Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

BBC considers using veteran stars to front over-75s licence fee campaign

This is a discussion on BBC considers using veteran stars to front over-75s licence fee campaign within the Entertainment forums, part of the Community channel category; BBC considers using veteran stars to front over-75s licence fee campaign | Media | The Guardian Dame Helen Mirren and ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

BBC considers using veteran stars to front over-75s licence fee campaign | Media | The Guardian
      Dame Helen Mirren and Sir Terry Wogan could be among names drafted in as corporation battles to offset £700m cost of deal imposed by the government

The BBC is considering signing up stars such as Dame Helen Mirren, Sir Terry Wogan and Sir Michael Parkinson and to persuade TV viewers aged over 75 to give up their free TV licences.

It is exploring ways to encourage elderly viewers and listeners to consider paying the annual £145.50 charge on a voluntary basis.

In July, the BBC struck a deal with the government to shoulder the costs of providing free TV licences to the over-75s which will cost it more than £700m from 2020, almost a fifth of the corporation’s current income.

The corporation is now loooking to draft in big name stars, such as Lord Bragg, Mirren, Wogan and Parkinson, although none have yet been signed up.

In December, the BBC hired Frontier Economics, a consultancy firm chaired by the former cabinet secretary Lord O’Donnell, to advise the corporation on “the best approach to asking people for contributions”.

A report on ways to appeal for voluntary contributions is due to be published later this year, which means a campaign is not likely to run until 2017.

“If the BBC were to run a campaign then why wouldn’t they use the people who are most associated with that age group and are loved by the public?” said one source.

Frontier Economics will also investigate how to potentially reduce the £700m-plus annual cost to the BBC.

Options toreform the deal could be to remove free licences from over-75s who live in a house with younger people, or to raise the age at which the free deal kicks in.

“The BBC has asked independent experts to advise on how to go about attracting voluntary contributions from over 75s when the government reduces its support,” said a BBC spokesman. “The work will include analysis and interviewing a range of stakeholders. It will look at options for receiving payments and explore best practice in other organisations. The BBC will then look at the best way forward including whether to run a campaign.”

Veteran broadcasters turned Labour politicians Joan Bakewell and Austin Mitchell have backed the idea.

In an article for the Radio Times Bakewell said older viewers and listeners who can afford it should write to TV Licensing, the body which collects the annual charge – currently £145.50 – and ask to start paying it again.

She wrote: “So what can we over-75s do? The BBC says it will introduce a scheme for those who want to opt back in to paying the licence fee. But that will take time.

“Right now I’m told the best plan is to get in touch with TV Licensing, who collect the fee, and tell them you want to start paying again. If you love the BBC, and if you can afford £2.80 a week, what are you waiting for?”

Mitchell, who stood down as an MP at the last election, tweeted support for the idea as long the money went directly into funding programmes.
      Comment: For those of you who are interested, a copy of the tweet appears in the above article (click link above). It also includes Austin Mitchell's current location. Christchurch. New Zealand.

Perhaps someone could ask how he is able to view BBC1 live whilst he is there?

As for conning those who are over 75 in to paying the TV License Fee, I feel that this is a despicable. It shows just how much contempt the people who run the BBC have for the viewers.

2. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Fab Fibre (Sky network)
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: BBC considers using veteran stars to front over-75s licence fee campaign

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      As for conning those who are over 75 in to paying the TV License Fee, I feel that this is a despicable. It shows just how much contempt the people who run the BBC have for the viewers.
      I don't think it's so much that the people who run the BBC have contempt for the viewers!

Blame the current government who have shifted responsibility for shouldering the annual cost of the TV License fee for over 75s (£650 million) onto the BBC. Government saves £650 million of outgoing. Joy for them but misery for BBC.

Effectively that's a £650 million per annum budget cut for the BBC.

I suppose this is one possible way to generate some revenue to cover that shortfall.

Other options presumably include cutting back on services (and jobs), charging a subscription for access to iPlayer, charging a subscription for broadcast services etc.

The current government won't be happy until they have destroyed the BBC and, of course, have got us all under mass surveillance!

We'll miss it when it's gone...
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Virgin. Over 500mb.
      Router: Asus 3200
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

So they plan to get so called celebs who have loads of money to ask ordinary pensioners over 75 to voluntarily pay for a TV licence.
      How bloody patronising.

Perhaps these so called celebs could band together and fund the licences for them.
      Annie UK likes this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dog-man For This Useful Post:

sdd (26-01-16)

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 21.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Although I am strongly in favour of a public broadcaster such as the BBC, I think the time has come to accept that the current method of paying for it is not sustainable, therefore it has to be either allowing advertising, subscription, or a combination of both.

Perhaps for the over 75's a reduced rate rather than the full licence fee; I suspect they rarely listen to Radio 1 or watch BBC 3 but I could be wrong.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Annie UK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWFEL
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: TP-Link Archer C7
      Thanks

Scrap the license fee altogether and start playing ads, all other channels have adverts, I'll just use the same technique I do for them, Sky+ and fast forward.
      Annie 🦋..........
      My Sky+HD FAQ
      (now with more questions)
      My Sky hardware and setup

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Ok with Sky it doesn't matter whether you are 18 and just setting up your first home or 85 and claiming the state pension, if you would like to watch the content they offer then you will have to pay for it.

Sure some people can get discounts, whilst most others have to pay the full subscription, but you have a choice.

If you don't like it or you wish to reduce your outgoings, you can either reduce your subscription or cancel it.

With the TV License you just don't have the same flexibility.

It does not matter whether or not you watch the BBC channels, or perhaps just the one. If your TV or a STB can receive live content broadcast via a terrestrial aerial or from a satellite (doesn't even have to be the Astra group that Freesat & Sky share), you have to pay for a TV License.

The only current exception being those who are over 75. They can apply for a free TV License.

There are a growing number of people who are streaming their content via the Internet using services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime. Unless their TV is connected to an aerial or dish, then they no longer have to pay the TV License fee.

The BBC should now move to a subscription based market.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Annie UK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWFEL
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: TP-Link Archer C7
      Thanks

I bet if they moved to subscription they would have the cheek to charge £15 or more per month. I'm not sure how the Beeb would be able to stop non-subscribers from watching their content on the multitude of devices out there.
      Annie 🦋..........
      My Sky+HD FAQ
      (now with more questions)
      My Sky hardware and setup

sdd
      sdd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01268
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      I don't think it's so much that the people who run the BBC have contempt for the viewers!

Blame the current government who have shifted responsibility for shouldering the annual cost of the TV License fee for over 75s (£650 million) onto the BBC. Government saves £650 million of outgoing. Joy for them but misery for BBC.

Effectively that's a £650 million per annum budget cut for the BBC.

I suppose this is one possible way to generate some revenue to cover that shortfall.

Other options presumably include cutting back on services (and jobs), charging a subscription for access to iPlayer, charging a subscription for broadcast services etc.

The current government won't be happy until they have destroyed the BBC and, of course, have got us all under mass surveillance!

We'll miss it when it's gone...
      The best way would be to sell it or put it in a package with sky the BBC have got away with spending huge amounts of money for years paying for first class hotels and dinning out on licence paying money
      now its coming back to bit them i would say good riddance to the BBC they are only going to keep ripping the general pubic off even more.
      The governing body should give the pubic a vote whether to sell it off or keep it.

Nobody is Perfect.....I am Nobody....Therefore I am Perfect

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT-Fibre-900
      Router: opnSense-I78550-Fanless
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Screw 'em! So the Beeb dies, so what? Anyone who makes good programming will just work elsewhere. Their news services are so biased, even Al Jazeera is a better source of news.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 21.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Almost everyone says the BBC news service is biased, no matter on which side of the political fence they sit.
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast