Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

Government could ban BBC from showing top shows at peak times

This is a discussion on Government could ban BBC from showing top shows at peak times within the Entertainment forums, part of the Community channel category; Government could ban BBC from showing top shows at peak times | Media | The Guardian Culture secretary could force ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Government could ban BBC from showing top shows at peak times

Government could ban BBC from showing top shows at peak times | Media | The Guardian
      Culture secretary could force broadcaster to avoid scheduling clashes with commercial rivals in charter renewal

The BBC is on a collision course with the government over reported efforts to bar it from showing popular shows at peak viewing times.

The culture secretary, John Whittingdale, is widely expected to ban the broadcaster from going head-to-head with commercial rivals as part of the BBC charter review.

He is due to publish a white paper within weeks that will set out a tougher regime as part of a new royal charter to safeguard the service for another 11 years.

ITV has complained about licence fee money being used to wage a ratings battle with it and other channels funded by advertising.

A source at the BBC said the public would be deeply concerned if it were forced to move programmes such as Strictly Come Dancing, Doctor Who and Sherlock from prime time weekend slots.

The Department for Culture, Media and Sport said no final decisions had been taken about the white paper, but a number of Sunday newspapers carried reports of an expected move to block competitive scheduling.

Commercial rivals would be further protected through restrictions on the BBC’s on-air advertising of its own programmes across its networks, it was reported.

The salaries of stars could also be published – in bands rather than actual sums – according to the Mail on Sunday.

Whittingdale has said the charter review is looking at whether the broadcaster should continue to be “all things to all people” or have a more “precisely targeted” mission in terms of output. He has previously expressed concerns about the BBC’s flagship news bulletin being broadcast at the same time as ITV’s.

The Mail on Sunday quoted a government source saying it would be “obvious when ITV had a flagship programme they were hoping to get high ratings for and where it would be unfair for the BBC to take it on head-to-head”.

A BBC source said: “The BBC doesn’t aggressively schedule, but we do show programmes at the times people want to watch them.

“Research has shown that an element of competition drives up quality across the industry and the public would be deeply concerned if the BBC’s ability to show programmes such as Strictly, Doctor Who, and Sherlock at the times convenient to them were taken away. It would be odd to make it harder for people to find and watch the programmes they have already paid for.”

An 11-year extension would please BBC bosses, who have argued strongly that renewal should be brought out of sync with the general election cycle to lessen political pressures.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: Government could ban BBC from showing top shows at peak times

The BBC's response:

Row over BBC scheduling 'meddling'

Row over BBC scheduling 'meddling' - BBC News
      Labour has accused Culture Secretary John Whittingdale of "meddling" after reports he will allow commercial broadcasters to challenge the BBC over peak-time scheduling.

Shadow culture secretary Maria Eagle called the rumoured plans "unacceptable interference".

A BBC source said it would be odd to make it harder for people to watch programmes they had paid for.

The government denied any intention to determine the scheduling of programmes.

Details are expected in this month's White Paper on BBC Charter renewal.

'External regulation'

A number of Sunday newspapers carry reports suggesting the BBC will be called upon to defend its scheduling where rivals are unfavourably impacted.

A government source told the Sunday Times the White Paper was intended to "set a broad set of principles and guidelines".

"How that is applied to individual programmes and scheduling is a matter for them. But they will be subject to external regulation."

It could see the BBC forced to move popular shows such as Strictly Come Dancing, or the recent BBC One hit The Night Manager, from peak-time slots on a Saturday or Sunday night - ending the traditional ratings wars.

In the past ITV has criticised the BBC for "aggressive scheduling" citing, among others, the conflict between The X Factor and Strictly Come Dancing.

Mr Whittingdale has previously expressed concerns about the BBC's flagship News at Ten bulletin being broadcast at the same time as ITV's.

Ms Eagle said: "John Whittingdale is behaving as if he were running the BBC - he is not.

"This kind of meddling in day-to-day scheduling decisions would be a completely unacceptable interference in the independence of the BBC.

"The public will wonder why the government is interfering with the BBC, and why they are trying to dictate when they can schedule hugely popular programmes like Strictly Come Dancing."

The Department for Culture, Media and Sport said no final decisions had been taken, but added: "The Secretary of State has made it clear on a number of occasions that the government cannot, and indeed should not, determine either the content or scheduling of programmes."

Media commentator Steve Hewlett said he thought there would be something in the charter "more general" about the BBC's approach to its impact.

"In other words, increasing the BBC's sensitivity to its impact on commercial competitors.

"Not just in TV and radio but also online and amongst the newspaper publishers.

"I'd be very, very surprised if there is a specific injunction not to schedule any particular programme anywhere because it's far too detailed, it's exactly what the government or the regulators shouldn't be doing."

The BBC source denied "aggressively scheduling" but added: "We do show programmes at the times people want to watch them".

"Research has shown that an element of competition drives up quality across the industry and the public would be deeply concerned if the BBC's ability to show programmes such as Strictly, Doctor Who, and Sherlock, at the times convenient to them were taken away.

"It would be odd to make it harder for people to find and watch the programmes they have already paid for."

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/enter...tml#post453633
      Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      The BBC
      Founded on great principles of fairness & independence. 'Funded by the people, for the people'.
      Trying to stay alive in an increasingly unfair country / world.

For those not happy to pay the licence fee for whatever reason, such as they don't use any BBC services - i honestly wouldn't worry about it.

Regardless of what the guff of these proposals & further PR smokescreens will no doubt suggest, one can't ignore the quite obvious underlying political agenda.
      Which is to slowly chip away at the organisation's ability to function, until finally one day it will appear to be an act of mercy to put it out of its misery.

The NHS
      See above.
      At the last general election, the people of this country were essentially faced with a choice of either selfishness or altruism & those that could be bothered to participate chose selfishness.
      Therefore we've only ourselves to blame as this situation continues to go as predicted.

For decades now people from all walks of life, rich or poor, have been able to see what many agree has been some of the best TV ever made anywhere in the world.
      Now the politicians 'representing us' want to put a stop to that.
      Voters made our bed & now we all have to lie in it.
      Last edited by gymno; 01-05-16 at 08:46 PM.

Thanks

I'm sure that some may agree with you, but I don't recall anything about the BBC not being allowed to remain competitive in the last general election.

Sadly the current PM is, IMHO, one of the most deceitful people alive. That is my personal opinion though.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I'm sure that some may agree with you, but I don't recall anything about the BBC not being allowed to remain competitive in the last general election.

Sadly the current PM is, IMHO, one of the most deceitful people alive. That is my personal opinion though.
      Are you for real?
      If they could switch off the BBC without any backlash they'd do it tomorrow.

FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

those that could be bothered to participate chose selfishness
      I do remember voting to prevent a bunch of economic illiterates from taking as much of my money as they could and wasting it on grand schemes of no value whatsoever. If that is selfishness, then I plead guilty.
      LeeH1978 likes this.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by FelixTCat View Post
      I do remember voting to prevent a bunch of economic illiterates from taking as much of my money as they could and wasting it on grand schemes of no value whatsoever. If that is selfishness, then I plead guilty.
      Hey, i've no urge to escalate this thread in that direction.

What's forever on my mind though are the actual consequences...
      Such as the BBC's demise.

Personally i would never dream of mentioning such things as the suicide rate of benefit claimants suddenly being classed as fit for work.

vfx
      vfx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub 2 SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD x4 MS
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I think they all are given the chance to exert that abuse of power.
      speedyrite and Robbiebilliams like this.

FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

What's forever on my mind though are the actual consequences...
      Such as the BBC's demise.
      Bring it on. I'm tired of paying elevated salaries to BBC luvvies so that I can watch all the other channels for free.

Personally i would never dream of mentioning such things as the suicide rate of benefit claimants suddenly being classed as fit for work.
      Go ahead. Let's have some real statistics (if there is such a thing) instead of unsupported allegations.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Could not care less if the BBC goes into a meltdown or not, its had it time and times have changed too. Its had its gravy train run and that should now end.

As for the BBC and appearing in any kind of election mainfesto, has no bearing whatsoever for me and have seen nothing about the BBC in anything at any election time and to be honest if there were it would not really jump out or make any impact on my vote.
      Well maybe a pledge to scrap its current state and make it much more commercial.

As for prime time clashes (sounds more like the daily mail and guardian anti-bbc agenda exaggeration), cant say we ever watch anything prime time at weekends on BBC, that I can recall. We certainly never watched or listened to anything on the BBC over this weekend.
      Our BBC viewing has declined dramatically over the last few years;
      During the week it gets down to Pointless, Eggheads, Uni challenge, Connect and Beechgrove. I will give the beeb their due, their quiz shows are good and we do not watch any quiz shows on any other channels.
      Sometimes the odd drama, not that I can recall one recently that we have watched.
      Used to watch Eastenders regularly, but this year its turned for the worse with poor plots and characters and we have now ditched it.
      Only other prog I would watch is Doctor Who, but as I recall mentioning on here before, the last few series with Peter Capaldi have been poor.
      Of course, it would be the Olympics, Wimbledon and international football, only because that is the only channels its on.
      Not watched BBC News for a long time, its sky, bloomberg, cnn, fox and a few of the other foreign news channels. Sky in my view do much better news event coverage, like royal pagentry and elections.
      Do not listen to any BBC radio, Talksport does a great job for us, mostly sport, but shows like 'The Two Mikes' are just superb.
      Last edited by lettice; 02-05-16 at 09:34 AM.
      Robbiebilliams likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast