Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree4Likes
    • 2 Post By BurnIT
    • 2 Post By reddwarfcrew

Muhammad Ali: Boxing legend dies aged 74

This is a discussion on Muhammad Ali: Boxing legend dies aged 74 within the Entertainment forums, part of the Community channel category; Muhammad Ali: Boxing legend dies aged 74 - BBC News Muhammad Ali has died at the age of 74, a ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Muhammad Ali: Boxing legend dies aged 74

Muhammad Ali: Boxing legend dies aged 74 - BBC News
      Muhammad Ali has died at the age of 74, a family spokesman has said.

The former world heavyweight boxing champion, one of the world's best-known sportsmen, died at a hospital in the US city of Phoenix in Arizona state after being admitted on Thursday.

He was suffering from a respiratory illness, a condition that was complicated by Parkinson's disease.

The funeral will take place in Ali's hometown of Louisville, Kentucky, his family said in a statement.

Born Cassius Marcellus Clay, Ali shot to fame by winning light-heavyweight gold at the 1960 Rome Olympics.

Nicknamed "The Greatest", the American beat Sonny Liston in 1964 to win his first world title and became the first boxer to capture a world heavyweight title on three separate occasions.

He eventually retired in 1981, having won 56 of his 61 fights.

The former heavyweight champion was suffering from respiratory problems.

Crowned "Sportsman of the Century" by Sports Illustrated and "Sports Personality of the Century" by the BBC, Ali was noted for his pre- and post-fight talk and bold fight predictions just as much as his boxing skills inside the ring.

But he was also a civil rights campaigner and poet who transcended the bounds of sport, race and nationality.

Asked how he would like to be remembered, he once said: "As a man who never sold out his people. But if that's too much, then just a good boxer. I won't even mind if you don't mention how pretty I was."

Ali turned professional immediately after the Rome Olympics and rose through the heavyweight ranks, delighting crowds with his showboating, shuffling feet and lightning reflexes.

British champion Henry Cooper came close to stopping Clay, as he was still known, when they met in a non-title bout in London in 1963.

Cooper floored the American with a left hook, but Clay picked himself up off the canvas and won the fight in the next round when a severe cut around Cooper's left eye forced the Englishman to retire.

In February the following year, Clay stunned the boxing world by winning his first world heavyweight title at the age of 22.

He predicted he would beat Liston, who had never lost, but few believed he could do it.

Yet, after six stunning rounds, Liston quit on his stool, unable to cope with his brash, young opponent.

At the time of his first fight with Liston, Clay was already involved with the Nation of Islam, a religious movement whose stated goals were to improve the spiritual, mental, social, and economic condition of African Americans in the United States.

But in contrast to the inclusive approach favoured by civil rights leaders like Dr Martin Luther King, the Nation of Islam called for separate black development and was treated by suspicion by the American public.

Ali eventually converted to Islam, ditching what he perceived was his "slave name" and becoming Cassius X and then Muhammad Ali.

In 1967, Ali took the momentous decision of opposing the US war in Vietnam, a move that was widely criticised by his fellow Americans.

He refused to be drafted into the US military and was subsequently stripped of his world title and boxing licence. He would not fight again for nearly four years.

After his conviction for refusing the draft was overturned in 1971, Ali returned to the ring and fought in three of the most iconic contests in boxing history, helping restore his reputation with the public.

He was handed his first professional defeat by Joe Frazier in the "Fight of the Century" in New York on 8 March 1971, only to regain his title with an eighth-round knockout of George Foreman in the "Rumble in the Jungle" in Kinshasa, Zaire (now Democratic Republic of Congo) on 30 October 1974.

Ali fought Frazier for a third and final time in the Philippines on 1 October 1975, coming out on top in the "Thrilla in Manila" when Frazier failed to emerge for the 15th and final round.

Six defences of his title followed before Ali lost on points to Leon Spinks in February 1978, although he regained the world title by the end of the year, avenging his defeat at the hands of the 1976 Olympic light-heavyweight champion.

Ali's career ended with one-sided defeats by Larry Holmes in 1980 and Trevor Berbick in 1981, many thinking he should have retired long before.

He fought a total of 61 times as a professional, losing five times and winning 37 bouts by knockout.

Soon after retiring, rumours began to circulate about the state of Ali's health. His speech had become slurred, he shuffled and he was often drowsy.

Parkinson's Syndrome was eventually diagnosed but Ali continued to make public appearances, receiving warm welcomes wherever he travelled.

He lit the Olympic cauldron at the 1996 Games in Atlanta and carried the Olympic flag at the opening ceremony for the 2012 Games in London.

2. Advertisement
      lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Re: Muhammad Ali: Boxing legend dies aged 74

A true true Legend, 110% worthy of legend status.
      In my view made sport the great tv entertainment show it is today with being a great people's champion star and those great sporting worldwide tv events. So glad to have been a part of that by witnessing it at the time.
      I know like many of my friends, will treasure my Junior School late 60s/early 70s boxing gloves to my grave and will hand them on. They are sitting in my childhood memories box, just wonderful memories.

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. The hands can't hit what the eyes can't see.

Thanks

Through his great personality he helped push racism onto the political table. The effect wasn't just limited to America but many other countries too. His visit to Brixham was particularly welcome be those who lived there at the time.

He did well with his life. It could have so been very different too.

After his bicycle was stolen he wanted to 'wup' the thief. Instead the officer suggested he learn to box first. That's what he did, with the officer teaching him.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

BurnIT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01827
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

One quick shuffle too many?

I didn't watch boxing before him and I haven't since.
      He was by far the cleverest sportsman in my opinion.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Probably the greatest sportsman that ever lived, but I think the BBC News has gone way OTT. I have the News on all day as background noise and today the only news is Mohammed Ali has died. They went far too far on a day when much of Europe is threatened by the worst floods ever, not a single word. They showed repeat after repeat of the same interviews with the great man.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

That's the BBC for you!!
      jrfer and Scubbie like this.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Do agree the news coverage of these celebrity/sportsmen/politician etc. deaths is getting OTT these days.
      Never watch BBC News Myself.
      But Sky news, Sky sports News, CNN, Fox, France24, RT, Euronews, Al Jazerra, TVC and Arise, all had wall to wall coverage yesterday whenever I looked now and again throughout the day.
      Noticed its much the same still this morning.
      Even the two financial channels Bloomberg and CNBC had a lot of coverage I noticed yesterday evening.
      NHK and CCTV also had quite detailed coverage in their news bulletins I noticed yesterday evening.

For me the OTT coverage is just a switch off or over.

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

This is where 'red button' services should come into play. The wall to wall coverage (of repeated earlier interviews) should go on to red button and leave the mainstream channel to report the news.
      jrfer and Scubbie like this.

Thanks

Yes the BBC has for some time now literally acted as if the whole world has stopped rotating and concentrated on the one news story when a major event has happened.

Whilst I appreciate that such events are important to report, literally nothing but the one story with as many interviews of people whom we don't normally hear from being used repeatedly throughout the day, it gets a little too much.

Thankfully now we do have other channels to switch over to. Many don't mention the news at all.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

One of the reasons they do it is for a rest.
      Whilst they are concentrating on the one story they do not need to expend as much effort on finding new stuff to report.
      Don't get me wrong, I am not criticising - it must be very stressful working in the news rooms.