Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree5Likes

BBC considers using veteran stars to front over-75s licence fee campaign

This is a discussion on BBC considers using veteran stars to front over-75s licence fee campaign within the Entertainment forums, part of the Community channel category; Scrap the license fee and use programme sponsorshop and ads. Lately with everything you hear and see with the beeb, ...

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Re: BBC considers using veteran stars to front over-75s licence fee campaign

Scrap the license fee and use programme sponsorshop and ads.
      Lately with everything you hear and see with the beeb, their gravy train times are over and for me tv/radio is better served elsewhere.
      Really want to have the choice now if I want to watch it or not, ads will do that so easily.
      For me the need for a PSB in our world today is over too.

Quote Originally Posted by coipu View Post
      Screw 'em! So the Beeb dies, so what? Anyone who makes good programming will just work elsewhere. Their news services are so biased, even Al Jazeera is a better source of news.
      Many journalists are self employed these days anyway and work for many different channels.
      Heard that a lot of the BBC F1 staff have moved over to C4, not much loyalty there.

2. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Fab Fibre (Sky network)
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

To round off this topical discussion of views on the merits and demerits of the BBC, I remembered this little item from 1980:

Annie UK and Scubbie like this.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Annie UK View Post
      I bet if they moved to subscription they would have the cheek to charge 15 or more per month.
      Well they're charging me 12.125 per month for it now - it's called the TV Licence fee!

I'm not sure how the Beeb would be able to stop non-subscribers from watching their content on the multitude of devices out there.
      I've no doubt they would find a way. I see that the latest version of the iPlayer app now supports BBC Store using the BBC ID as the userid, so I wouldn't be surprised to find that they've already built in a mechanism to also use that (perhaps) as a userid to access subscription services (in the same way as it can currently be used to store favourites and sync them between device and computer).

Thanks
      Blog Entries

For what my opinion is worth (which is nothing!), I think it's inevitable that the TV License fee will eventually be scrapped sometime in the next 5 to 10 years and that the BBC will become subscription service - to which many fewer people will be prepared to subscribe than the BBC (or government or whoever) may currently think. Consequently, the BBC will become a very different and very much smaller organisation. Something like what PBS is in the USA. A small island that few people know of, care about or will visit/use. It will then struggle to survive in a world that will be dominated by a handful of global media mega corporations.

Annie UK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWFEL
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: TP-Link Archer C7
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

That's what I'm hinting at they would take advantage an increase the amount they collect from each household per month

I'm not sure how they would use the BBC ID on our Freeview TVs though.
      Annie 🦋..........
      My Sky+HD FAQ
      (now with more questions)
      My Sky hardware and setup

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 21.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      Something like what PBS is in the USA. A small island that few people know of, care about or will visit/use. It will then struggle to survive in a world that will be dominated by a handful of global media mega corporations.
      PBS has some really excellent documentaries, I probably watch more PBS than C4 or BBC 2 come to that.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 21.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

A little bit of putty to put figures to the argument.

https://ukfree.tv/article/1107052166...ng_about_payin

And for comparison I though this was quite interesting, if a little out of date...

https://ukfree.tv/article/1107052165..._on_programmes
      speedyrite likes this.
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

That's what I'm hinting at they would take advantage an increase the amount they collect from each household per month
      Yes I suppose so!

I'm not sure how they would use the BBC ID on our Freeview TVs though.
      Yes I had the same thought, but I think if it was to go wholly subscription then maybe they would just stop broadcasting over the air and go OTT. A bit radical but it would do the job.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Whilst it looks bad from Sky's perspective that they don't, sorry didn't, spend as much on programming as the BBC, it is worth pointing to a couple of significant differences.

Sky is a private company which has share holders. Consider those share holders as people who have a vested financial interest in the company and whom have lent money to Sky in order for it to operate. Additional funds are raised through subscriptions, advertising, selling rights to access to the EPG and selling rights to content they create. Each year the share holders get compensated in a form of interest payment on that loan by way of a dividend. Sky are able to sell any content that they make and plough the profits from the sale of such items into the business in any manner they wish.

The BBC is a corporation. It does not have share holders. It reports to the government of the day. As all its money is raised through an act of parliament that forces anyone living in the UK who can receive live pictures. Additional money is raised through the selling of rights to content that they make. All the money raised has to be spent on the business. As there are no share holders to pay they are in effect a not-for-profit business.

If the BBC were to start a subscription service then most TVs, Freeview and Freesat STBs already have a interface that is capable of supporting a viewing card.

A potential area that would upset people is how you would be expected to pay. By this I don't mean by direct devit, but by which service.

As an example my own setup at home looks like this:

• Lounge: TV with both Freeview and Freesat built-in. It's also connected to a Sky+ HD STB.
      • Bedroom: TV with Freeview built-in. It too has a Sky+ HD STB.
      • Digital TV Tuner for a PC.

A single TV license allows all of this to be legal, although in the past they have restricted the number of devices from time to time. Did you realise that at one time if you had 2 TVs with a VCR attached to one and a Sky STB attached to both TVs you should have been paying more? This isn't currently the case, but it was at one point.

Now whilst I'm currently paying Sky a monthly subscription, would that subscription be increased to allow me to watch the BBC channels?

Would I have to pay extra in order to watch Freeview on both my TVs? what about Freesat? Would this require a further fee? Technically since it's built into the main TV, then I should be able to use the single viewing card.

The TV tuner doesn't have a slot for a viewing card but I'm sure that these are available.

Currently I can simply switch from one source to another. Each TV could be on a different channel and the TV tuner could be on yet another. Of course we already have become used to not being able to watch Sky freely on each TV unless we take additional steps. This could become the case for a subscription service from the BBC too.
      Annie UK likes this.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12