give a damn.

2 5.56%
    Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Yes or No

This is a discussion on Yes or No within the Everyday Life forums, part of the Community channel category; A big no here..there's enough loonies as it is. AV basically means even if a candidate or party gets the ...

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Yes or No

A big no here..there's enough loonies as it is.

AV basically means even if a candidate or party gets the most votes, there's a good chance they wont win, which completely defeats the whole object of voting for someone/a party in the first place.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      There's lots of help at their dedicated forum to answer any questions before you vote:

AVForums.com
      Cheers, just signed up and voted for some geezer called Pioneer. I remember they made good hifi systems so their MP's must be good as well.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by James_Mitchell View Post
      A big no here..there's enough loonies as it is.

AV basically means even if a candidate or party gets the most votes, there's a good chance they wont win, which completely defeats the whole object of voting for someone/a party in the first place.
      Yes, the main argument of the yesses is that some are getting into Parliament with only 30% of the vote. This system could put someone into Parliament with less than 10% of the first option votes. The only ones who will benefit are the non Labour or Tory parties as no Labour supporter is going to give their 2nd vote to a Tory and vice versa. Who is likely to get the second vote? Yes you guessed right, the LibDems, the main instigators of this system..

In my opinion, if this was adopted, we would forever be saddled by coalition governments

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Yes, the main argument of the yesses is that some are getting into Parliament with only 30% of the vote. This system could put someone into Parliament with less than 10% of the first option votes. The only ones who will benefit are the non Labour or Tory parties as no Labour supporter is going to give their 2nd vote to a Tory and vice versa. Who is likely to get the second vote? Yes you guessed right, the LibDems, the main instigators of this system..

In my opinion, if this was adopted, we would forever be saddled by coalition governments
      I think most of the yes and no campaigns' arguments are fatuous.

AV won't won't stop candidates with less than 50% of the vote getting elected, because a lot of people will still only vote for one candidate.

It should increase the vote for smaller parties, since a vote for them wont be wasted, as your second choice vote will count.

I think it will also make the order candidates are listed on the ballot paper quite important, because people voting for a change of government, rather than loyal to a particular party, may be liable to vote '1' for their preferred candidate, then number the rest in sequence down the list, skipping the party(ies) they want to keep out..

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I think it will also make the order candidates are listed on the ballot paper quite important
      I think they are listed alphabetically, so anyone calling themselves the Abbadabado party would probably get the top spot.

As it is the BNP will top most lists.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: John Lewis broadband
      Router: Nighthawk r7000
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

i will also be voting no im happy with our current voting system i will also be voting in the local elections to im not saying who im voting for but it will not be ****ing labour

stjimmy1980 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Herne Bay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post
      i will also be voting no im happy with our current voting system i will also be voting in the local elections to im not saying who im voting for but it will not be ****ing labour
      i didnt think you were old enough to vote lol :P
      Toshiba 40rv753, Sky HD Amstrad drx890, Onky Amp Hts 3305, Phat Sony Playstation 500gb.

Cnxtion Speed 19476 kbps 1023 kbps, Line Attenuation 13.5 dB 8.0 dB, Noise Margin 7.0 dB 8.0 dB Ping: 34 ms

Psn : stjimmy1980 Twitter : jimmyoxford

SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Or BNP lol.
      "To help would be a great adventure"

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

To be fair, whether anyone believes that the current system should be changed or not, too many people no longer have any respect for those whom wish to work as politicians.

I appreciate that a lot of people want to know how previous elections might have changed if AV has been available, but this is an unfair question. The data was not collected at the time, so no one can know.

A simple 'I'm voting for X party because I don't like Y party', could become 'I'm voting X party 1st, Z party 2nd, W party third, Y fourth, but I really detest S party, so they're 5th'.

Some partys will benefit from this system, for example the Greens & local independents, whilst others may well suffer if there are more people who don't like them. This is why the BNP in particular do not want AV.

Personally speaking, I have found that a politician is more likely to want to follow his/her party than consider the needs of the local residents.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Why is it for someone who's spelling is atrocious you can manage to spell swear words correctly ?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast