Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Gordon Brown put straight

This is a discussion on Gordon Brown put straight within the Everyday Life forums, part of the Community channel category; The trouble is that Brown has had a spending binge yet nothing to show for it. I have been seriously ...

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Gordon Brown put straight

The trouble is that Brown has had a spending binge yet nothing to show for it.

I have been seriously disabled for most of my life and under the "failed" tory health system, I got my appointments quickly, I was seen on time, I got free transport to the hospital, I could see my GP when I wanted and they were open evenings and weekends and I got continuity of care from my GP.

Now after over 100 Billion, my appointments are being constantly moved by several weeks at a time, if a clinic is 2 hours running late then your having a good day (I had a clinic that was 7 hours late), having to wait 3+ hours for a blood test, blood tests constantly lost, transport service removed, my GP is only open a few hours a day and they will only book appointments "up to 48 hours in advance" when they go try again the next day, hospital letters not sent, not read by GP.

All that for 100 Billion, to be honest I think the next electtion is going to be like 1997 with "NOT BROWN" as opposed to "NOT MAJOR"
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

2. Advertisement
      mikey4020 is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Halfway/WSHAL
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium (4th Aug)
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Elected ones are - I agree.

Who elected the current one? I never.
      I agree not everyone will think this way, but I didn't think we elected a prime minister in this country. Do we not elect an MP and hence a government? So of course you never elected him, his constituents did. To say he is unelected though is simply ridiculous.

If that's a reference to raising the level that Inheritance Tax kicks in, then you should be aware that 000's of people have acquired assets greater than 250,000 just through owning their own home. A home paid for with money that has already had income tax paid on it! Why should anyone, then have to pay tax again just for HMG to chuck it all away on some Public Spending binge?
      Well the limit is actually 312,000 and this rises up to a possible 624,000 for a spouse who inherits an estate from a partner. Whilst the home has been paid for with money which has been subject to income tax, the person inheriting said estate will in most circumstances not have paid any money towards the house. I consider it right that if you inherit 400,000 of your mother's house (Hypothetical Example) you should pay tax on the funds your raise should you sell it. I also doubt many "ordinary" people are sitting in a house worth 312,000!

Ned Ludd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haxby
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet
      Router: TP-Link WR2543ND
      Sky TV: FreeSat
      Thanks

Don't be so pompous man. Thousands upon thousands of folk are sat in a house that, together with savings, will put them over the threshold. And, I for one, don't want any government to squander what I've worked and saved for. I want it to go to my kids.
      As you live in Scotland, get your own goverment to do things the way you want them.

As for the PM, every one we've had recently was the elected leader of his/her party at election time. It'd be a naive person that didn't consider who would PM after an election. Why do you think Kinnock lost out?
      Geoff, York.
      Can't call me a Luddite now!

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikey4020 View Post
      I agree not everyone will think this way, but I didn't think we elected a prime minister in this country. Do we not elect an MP and hence a government? So of course you never elected him, his constituents did. To say he is unelected though is simply ridiculous.
      I did say that I don't do politics.

But, if there had been a choice to the electorate, as in when Tony Blair left, and Gordon Brown invited himself in, and as in, we voted for our local councillor, that in turn led to GB being in office, then you know as well as I do, the person at number 10 wouldn't be there now.

Point is - we never had the choice. The next General Election, will be awesome for us, and devastating for GB

I really cannot wait to watch the results, and all those blue results replacing the red ones. I am neither Labour or Conservative, Politics don't interest me whatsoever, I am happy if we are left alone to live our lives without constraints.

I just don't want the fools that are in now, to be so, any longer.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

sorry guys but tbh any politician or government is only as good as the people who vote them in and to blame one party seems to much like i never voted for them [think it was 65% at last election who voted labour ] however if the government ran a household like they run the country then we would be up the creek without a paddle within 2 weeks [and no one would give you 350 billion pounds to help out]
      why can't the gov spend money on simple things like local infra structure ,hospitals ,schools etc instead of flinging money at a banking structure that doesn't work [ffs last week the city was surprised that the inflation rate went up ,well if they had gone out and bought 2 pints of milk and a loaf of bread they might have noticed ] as a sitcomfrom the 70's once said POWER TO THE PEOPLE [citizen smith circa 1973]

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

I'm keeping out of political discussions coz as far as i'm concerned they all deserve a snapon logo

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

What we have to understand is Scotland have their own government and our own government conservative or labour the only other Scotsman that ran this country was King James the 1st of england and the 16th oh Scotland but at least he changed the then Bible from Latin to English or I think which I might be wrong to Gallic or Celtic ( I know I am not But there is always 1 who will disagree )so ever body who speaks the Queens English say no more so why did Gordon Brown not do the same in Scotland. The Scottish did not think he could do a GOOD job so I wish I lived in Scotland. but I love England which is and by the way they treat they of OAKProud People (if we ever get the chance
      to be proud again)We always in the case of Danger in defeat which was seldom. now we do not know what to do in case( fill in the last word or words
      yourself__________________________

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dtr44 View Post
      think it was 65% at last election who voted labour
      You mean 65% who didn't vote labour.

2005 results were:

Labour 35.3% of the votes and 55.2% (356) of the seats.
      Conservatives 32.3% of the votes and 30.7% (198) of the seats.
      Liberal Democrats 22.1% of the votes and 9.6% (62) of the seats.

So for Labour, 2 percentage points more votes translated to 158 more seats. Two thirds of the voting electorate didn't vote for them but they got well over half the seats and a massive majority in the house

Even if Labour gets a thrashing next time, the way our system is set up, they'll still have an unrepresentative number of seats.

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      I did say that I don't do politics.

But, if there had been a choice to the electorate, as in when Tony Blair left, and Gordon Brown invited himself in, and as in, we voted for our local councillor, that in turn led to GB being in office, then you know as well as I do, the person at number 10 wouldn't be there now.

Point is - we never had the choice. The next General Election, will be awesome for us, and devastating for GB

I really cannot wait to watch the results, and all those blue results replacing the red ones. I am neither Labour or Conservative, Politics don't interest me whatsoever, I am happy if we are left alone to live our lives without constraints.

I just don't want the fools that are in now, to be so, any longer.
      One of my friends works for ITN News, and because he's had to sit through every Labour, Tory and Lib/Dem/SDP conference that's been held for the last 12 or so years, he doesn't trust or like any of the politicians, and he doesn't vote for any of them.

However, what got him really excited and amused recently was when Joanna Lumley cornered Home Office minister Phil Woolas over the Ghurka issues. Apparently that meeting has caused the boys in the news reporting industry a lot of mirth and merryment !

SAJse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sefton Park
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I was keeping an eye on the BBC's interactive map all day yesterday and quite enjoyed myself as the Tory blue swarmed over it like barbarian hordes. No beer, popcorn or pizza this time. I'm saving myself for the big one.

Not that I'm a fan of the Conservatives, mind you. I think a vote for Labour, Conservatives or Lib Dem is completely wasted unless you're quite happy with the same old same old. They always get in though, based partly on the 'lesser evil' philosophy, so the only time I can claim any kind of victory is when the current crop of losers get kicked out, and I have zero sympathy for any of these resigning MP's. Infact, as far as politics goes, I haven't enjoyed myself like this in quite some time. Only the general election will top it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast