Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kids travelling on a bus in Warrington

This is a discussion on Kids travelling on a bus in Warrington within the Everyday Life forums, part of the Community channel category; Absolutely furming. I have just over heard my wife on the phone to Network Warrington, aka Warrington Borough Transport, asking ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Kids travelling on a bus in Warrington

Absolutely furming.

I have just over heard my wife on the phone to Network Warrington, aka Warrington Borough Transport, asking as to why the driver had charged my 11 year old daughter an adult fare on her way home from School tonight.

It transpires that my daughter asked for a single ticket to Newton Le Willows, so as she could then get a lift home from her mother. The driver told her she had to pay for an adult fare, in other words 2.40.

Once my wife put the phone down, I asked her what happened and she told me the above. I rang Network Warrington to ask them why and how on earth this had happened, and what would have happened had my daughter not had enough money to pay for the adult fare.

According to the guy I spoke to, "Network Warrington, have a policy of letting kids, travel on their buses, even if they don't have enough money to pay for the fare".

So why on earth did one of their drivers, demand that she had to pay full fare, and secondly, not even have the decency to actually ask my 11 year old daughter, how old she actually was? The world has gone absolutely crazy. I would have thought the fact that she was in school uniform, along with her other 11 year old friends, that that, was evidence enough.

Its not the money that has annoyed me, it was the potential fact that she could have spent any spare money she had at the tuckshop, or similar, and only having the correct fare of 1.15 (I think it is) left, as this is what she actually had in her hand whilst asking for the ticket.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 16-11-09 at 08:06 PM.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

2. Advertisement
      Ned Ludd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haxby
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet
      Router: TP-Link WR2543ND
      Sky TV: FreeSat
      Thanks

Re: Kids travelling on a bus in Warrington

According to the guy I spoke to, "Network Warrington, have a policy of letting kids, travel on their buses, even if they don't have enough money to pay for the fare".
      It would be 'interesting' if that policy could be tested with that same driver!
      Geoff, York.
      Can't call me a Luddite now!

Ste Cross is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01925
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I live in Warrington too!

I too don't understand why the driver wanted to charge her for a full fair, do you know if the driver was of English nationality? I have also seen some buses have a new computer touch screen ticket till thingy, perhaps the driver didn't know what they where doing

I'm glad she got home OK

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

On the buses round my way children have to prove their age when getting on by showing an ID card which they can only get if they are under a certain age thus problems like this don't happen I would have thought. The children know that if they don't have their ID card that they might get charged the full fare as it is quite impossible these days to be sure how old some of the taller kids are.

Glad your daughter is OK NewsreadeR, don't let this drop and if I was in your shoes I would demand that as their policy is to let them on, I would demand that they repay the money she was forced to pay.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ste Cross View Post
      I live in Warrington too!
      We actually live in St Helens, but my daughter goes to School in Warrington, as in our opinion its a far better school. When we went the other week, for an open day, I was absolutely gobsmacked. When I was at school we had none of what they have in the School, as in facilities etc

I too don't understand why the driver wanted to charge her for a full fair, do you know if the driver was of English nationality? I have also seen some buses have a new computer touch screen ticket till thingy, perhaps the driver didn't know what they where doing
      Its a puzzler, she had the correct fare in her hand, and had to route for more money upon the driver saying 2.40

As for nationality, I really don't think that is important. Every driver should be as equal and treat their customers in the same fair way.

I'm glad she got home OK
      Thanks, so am I and her mother.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 16-11-09 at 10:47 PM.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      On the buses round my way children have to prove their age when getting on by showing an ID card which they can only get if they are under a certain age thus problems like this don't happen I would have thought. The children know that if they don't have their ID card that they might get charged the full fare as it is quite impossible these days to be sure how old some of the taller kids are.
      Thats a fair comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      Glad your daughter is OK NewsreadeR, don't let this drop and if I was in your shoes I would demand that as their policy is to let them on, I would demand that they repay the money she was forced to pay.
      Thanks, we too are glad. I have already made a complaint with them, and to be fair, they have all agreed (those that I have spoken to) that they too would also have been annoyed and would be doing the exact same thing for their child.

They have already rang back and told me that they have spoken to the driver, and that he has no knowledge of the incident. Although I have since given them the driver number, the route number, and the ticket number, all off the said ticket, which proves it was the same driver that they have spoken to.

They are supposedly looking into it, and have now demanded the CCTV off the bus to try and ascertain the facts.

The more I try to get my head around the facts, the more it annoys me and I have even tried discussing the scenario with my wife.

What if the driver misunderstood single to N-L-W from a child with the exact bus fare in her hand as for a single ticket to N-L-W as in an adult asking.

In which case, the least the driver could have done, was to ask "How old are you?" As she looks like a typical 11 year old not an adult.

I have asked my daughter what happened and she has said the same consistantly, and even said that she had to then look for the extra money, upon being demanded, as imo, she just accepted it, as only being 11 does not have the confidence to argue or indeed assert her point of view. All she wanted to do was to get on the bus, and rendezvous with her mother, and not feel like she couldn't travel, if she didn't pay the full fare.

The biggest issue as I have already said, was what would have happened, if she had had, only the correct (or as she thought it was) fare. Would that driver have then let her travel?

If we get an apology I guess we would accept it, but I just feel and believe that kids are vulnerable enough and to be taken advantage of like this, is just plain wrong. Hopefully this will never ever happen again as a result, either to our children or anyone elses.

Thanks for the support and the replies. I was just so annoyed before.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 16-11-09 at 11:04 PM.

skypaulusplus Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

thats shocking, 2.40 for a ticket, i remember when it was 70p.
      anyway id want a full refund, now up here if you are at school you can get a bus pass which is like bus id, also our drivers give old people a ticket without looking at their passes.

from my experience of being on a bus once in the last...7 years and watching the busses while waitng , i can say that the drivers only ask the age if the child looks borderline, like 15/16(did with me) so in summary, what i rip off, he should be made to clean the bus, and to me 1.25 is alot of money, i would have said it dosent matter go and DRIVE off

LiamMc03 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kneller Hall
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

When I'm back home, which is rarely now, it costs 2 for a bus ticket. That's even if you're only going one or two stops.

London's now one pricey place to live in.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Some replies removed.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sorry Newsreader, hope I didn't offend Well you anyway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast