Results 1 to 2 of 2
MTV 35 Years Old
This is a discussion on MTV 35 Years Old within the Entertainment forums, part of the Community channel category; Tomorrow, 1st August, marks 35 years since MTV was first aired. It has come a long way since it was ...
- 31-07-16, 02:04 PM #1
MTV 35 Years Old
Tomorrow, 1st August, marks 35 years since MTV was first aired.
It has come a long way since it was first on and famously showed Video Killed the Radio Star as the opening song...
I had made a note in my diary so that I could post something on the forums to mark this event. So here we are...
Since it was launched MTV has been an important player in the field of music on the small screen. It later expanded and commissioned shows that included Bevis and Butt-head, Jackass, The Hills and Geordie Shore.
In more recent years viewing figures have been in decline. This is probably due to on-line music videos being more freely available.
From tomorrow VH1 Classic has been renamed MTV Classic.
Apparently yo help celebrate events, the debut hour will see a replay of the first hour some 35 years ago. (Source: Did video kill the radio star? MTV celebrates 35 years of promoting new music and innovative programming - Daily Record )
I wasn't able to find the show in the listings. According to Wikipedia it first aired at 12.01am EST. That's 5.01pm BST.
Happy 35th Birthday MTV!
However I'm greatly disappointed in some news I saw from this weekend down in Plymouth. I guess if you want someone to poop all over your own birthday party, it had best be yourself...
Distressing video shows wheelchair user 'manhandled' by MTV Crashes security
Distressing video shows wheelchair user 'manhandled' by MTV Crashes security | Exeter Express and Echo
A video has emerged appearing to show a disabled woman physically removed from a spot in the crowd at MTV Crashes Plymouth.
Event organisers say security had no choice but to remove the woman for her own safety.
But wheelchair user Alana Roberts, who can be seen screaming in the video, says the incident has left her "upset, shocked and distressed".
Footage obtained by the Echo's sister title shows Alana being lifted away from the pit area on the Hoe on Thursday following a heated exchange with security staff.
Event organisers say wheelchair users are not allowed in front of the barrier for safety reasons, adding there were plenty of other vantage points available.
But Alana, from Prince Rock, who attended with her 14-year-old daughter Layla, said: "When I arrived I queued for hours because I had been told it was first come, first served for the disabled viewing platform.
"When we were finally allowed through they would not allow us on because it had to be pre-booked.
"I thought 'There's space at the front', so I went down there.
"One of the staff came over and said 'What are you doing here?' We said we'd been told not to go on the disability platform. What were we supposed to do?"
It is understood a lengthy dispute followed during which three wheelchair users were told to leave the area.
Alana said: "They sent in six heavy guys who started dragging me and making the other two disabled people leave as well.
"I said 'I'm not moving, I have paid for my ticket like everybody else.'
"They started grabbing my daughter, who is my carer, and pulling her away.
"She was trying to hold on to the wheelchair. She knows I am afraid to be left alone.
"They grabbed her and started dragging her through the crowd. She was shouting 'mum', trying to get hem off me.
"I was really upset at this point. I thought they were going to pull me out of my chair.
"I grabbed hold of one of their sweatshirts thinking I was going to fall out. It was unsafe, nobody should ever do that.
"They didn't care how dangerous it was. I was dragged like a common criminal, like a second-class citizen.
"I was upset, shocked and distressed."
Alana said she ended up right at the back of the crowd, but eventually got a spot on the viewing platform thanks to a passing first-aider.
Fellow wheelchair user Luke Thomas, from Bodmin, was also at the gig.
Luke's mum, Sarah Thomas said: "There were three people in wheelchairs at the front, they said they had nowhere else to go.
"They were told if they did not move they would be physically removed."
Mrs Thomas says Luke watched as Alana was lifted out of the pit area.
"My son was afraid they were going to do it to him," she said.
"His wheelchair is electric, he knew they would not be able to lift his chair, he was afraid they would lift him out of the chair.
"He took himself away and went round the back of the crowd.
"He was supposed to go back today but he is too scared."
Audience member Sue Burnett, who filmed the incident, said: "They were big blokes, they manhandled her. It was absolutely awful to watch.
"Nobody was doing anything wrong."
In a joint statement from Plymouth City Council and MTV, a spokeswoman said: "The safety of all our event-goers – including those with mobility problems – is our absolute priority at all times.
"There are several areas around the MTV Crashes site where wheelchair users can enjoy the show safely, including our accessible viewing platform and the spacious family/chill-out area next to it, which were both well-advertised in the lead-up to the event.
"The area immediately in front of the stage is not safe for wheelchair users as it can become densely crowded and the audience frequently surges forward.
"The presence of wheelchairs in this area is also a safety risk to other event goers.
"Last night our security staff became very concerned for the safety of a wheelchair user at the very front of the crowd, directly behind the barrier and asked her to move to the viewing platform for her own safety.
"They spent around two hours trying to explain the risks to the wheelchair user and offered her various alternatives but she refused to move, putting herself and others at risk and leaving us no option but to remove her from the area in front of the stage for her own and others' safety.
"Any complaints we receive about our disabled access arrangements and/or this incident will be fully investigated."
Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms
- 31-07-16, 04:41 PM #2
Re: MTV 35 Years Old
The Buggles video was the first video to air on MTV US in 1981.
It was only available to some homes in New Jersey at first.
MTV employees would insert vcr's for each video and the screen would go blank between each video.
MTV Europe started on 1st August 1987, the first showing was a live performance from Elton John in Amsterdam and first video was Money for Nothing by Dire Straits.
Its broadcast centre was Camden and became famous at that time for its European VJs. My favourite was Ray cokes and his show, that I appeared on
Available only on 'sky' in those early days in the UK, but MTV Germany was available from Astra FTA until 2011.
MTV UK & Ireland was launched on 1 July 1997 as part of MTV Networks Europe's rationalization strategy.
Last edited by lettice; 31-07-16 at 05:09 PM.