Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

iPlayer 'loophole' to close on 1 September

This is a discussion on iPlayer 'loophole' to close on 1 September within the Entertainment forums, part of the Community channel category; iPlayer 'loophole' to close on 1 September - BBC News People who watch BBC programmes only on iPlayer will be ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

iPlayer 'loophole' to close on 1 September

iPlayer 'loophole' to close on 1 September - BBC News

People who watch BBC programmes only on iPlayer will be required to buy a TV licence to view the content from 1 September.

Previously a licence was only needed to watch live broadcasts, so catch-up content was technically exempt from the 145.50 annual fee.

But due to a change in the law, a licence will be needed to download or watch BBC programmes on demand.

Those who already have a TV licence will not be affected.

The change comes after the government said it wanted to modernise the current system, so those watching catch-up TV do not get "a free ride".

'All who watch pay for it'

"When the licence fee was invented, video on demand did not exist," former Culture Secretary John Whittingdale said in March.

"The BBC works on the basis that all who watch it pay for it. Giving a free ride to those who enjoy Sherlock or Bake Off an hour, a day or a week after they are broadcast was never intended and is wrong."

The new rules apply to all devices used to access iPlayer - including laptops, smartphones, tablets, TV streaming devices and games consoles, as well as through third-party services such as Sky, Virgin or BT.

However, a TV licence will still not be needed for watching other on demand services, such as ITV Player, All4, My5 or Netflix.

TV Licensing said fewer than 2% of households would be affected by the change and would "not affect the huge majority of households which are already licensed".

It added all unlicensed households would be notified of the change in law and a publicity campaign to promote awareness will be carried out before 1 September.

TV Licensing is also pushing awareness for students, many of whom will be affected at the start of the new academic year.

2. Advertisement
      FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: iPlayer 'loophole' to close on 1 September

If I'm away from home I am covered by my TV licence to watch iPlayer on my laptop provided it's not plugged into the mains. If it's plugged into the mains, the place I'm at must have a TV licence to cover me? The thought police will now be checking my mains adapter plug.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: iPlayer 'loophole' to close on 1 September

Yes you should be covered. Technically so long as no one else is watching the TV at home, you'll be fine. Hopefully a TV License inspector isn't checking into the rom next to where you're staying and his colleague is checking your home address at the same time.

There are a lot of people out there who long ago dumped live TV for streaming content on-line, including BBC content.

Since until now we have only been required to have a TV license for viewing or recording content that has been transmitted live, they've been able to get away with it perfectly legally.

Of course this doesn't close the other loophole which a lot of people are able to get away with. It's still perfectly legal to watch our Freeview content when you're in Holland or Freesat content anywhere on mainland Europe without a TV License.

Of course I personally object to the fact that the BBC says that their content is free in the first place. Even more now that you're going to have to have a license for the BBC iPlayer from September.

BBC TV content is not free. You have to purchase a TV License.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms