Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.


    Advertisement

    Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Results 21 to 30 of 51
    Like Tree7Likes

    TV Offerings : Festive Period

    This is a discussion on TV Offerings : Festive Period within the Entertainment forums, part of the Community channel category; I hate those shows, but they make money. I am not suggesting they only make shows I like. Funny how ...

    1. #21
      coipu's Avatar
      coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT-Fibre-900
      Router: opnSense-I78550-Fanless
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Join Date
      Dec 2012
      Location
      Wherever I lay my VPN
      Posts
      590
      Thanks
      38
      Thanked 44 Times in 39 Posts

      Re: TV Offerings : Festive Period

      I hate those shows, but they make money. I am not suggesting they only make shows I like. Funny how none of the big audience shows are behind a paywall though. If Sky/Virgin started losing hundreds of subscriptions a week their services would transform very fast. Corporations only speak money.

      Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk


    2. Advertisement
    3. #22
      marjohn56's Avatar
      marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 21.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Join Date
      Dec 2011
      Posts
      1,811
      Thanks
      13
      Thanked 144 Times in 135 Posts

      Re: TV Offerings : Festive Period

      Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Yet Big Brother, I'm a Celebrity, X-Factor, Strictly and The Voice seem to draw in millions of viewers every time.
      Which in itself is food for thought... We don't watch any of those, but it would be a very boring world if we all liked the same thing.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
      --------------------------------------------------------

    4. #23
      marjohn56's Avatar
      marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 21.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Join Date
      Dec 2011
      Posts
      1,811
      Thanks
      13
      Thanked 144 Times in 135 Posts

      Re: TV Offerings : Festive Period

      Have you ever noticed, the older you get the more repeats there are... strange that.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
      --------------------------------------------------------

    5. #24
      wizard200's Avatar
      wizard200 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gatwick
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max + Sky Talk
      Router: SkyQ Hub SR203UK + SkyQ Booster EE120
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2Tb + mini
      Join Date
      Sep 2013
      Location
      west sussex
      Posts
      269
      Thanks
      18
      Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts

      Re: TV Offerings : Festive Period

      Hello All
      I have to agree that the BBC has & continues to make many political mistakes but then so
      have many other broadcasters including Sky. The BBC does have some excellent content
      without doubt : But I agree with scubbie that it is poorly run with far to many high paid
      So called Managers but I am unsure how you would fund the BBC without some form of
      licence Fee : How would you fund the Radio Service both National & Local which with the
      World service is First Class . I believe it was the wrong decision to pass the free Licence
      fee over to the BBC to fund : If this is a benefit it should be paid for through taxes the
      same as all other benefits & should be based on need not age related.
      As for SkyQ I cannot see Mr Darroch allowing any aspect of that service to be Free as
      his Mission will be to screw every Penny he can get out of the Customer Base.
      Based on the current payment format I believe that this service may well be taken by
      only maybe 25% of the customer base as many households will not be able to fund the
      extra cost : Although there maybe some early special deals on offer........

      They will have to offer something to offset VM & BT who will no doubt be waiting in the
      wings with ideas of there own.
      As for the Wizard Household We have no children at home now ( although they return to
      borrow something & eat every week.!!) So the need to have multiple viewing options are
      not really required .
      Just a thought.........
      . Plus Its Still 'Bloody Raining'....!!!
      marjohn56 likes this.

    6. #25
      lettice's Avatar
      lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Join Date
      Jun 2011
      Location
      England
      Posts
      2,038
      Thanks
      12
      Thanked 191 Times in 182 Posts

      Re: TV Offerings : Festive Period

      Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Yet Big Brother, I'm a Celebrity, X-Factor, Strictly and The Voice seem to draw in millions of viewers every time.
      Do wonder often who those millons are.
      No one in our family or friend circle watches any of those.
      Except I think some of the older women watch the strictly balroom show.

      Quote Originally Posted by marjohn56 View Post
      Elvis, Rod Stewart and the Beatles in the official Album top 20...
      Hmmm.. Repeats there too it seems.
      All the beatles albums having appeared on spotify over the christmas period probably helped a bit there! Nice though all the same.

    7. #26
      marjohn56's Avatar
      marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 21.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Join Date
      Dec 2011
      Posts
      1,811
      Thanks
      13
      Thanked 144 Times in 135 Posts

      Re: TV Offerings : Festive Period

      Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      Do wonder often who those millons are.
      No one in our family or friend circle watches any of those.
      Not that they will admit to anyway.

      Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      Except I think some of the older wimen watch the strictly balroom show.
      My mum, now shuffled off this mortal coil used to watch them without fail ( Dad used to fall asleep ) except for Big Brother, and why not. The BBC has a remit to entertain all age groups, Sky not so.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
      --------------------------------------------------------

    8. #27
      lettice's Avatar
      lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Join Date
      Jun 2011
      Location
      England
      Posts
      2,038
      Thanks
      12
      Thanked 191 Times in 182 Posts

      Re: TV Offerings : Festive Period

      Quote Originally Posted by coipu View Post
      I hate those shows, but they make money. I am not suggesting they only make shows I like. Funny how none of the big audience shows are behind a paywall though. If Sky/Virgin started losing hundreds of subscriptions a week their services would transform very fast. Corporations only speak money.

      Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
      True and why the broadband, phone and mobile is also playing a big part.
      Do wonder if in ten years, we will be buying our gas and elec from sky and BT as part of a tv deal.
      Or even some sort of home automation services too.

    9. #28
      wizard200's Avatar
      wizard200 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gatwick
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max + Sky Talk
      Router: SkyQ Hub SR203UK + SkyQ Booster EE120
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2Tb + mini
      Join Date
      Sep 2013
      Location
      west sussex
      Posts
      269
      Thanks
      18
      Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts

      Re: TV Offerings : Festive Period

      Hello All
      If I remember early last year there was some talk about Sky & a mobile service (quad being
      the flavour of the day) but that seems to have dropped of the menu at present with SkyQ
      being Front Page news.
      All of the Large Multinationals want to be 'All Things to All People' to Maximize their income
      and grab the Largest Slice of the Pie....!!!!
      However History shows that this approach is seldom good for the 'Customer' as you would
      end up Paying More for the same or Less in the Long Run.

      Just a Thought.............



    10. #29
      marjohn56's Avatar
      marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 21.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Join Date
      Dec 2011
      Posts
      1,811
      Thanks
      13
      Thanked 144 Times in 135 Posts

      Re: TV Offerings : Festive Period

      Whilst there is some merit in having SkyQ just for the fact of having HD on the bedroom TV, Sky will most likely not be getting an order from me. I doubt there will be extra content only available with SkyQ so apart from the HD aspect there is no real benefit.

      Other toys are more important at present, we both want replace our DSLR's before we go on our travels this year, and they will not come cheap.... Maybe Sky could give away some nice ones as incentives.
      Scubbie and wizard200 like this.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
      --------------------------------------------------------

    11. #30
      Scubbie's Avatar
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Near Portsmouth
      Posts
      28,249
      Thanks
      848
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

      Re: TV Offerings : Festive Period

      Quote Originally Posted by coipu View Post
      I hate those shows, but they make money. I am not suggesting they only make shows I like. Funny how none of the big audience shows are behind a paywall though. If Sky/Virgin started losing hundreds of subscriptions a week their services would transform very fast. Corporations only speak money.

      Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
      Game of Thrones.

      It is only available to watch on a Sky platform (i.e. Sky+ HD, NowTV) and not through Virgin as it is on the Sky Atlantic channel.

      It was also kept on a limited channel in the US.

      As a direct result of its popularity it has become the most pirated series to date.

      Quote Originally Posted by wizard200 View Post
      Hello All
      I have to agree that the BBC has & continues to make many political mistakes but then so
      have many other broadcasters including Sky. The BBC does have some excellent content
      without doubt : But I agree with scubbie that it is poorly run with far to many high paid
      So called Managers but I am unsure how you would fund the BBC without some form of
      licence Fee : How would you fund the Radio Service both National & Local which with the
      World service is First Class . I believe it was the wrong decision to pass the free Licence
      fee over to the BBC to fund : If this is a benefit it should be paid for through taxes the
      same as all other benefits & should be based on need not age related.
      As for SkyQ I cannot see Mr Darroch allowing any aspect of that service to be Free as
      his Mission will be to screw every Penny he can get out of the Customer Base.
      Based on the current payment format I believe that this service may well be taken by
      only maybe 25% of the customer base as many households will not be able to fund the
      extra cost : Although there maybe some early special deals on offer........

      They will have to offer something to offset VM & BT who will no doubt be waiting in the
      wings with ideas of there own.
      As for the Wizard Household We have no children at home now ( although they return to
      borrow something & eat every week.!!) So the need to have multiple viewing options are
      not really required .
      Just a thought.........
      . Plus Its Still 'Bloody Raining'....!!!
      Whilst I won't agree that Mr Darroch is solely responsible for Sky's pricing, there is a very important difference between Sky and the BBC.

      If you decide not to pay your TV License you get a letter from the Courts after much wrangling.

      For many years the Independent radio stations have complained that they need to have advertising to make ends meet, yet the BBC Radio services are paid for via the TV License fee. Having said that, they also go one to say that their advertising is more successful.

      As for the rain... yep, non-stop today.

      Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      All the beatles albums having appeared on spotify over the christmas period probably helped a bit there! Nice though all the same.
      There was a time that no radio station was playing any Beatles tracks. Something to do with MJ owning all the rights and the didn't want to fund his argument that he wasn't a Paedophile.

      Quote Originally Posted by wizard200 View Post
      Hello All
      If I remember early last year there was some talk about Sky & a mobile service (quad being
      the flavour of the day) but that seems to have dropped of the menu at present with SkyQ
      being Front Page news.
      All of the Large Multinationals want to be 'All Things to All People' to Maximize their income
      and grab the Largest Slice of the Pie....!!!!
      However History shows that this approach is seldom good for the 'Customer' as you would
      end up Paying More for the same or Less in the Long Run.

      Just a Thought.............


      It's still on the cards.

      I don't have any details about when Sky will launch it yet, nor pricing and packages. Sky have signed the deal with O2 and there will be something later this year.

      Sky Q should be launched to the public a little sooner. Personally I'm hoping that it will be towards the end of this month. Sky often make big announcements just before they post the 6 month figures.

      Of course all companies want as much income as possible. This isn't just limited to Sky. As an example Tesco wants to rule the world through retail, or should that be 'of retail'? I can never remember .

      PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

     

     
    Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    SkyUser - Copyright © 2006-2020. SatDish and NewsreadeR | SkyUser is in no way affiliated with Sky Broadband / BSkyB
    RIPA NOTICE: NO CONSENT IS GIVEN FOR INTERCEPTION OF PAGE TRANSMISSION